PDA

View Full Version : first time 3 stooge run

mr cos
05-26-2017, 11:07 AM
Just thought I'd recap my first private boat experience.

Took a friends 23' parker to get the lines wet out on the big blue on wendesday. Didnt know what to expect, we where worried about the fog and stuff that morning. We left the little marina in long beach around 530am. (In hindsight we should of prepped earlier and could of got out quicker) It was a nice ride out to the rock jetty (or whatever its called), myself and my 2 fishing buddies. I came eqquiped with 3 rods. A larger penn spinner, my older tld15 paired with a 9ft calstarr rod, and a smaller shimano round baitcaster outfit on a 8ft rod. We packed frozen squid and a bunch of lures, etc.

By 6am we hit one of the rigs (3 sisters I believe) and drifted for a bit. The bite was hot once we got our lines in the water. The problem is we didnt rig up initially so we burned up some time setting up our gear. I had a hell of a time with my baitcaster outfit because I had a nice loop in the reel once I got to the braid. :mad: So I busted out the TLD and fiddled with getting it rigged up. it was the first time I have used that set up and my first time using a lever drag reel so I struggled a little bit. Once I got a little handle on it I got bit like crazy, using a leadhead and some cut squid. I was able to land a nice looking calico just a 1/2 inch short! lol the rest of us got a couple of shorty mixed bass. It was fun but where looking to try some other spots. we hit the flats, izores, etc. Not much action after that besides a couple of sand dabs. the water temp I believed was low 60's water was relatively calm, slight overcast, not too hot. We only stayed till about noon or so, I was exhausted having worked all day before and only getting like 3 hrs sleep. :EyePop: But I think it was worth it!

Anyways, good trial run for us, hoping to do it again soon. This time making sure everything is ready before hand and we try to leave a little earlier. Heard later that the cattle boats did good over at the islands so maybe thats the plan for next time? Anyway it was good to get that wiff of the salty air! lol
laters

AndyJ
06-13-2017, 03:25 AM
Just thought I'd recap my first private boat experience.

Took a friends 23' parker to get the lines wet out on the big blue on wendesday. Didnt know what to expect, we where worried about the fog and stuff that morning. We left the little marina in long beach around 530am. (In hindsight we should of prepped earlier and could of got out quicker) It was a nice ride out to the rock jetty (or whatever its called), myself and my 2 fishing buddies. I came eqquiped with 3 rods. A larger penn spinner, my older tld15 paired with a 9ft calstarr rod, and a smaller shimano round baitcaster outfit on a 8ft rod. We packed frozen squid and a bunch of lures, etc.

By 6am we hit one of the rigs (3 sisters I believe) and drifted for a bit. The bite was hot once we got our lines in the water. The problem is we didnt rig up initially so we burned up some time setting up our gear. I had a hell of a time with my baitcaster outfit because I had a nice loop in the reel once I got to the braid. :mad: So I busted out the TLD and fiddled with getting it rigged up. it was the first time I have used that set up and my first time using a lever drag reel so I struggled a little bit. Once I got a little handle on it I got bit like crazy, using a leadhead and some cut squid. I was able to land a nice looking calico just a 1/2 inch short! lol the rest of us got a couple of shorty mixed bass. It was fun but where looking to try some other spots. we hit the flats, izores, etc. Not much action after that besides a couple of sand dabs. the water temp I believed was low 60's water was relatively calm, slight overcast, not too hot. We only stayed till about noon or so, I was exhausted having worked all day before and only getting like 3 hrs sleep. :EyePop: But I think it was worth it!

Anyways, good trial run for us, hoping to do it again soon. This time making sure everything is ready before hand and we try to leave a little earlier. Heard later that the cattle boats did good over at the islands so maybe thats the plan for next time? Anyway it was good to get that wiff of the salty air! lol
laters

Nice job getting out there. Sounds like fun fishing. There are log barriers biting in that area now.