PDA

View Full Version : Need Knot Help

sandtrout
03-18-2017, 09:40 PM
I have 4lb mono on a reel and want to add a 5' fluorocarbon leader, also at 4lbs. I've tried a Surgeons knot (2 loops) and another Surgeons knot (3 loops) and a Seaguar knot that THEY say is for joining mono to flouro. None of the knots came undone bot all broke on the knot. I was careful and tied them several times. My next attempt will be tying both sides to a TIPPET RING if I can't find a knot that will work. Anyone else have this problem? Any hints will be appreciated!

Marley
03-18-2017, 10:56 PM
Fluro is brittle and doesn't fare well if knots aren't lubricated. That might be all it takes.

bmachale
03-19-2017, 08:26 AM
Uni to uni works well for me.

gridjockey
03-19-2017, 09:06 AM
use an allbright knot and use the mono to tie the knot.

sandtrout
03-20-2017, 01:12 PM
Fluro is brittle and doesn't fare well if knots aren't lubricated. That might be all it takes.

I probable lick the $h!t out of the line so I don't think it's that but I'll retry it and moisten the line with chapstick and give it another try.

sandtrout
03-20-2017, 01:20 PM
use an allbright knot and use the mono to tie the knot.

I've used this knot with setting up my fly reels and used to use it for tying mono to leadcore but use the Willis knit now. Didn't think of it in this application and will give it a try BECAUSE I'M GETTING DESPERATE!!! I'll let you know how it goes.

Marley
03-20-2017, 01:35 PM
I probable lick the $h!t out of the line so I don't think it's that but I'll retry it and moisten the line with chapstick and give it another try.

OH! Well, you might be licking them too hard then :Twisted: I am not a fan of fluro, but I carry it I guess to have another trick in the box. I prefer just straight, plain old mono, never have much of a problem getting bit. I use clear Ande for everything up to and including 20 lb for Albacore. Well, when we used to get albacore.

sandtrout
03-20-2017, 02:42 PM
Uni to uni works well for me.

I use this knot when I'm joining braid to mono...I'll give it a few tries and post how it went.

Marley
03-20-2017, 08:48 PM
I use this knot when I'm joining braid to mono...I'll give it a few tries and post how it went.

There's a knot called the Roy Rose. Used to attach Fluro to braid. Form a loop, pass the line, several wraps then reverse and snap. A little more to it and a video is much better than writing, but maybe that would work?

BassinPLS
03-21-2017, 11:35 AM
sandtrout,

Here is a link to a Youtube posting on Tackle Warehouse's website that shows Shin Fukae drop shoting with the new Gamakatsu's new swivel hook; but 7 minutes into the video he shows how to tie a really easy knot that I love for tying braided to line to floro. It is super fast to tie and even easy for my old fingers and eyes! I am not sure how it works with mono to floro; but you might give it a try.

Here is the link:
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/vlogpage.html?ccode=VLOG362

CPT.Kirk
03-21-2017, 04:04 PM
I tie flouro to braid and have used the Uni to Uni for years it works good. But as of late I have chosen the John Colins knot to join lines it is also called the RP knot for Royal Polaris it has worked very good for me and it is a smaller knot then the Uni to Uni. I'm sorry I don't have a link but the one I watched was from John Collins himself.
Kirk@bassinthehood.com

sumodnb
03-21-2017, 04:41 PM
Mono-Flouro= Double Uni

Braid-mono or flouro= Alberto

Marley
03-21-2017, 06:21 PM
sandtrout,

Here is a link to a Youtube posting on Tackle Warehouse's website that shows Shin Fukae drop shoting with the new Gamakatsu's new swivel hook; but 7 minutes into the video he shows how to tie a really easy knot that I love for tying braided to line to floro. It is super fast to tie and even easy for my old fingers and eyes! I am not sure how it works with mono to floro; but you might give it a try.

Here is the link:
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/vlogpage.html?ccode=VLOG362

That's a clean looking knot, behaves a lot like the old worm knot. Roy Rose is very similar, I think a little quicker but not enough to crow about. Ends with a quick snap instead of a gentle closing tug. Both are quick, easy and clean. Sure beats tying a Bimini first!

drifter023
03-21-2017, 07:11 PM
I stopped using that over priced line stick to mono for me lost all my big fish that I did hook (stripers) the flouro would snap. I use a little lighter line (mono) for my leader and all is good again but hey just my 2 cents...

sandtrout
03-22-2017, 09:39 AM
I stopped using that over priced line stick to mono for me lost all my big fish that I did hook (stripers) the flouro would snap. I use a little lighter line (mono) for my leader and all is good again but hey just my 2 cents...

Just curious...did your flouro break on the knot, at the hook, or somewhere along the line?

drifter023
03-22-2017, 10:16 AM
Just curious...did your flouro break on the knot, at the hook, or somewhere along the line?
Usually at the hook.

sandtrout
03-22-2017, 06:53 PM
[QUOTE=CPT.Kirk;786941]I tie flouro to braid and have used the Uni to Uni for years it works good. But as of late I have chosen the John Colins knot to join lines it is also called the RP knot for Royal Polaris it has worked very good for me and it is a smaller knot then the Uni to Uni. I'm sorry I don't have a link but the one I watched was from John Collins himself.
Kirk@bassinthehood.com[/QUOT

I'll add it the list of knots to try. I've never used flouro but knots that always work for me all of a sudden AREN'T. I'm trying Seaguar Invisx so maybe it's a brittle brand. If I can find a line to line knot that'll work I'll work on knot (Palomar?) that'll work for the hook.

sumodnb
03-25-2017, 02:28 PM
Try the Alberto For flouro to braid, looks intimidating but after a little practice I can tie in 30 seconds. I trust this knot over ALL others, its a chinese finger trap style knot so the more the fish pulls the tighter it gets and the stress is spread throughout the knot instead of a single point. I use this on my all my Tuna rigs and it has never failed at the knot. super small diameter makes it ideal for freshwater application.

sumodnb
03-25-2017, 02:30 PM
[QUOTE=CPT.Kirk;786941]I tie flouro to braid and have used the Uni to Uni for years it works good. But as of late I have chosen the John Colins knot to join lines it is also called the RP knot for Royal Polaris it has worked very good for me and it is a smaller knot then the Uni to Uni. I'm sorry I don't have a link but the one I watched was from John Collins himself.
Kirk@bassinthehood.com[/QUOT

I'll add it the list of knots to try. I've never used flouro but knots that always work for me all of a sudden AREN'T. I'm trying Seaguar Invisx so maybe it's a brittle brand. If I can find a line to line knot that'll work I'll work on knot (Palomar?) that'll work for the hook.

San Diego Jam for the hook, quick as the palomar but like the alberto spreads the stress throughout the knot.