KILL A CARP and FISH FOR FREE!
KILL A CARP and TENT CAMP FOR FREE!
KILL A CARP, PROOF REQUIRED!
LAKE CUYAMACA NEEDS YOUR HELP!
KILL A CARP!

Ifishtoolittle
01-08-2017, 05:11 PM
Crazy.

I'd have a hard time killing a carp. They fight so good, better than any freshwater fish I've ever caught in Socal. A 5lb carp fights many times harder than even my pb 7lb LMB. I do wonder how big the ones are at Cuyamaca. I'd love to try for some if there are 20lbers lurking around.

etucker1959
01-08-2017, 05:59 PM
I've only been there once but I thought the management was goofy!!! Here's why I didn't have much respect for the management team who ran the lake. We drove down in the summer time to catch some Crappie and Bullhead catfish. They sorta were biting so we were planning on C&R our catch. Once we got there they said we must "KILL EVERYTHING WE CATCH!!" (with the exception of Sturgeon) Do you know that was the last summer I ever heard them brag about their Crappie & Bullhead fishing!!! (I wonder why??????)

drifter023
01-08-2017, 06:14 PM
You know how good sturgeon taste ��

Ifishtoolittle
01-08-2017, 09:57 PM
I've only been there once but I thought the management was goofy!!! Here's why I didn't have much respect for the management team who ran the lake. We drove down in the summer time to catch some Crappie and Bullhead catfish. They sorta were biting so we were planning on C&R our catch. Once we got there they said we must "KILL EVERYTHING WE CATCH!!" (with the exception of Sturgeon) Do you know that was the last summer I ever heard them brag about their Crappie & Bullhead fishing!!! (I wonder why??????)

I kinda get why they would want to KILL the crappie and bullheads. Those species reproduce like wildfire and if left uncheck become stunted after several generations. Although I feel like the bass population should keep them in check. Who knows. Then again, there's a overpopulation of carp apparently.

etucker1959
01-08-2017, 10:19 PM
I kinda get why they would want to KILL the crappie and bullheads. Those species reproduce like wildfire and if left uncheck become stunted after several generations. Although I feel like the bass population should keep them in check. Who knows. Then again, there's a overpopulation of carp apparently.

In theory that is correct about over populated and stunted fish. However, how many lakes in the LA/Orange County area have that problem??? In reality I wish a whole bunch of them did!!! Can you imagine taking a bunch of kids fishing and catch fish after fish even though they might be small. A problem I wish more lakes had!!!!

etucker1959
01-08-2017, 10:34 PM
I thought this was interesting, it is posted on
signs around lake and on the website.

We need your help getting rid of Carp!

CARP ANGLERS WANTED, CONVENTIONAL ROD AND REEL, SPEAR, OR BOW
KILL A CARP!

Wouldn't it be funny if the Carp weren't really the problem, but their own mis management was the main culprit. Yet their making the poor Carp the scape goat. (I'm just guessing they really might have a serious Carp problem) But has any other lake other then Lake Elsinore gone to such drastic measures over Carp???? As I said earlier, I thought their rules were a bit peculiar to say the least. The very nice boat attendant told me the rules for keeping everything you catch was there because people didn't know how to properly release fish. That is understandable for Trout, but Bullhead Catfish and Crappie. Those are two of the easiest fish to C&R and have them survive.

goodguy
01-09-2017, 08:42 AM
Big Bear is a lake that they prefer that you kill all carp. Hence the bowfishing tournements they have. But they don't post signs like Cuyamaca...

seal
01-09-2017, 08:57 AM
You want to see what carp and stunted crappie do to a lake go to Gregory. This is a sound management tactic for Cuyamaca and they manage the lake strictly which makes good sense to me. Nobody wants Cuyamaca to change from a trout and largemouth lake to a trophy carp lake, well except for one or two.

briseno09
01-09-2017, 12:46 PM
I thought this was interesting, it is posted on
signs around lake and on the website.

We need your help getting rid of Carp!

CARP ANGLERS WANTED, CONVENTIONAL ROD AND REEL, SPEAR, OR BOW
KILL A CARP!

I was thinking of heading out there this weekend after I read your post, but then I saw that it is 2.5 hours away from me and opted out. haha
Thanks for the heads up!

GhettoBasster
01-09-2017, 01:00 PM
I wish Arrowhead would let outsiders fish there if they promised to kill some carp. Definitely an underfished lake that has a huge carp problem.

GhettoBasster
01-09-2017, 01:02 PM
Nobody wants Cuyamaca to change from a trout and largemouth lake to a trophy carp lake, well except for one or two.

He's talking to you IF2L!!! You carp lover!!

briseno09
01-09-2017, 02:42 PM
Appreciate the effort from the lake, but they could've gotten someone else other than the 17 year old bro who drinks Monster for breakfast to come up with the wording for the signs.

The ole "Kill Kill Kill" "Slay Slay Slay" mentality is for guys who haven't quite evolved yet:

http://i.imgur.com/DPVB1oN.jpg

I almost thought this was social media. I was looking for a "Like" button!

I'll post this instead: :LOL:

DarkShadow
01-09-2017, 02:50 PM
Appreciate the effort from the lake, but they could've gotten someone else other than the 17 year old bro who drinks Monster for breakfast to come up with the wording for the signs.

The ole "Kill Kill Kill" "Slay Slay Slay" mentality is for guys who haven't quite evolved yet:

Could've used "cull," "manage," even "harvest."

But let's use "kill!"

Smart idea, that'll get everyone on board.

etucker1959
01-09-2017, 04:01 PM

Could've used "cull," "manage," even "harvest."

But let's use "kill!"

Smart idea, that'll get everyone on board.
As I said in my earlier post on the subject, "Goofy" management at that lake!!!! lol But the Kid who ran the boat docks was one of the nicest people I met in along time. When he saw our plan to rent a row boat but then put my trolling motor on it at the courtesy dock 300 feet away. He offered to row the boat there for us!!! I told him that was really nice of you to offer to do that for us, but as junior high school kid we use to row a boat to Sierra cove at Irvine lake. (that's not exactly a hop skip and a jump from the boat docks back then!!!)

JAG107
01-09-2017, 06:06 PM
I fished Cuyamaca once for an October weekend about 7 years ago. We caught one trout on PB, one on mack (!?), and on Saturday afternoon while drifting, we found the crappie. We limited out in less than an hour. This is about 10 people all using a piece of an orange powerworm. There were so many crappie in that lake it was ridiculous. Off course, C&R at that place is grounds for execution, so we kept all those palm sized slabbies and spent hours carving them up. The one couple we were with that said they;d wait for morning to do it and left them in their cooler for tomorrow woke up to an empty cooler. They found their stringer off in the bushes with a single jawbone stuck to it. Those pesky coons!

crappiemike
01-09-2017, 07:08 PM
I fished Cuyamaca once for an October weekend about 7 years ago. We caught one trout on PB, one on mack (!?), and on Saturday afternoon while drifting, we found the crappie. We limited out in less than an hour. This is about 10 people all using a piece of an orange powerworm. There were so many crappie in that lake it was ridiculous. Off course, C&R at that place is grounds for execution, so we kept all those palm sized slabbies and spent hours carving them up. The one couple we were with that said they;d wait for morning to do it and left them in their cooler for tomorrow woke up to an empty cooler. They found their stringer off in the bushes with a single jawbone stuck to it. Those pesky coons!

there is a limit for the crappies over
there right now...
certain groups of people were taking
hundreds every day.

cm

carpanglerdude
01-13-2017, 03:41 PM
Selective harvest, sure.

Kill, kill, kill - meh...childish