PDA

View Full Version : Loat Lake 3/11/2017

old pudd fisher
03-11-2017, 06:23 PM
Took a little drive around the Cajon Pass area this morning and stopped by Lost lake to check it out. Total burn out from the fire but is now holding a little water from this winters rain. It looks pretty lost I must say.49695496964969749698

GhettoBasster
03-11-2017, 10:56 PM
Sad. Thanks for posting.

Viejo
03-12-2017, 08:33 AM
It will be years before the lake holds enough water to have a fishery again. The positive is that the complete burn off eliminated the thick bushes and shrubs that the undesirables to be able to hide in and do their thing. They're still at it down the canyon. I do see that even a burnt out cement table on a moonscape is worthy of "claiming". They must be running out of nice places to deface.

I do have to chuckle at the numerous reports of Lost Lake having no bottom. Pretty much was never more then 12 feet deep at it's best.

BassinPLS
03-12-2017, 09:09 AM
At least it looks as if someone took the time to pick-up all of the trash. Kudos to whomever did it!

TUNAVIC
03-12-2017, 09:53 AM
Kinda sad looking.

Cya Tuna Vic

Viejo
03-12-2017, 02:44 PM
At least it looks as if someone took the time to pick-up all of the trash. Kudos to whomever did it!

The trash burned in the massive fire storm that raced through the area very soon after the fire started a could of miles below. There was a wall of flame that came up Swarthout Canyon that destroyed most homes and almost killed several firefighters. Pretty much the entire area is nuked for a few years and because fire was so intense, the Chaparral may type convert to something else. The heat did make much of the soil hydrophobic and the water now just runs off instead of soaking in.

Sadly, just minutes before the fire reached the lake, the last helo dipped water out and raced to try and save some houses up the canyon. The entire area was still covered with the trash of several decades till the fire hit. When you walk the ground now, you are amazed at the amount of broken glass.

castle
03-12-2017, 03:22 PM
The trash burned in the massive fire storm that raced through the area very soon after the fire started a could of miles below. There was a wall of flame that came up Swarthout Canyon that destroyed most homes and almost killed several firefighters. Pretty much the entire area is nuked for a few years and because fire was so intense, the Chaparral may type convert to something else. The heat did make much of the soil hydrophobic and the water now just runs off instead of soaking in.

Sadly, just minutes before the fire reached the lake, the last helo dipped water out and raced to try and save some houses up the canyon. The entire area was still covered with the trash of several decades till the fire hit. When you walk the ground now, you are amazed at the amount of broken glass.

Its back again, Maybe once the water clears the bucket brigades can put some bass and bluegill in.

old pudd fisher
03-12-2017, 03:23 PM
49702Busted glass everywhere !!

old pudd fisher
03-12-2017, 03:58 PM
497044970549706More of the burn area and check out the bullet holes in the bathroom door.49703

carpanglerdude
03-29-2017, 10:19 AM
497044970549706More of the burn area and check out the bullet holes in the bathroom door.49703

Is that Lost Lake? Or a different area? Just wondering what it looks like right now

DarkShadow
03-29-2017, 10:34 AM
I do have to chuckle at the numerous reports of Lost Lake having no bottom. :LOL: Now I have to go dig that thread up and reminisce.