PDA

View Full Version : Trout fishing at Wohlford (part 2)

etucker1959
12-19-2016, 09:00 AM
I said I was going to give this lake another try to see if I truly have my trout MoJO back. Or I just got lucky and went last week on opening day when every Tom & Dick and Harry could catch fish. We were going to change the variables around even a little more on this trip. We were going to go on Sunday Dec 18 (5 day's after the last plant) and not get there till 8:30 am. (too cold for me at 6:00 am) and I wasn't going to help Glenn my fishing partner. (Glenn should know how to trout fish by now) I want to say something before I get started about how the fishing went. What is with "ALL THE FAKE REPORTING GOING ON????" Is someone try to steer people in the wrong direction or what???? Or are some people just plain stupid!!!!! Here's what I'm talking about. Most people want to know what are the best bait's working and the best locations to fish at Lake Wohlford. First and most important the Fish are biting at the "EAST BUOYS!!!!" Everything I read say's "WEST END BUOY"S!!!" This was reported in "WON" and in every fish report I read on the internet and the lakes website. Is it really that hard to confuse West vs East!!!! (I don't think so or I surely don't hope so!!!!) Enough said about that, but what about the baits???? Everything I read about that was wrong too!!! I'll just tell you what we used and what I saw that worked. Mini jigs worked great, power mice and the usually power baits worked really well. Everything else seems to be a figment of someones imagination!!!

On to the fishing!!!!

I drove by the West Buoy's just to see what was going on??? "NOTHING of course!!!" (Idiots I thought!!!) Then I blasted down toward the East Buoy's. I knew this wasn't going to be a slam dunk but a grind toward limits since their last stock was 5 day's ago. Glenn was on he's own, so I'm only going to talk about what I was doing most of the day. You can legally fish with 2 poles (with a 2nd rod stamp) so I was going to fish with ole reliable on pole number 1 and experiment with the other pole trying all kinds of different things. What's old reliable???? Orange power bait (Gulp pulp) dipped in garlic and smeared with pro cure sardine. I was pirate Captain again, so we were going to drift all day!!! Most people were anchored up by the reeds but a few were drifting. (might have read my last weeks report) lol It was kinda of a tough day for everyone. Most people had some fish but having above 5 fish per boat means you were doing, "Real Good!!" I knew where to start my drifts based on my experience of last week. First drift I got bit on the Orange power bait, but it was pretty small. (I'm guessing a DFG planted fish) It was hooked right in the mouth so I carefully released him. (yes that's legal and very responsible the way I handled the fish) That's one of the reason's why I use bright RED treble hooks. If you see the hook clearly on the outside of the mouth you can C&R him safely if you do it correctly. (which I did!!!) Next Glenn get's bit on an orange power worm jigged as I'm fighting with the motor. (that's going to be it for Glenn for awhile) Now I'm making drifts right left center of the buoy's. It's a grind but when you hook up it's a nice 3-4 lbs hard fighting Nebraska tail walker!!!! I've got 4 closing in on my limit (all on Orange Gulp pulp power bait) By now Glenn is pretty discouraged and want's to go home. He's throwing all the wrong crap the reports told him to do!!!! So I told him 1 more drift, "I think I can get my limit!!!" In desperation Glenn asked for some Orange Gulp for that last drift. I said,"sure of course!!!" (he only has 1 fish) So I set the boat up for the last drift of the day near the reeds on the north side of the buoy's. When a trout comes behind the boat right on schedule and takes the Orange Gulp for Eric's limit??? No but as a consolation prize for Glenn!!!! It was a nice one too, a hard fighting 3-4 pound tail walker. I'm a little disappointed I didn't quite get my limit but more importantly I think I found a good producing lake!!!

Thanks for reading my story.