PDA

View Full Version : Always something in the ocean

efishent
01-04-2017, 08:49 PM
The ocean was flat again- no swell or wind, light rain, clear water, so I needed to get out before the end of the day.
My first look at the water made me pull over and stop and watch:
I don’t recall seeing so many birds near shore (0-100+ft) for a long time.* For a mile they were like solid floating carpet– all species and under them I saw dolphins, porpoises and seals messing around. And what usually is a light sandy bottom under clear water had giant areas of dark ‘structure’ which were, of course, schools of anchovies. They were so thick that I would run an LC and snag them.*That’s an old LC with single hook (point) left on last treble and 2 on first. I had to drive away to find some water to cast.*

And the fishing was great.* Every hole produced – the old faithful ones from 2 years ago and the ones that I would just pick at random: can there be something there? Yep.** I could also see them even w/o polarized lenses: smelt, perch , and sharks swimming around in shallows, corbina scattering when I approached them and halibut darting from under my feet.
I did take time to measure catches and here’re the results:

Halibut (5) all 17-20”, no legals
BSP (20+) , all >10” and the year’s best (3 days into it) 15” pig
Walleye SP (1) at 8”
Giant smelt (3) 16-18”
Anchovies (many snagged) New species?

Ornery Bob
01-05-2017, 07:20 AM
Wow! What a day! Thanks for the report!

vdisney
01-06-2017, 06:35 AM
Dang, it's been three months since I've ran into bait balls. Congrats on a stellar day

murrieta angler
01-06-2017, 07:23 AM
Very nice!!
In the right place at the right time..:Big Grin:
Robert
<><

fishincrave
01-06-2017, 09:34 AM
wow nice going haven't seen bait balls in a while hope this is good sign...

acg
01-06-2017, 09:09 PM
this is in socal?! Where?! haha Nice report

TUNAVIC
01-07-2017, 08:45 AM
Plenty of life there for sure,always nice to see.

Cya Tuna Vic

briseno09
01-09-2017, 12:58 PM
Congrats on the amazing day! It's a bummer you didn't land any legal Halibutt. Which rod and set up were you using?

bones
01-09-2017, 05:51 PM
At least there is bait in the surf zone still in VC. Samo is getting pretty slim. Your lucky you didn't add multiple species of birds to your list as well using an LC...LOL

efishent
01-09-2017, 09:06 PM
At least there is bait in the surf zone still in VC. Samo is getting pretty slim. Your lucky you didn't add multiple species of birds to your list as well using an LC...LOL

Didn't see any bird species I haven't caught before so opted for fish this time.
Now that someone asked about my cheepo setup (shimano solstice/new with shimano rod/very old) I will mention that I did hook up very large fish that by the view of belly and fins appeared to be striper but it broke off few feet away from me taking my old LC for souvenir. After saying goodbyes to both I concluded that 10 lb line and too tight drag were at fault. Didn't want to report on that until I land one but that's the story about untested reel. I would have released it anyway but that fish had trust issues..