PDA

View Full Version : any tips on bluegill and bass fishing from shore at DVL ?

rcdub
01-27-2017, 10:27 PM
hey whats sup guys...i was wondering if anybody has any tips they dont mind sharing on shore fishing Dvl

Skinny
01-28-2017, 08:51 AM
Its been pretty tough, I dont fish from shore but id say fish for trout or find a place that has deep water close to shore if ur trying for bluegill and bass. It'll get a whole lot better in a couple months. The terrain around shore is pretty rough so bring your hiking boots and your snake bite kit. Ive heard theres a ton of rattlers that like to sun on the rocks along the shore. Good luck out there.

rcdub
01-28-2017, 01:37 PM
thanks bro i appreciate the help...do you think ill have better luck at perrris from shore

Skinny
01-28-2017, 06:48 PM
Not sure, i do know that Perris is much easier to get around the shore but its been rough fishing there too. If I were going id go to DVL.

rcdub
01-28-2017, 07:56 PM
thanks man

Boat Man
01-29-2017, 09:55 AM
Read all the doom and gloom reports about snakes, diseased fish, wild dogs, mosquitoes, bears, alligators etc. with a grain of salt. Some guys post this stuff as a ploy to discourage folks from going to their favorite spots. Not to say there aren't snakes around, of course there are, but just saying I've seen it a lot. But I'm sure Skinny is an up and up guy. But when you see this stuff just check with the local game and fish.

rcdub
01-29-2017, 12:49 PM
thanks Boat man i appreciate the insight bro...ill make sure to do my due diligence

bassnet
01-29-2017, 06:50 PM
Sometimes there are a couple snakes at DVL... Not to discourage anybody from hitting it up, but be careful in the warmer months. This pic is from last spring when the water was coming up and I got a hitchhiker in Rawson when the boat was up close to the bushes in the rising water. Good times when you look back while on plane and see this, lol

Ifishtoolittle
01-29-2017, 09:41 PM
Those snakes actually swim across the surface of the water. Had one swim up to my feet when I was sitting on the edge of a rental.

twin22s
01-30-2017, 12:15 AM
Bass and bluegill love cover and can be caught year round, DVL is for the most part a big hole in the ground so whatever's rocks, sticks or even ledges will hold fish. Yes during the colder months they will be deeper but they will be relating to some sort of structure. For the gills I'd fish a cut night crawler or meal worm under a bobber, or on a drop shot rig for deeper water. Texas rig robo worm works great for bass holding on the deeper structure for me. Best advice I can give though is to adapt the techniques you are familiar with to the situation. I can't catch a bass on a jerkbait to save my life but stick em year round on plastic worms at every lake I have ever fished.

Ifishtoolittle
01-30-2017, 01:49 AM
My mom caught a massive 12" gill' on a whole fat nightcrawler and a size 1 owner on a 1/4oz C-rig one winter when we were there drifting for Stripers by the inlet tower.

rcdub
01-30-2017, 01:13 PM
thanks for the info guys...i really appreciate it and i would of shitted myself if seeing that snake lol

BassinPLS
02-01-2017, 07:30 AM
rcdub,

A buddy of mine fished DVL last weekend and said it was really tuff. He's a great stick, (won Angler of the Year in our bass club). When he says it was really tuff, I know it is! DVL should start turning on by the end of February when the males move up, start making beds and the Mommies come looking for a bed & company! It will get much better from shore at that time...and stay good until the weather gets too warm!

rcdub
02-02-2017, 09:49 PM
appreciate the info sir

crappiemike
02-03-2017, 12:51 AM
My mom caught a massive 12" gill' on a whole fat nightcrawler and a size 1 owner on a 1/4oz C-rig one winter when we were there drifting for Stripers by the inlet tower.

12 in. bluegill ,,,

did you guys kill it?

cm

Ifishtoolittle
02-03-2017, 01:43 AM
12 in. bluegill ,,,

did you guys kill it?

cm

I believe we tossed it back since it was the only one we got that day, not enough to make a decent meal for several people. I have though gotten solid limits of good ones in the past when the lake had stable water levels. That was years ago though.