PDA

View Full Version : Bishop Canyon Fall Fishing Trip

Dave92706
10-18-2007, 09:26 PM
I just got back Sunday from my annual fishing trip to Bishop Canyon. After a good nap (old guys like me need one ) I decided to get to work and write about our trip. My fishing partner Marlon Meade and myself, always look forward to our annual trip in the fall to the Eastern Sierras. The fall colors and fishing are usually spectacular this time of the year. This year we decided to get a later start in the AM for travelling and stopped at the Owens River to see how the flows were this time of year. After a 3 mile drive down the Warm Springs Road brought us to the Owens River Bridge. We found a family fishing from the bridge and catching some nice rainbows using power bait. The river was low but flowing pretty good. I tried my luck from the bank and caught nada. Marlon urged me to get out my new flyfishing outfit to try to change my luck but I declined due to our travelling time. We arrived at Cardinal Village Resort , unpacked, and went about visiting old friends at the lodge for the rest of the afternoon. The fall color changes were abundant in the aspens but due to several recent cold snaps in weather, a lot of the leaves were a mixture of brown and yellow. Being an avid photographer, I was somewhat disappointed but decided that I wouldn't let it ruin my trip since I'm there for fishing , photography, seeing old friends and in general having a stress relieving vacation from my normal life behind a desk at work.
On Monday, we decided to hit South Lake, one of our favorite lakes to seek out the large Alpers that our friend Smitty (Jared) and company at Parcher's have generiously planted throughout the year.While waiting for the landing to open , I nailed a beautiful 4 lb. Alpers cruising the shore , on a salmon colored (light orange) minijig. Not a bad start to my trip ! We got a boat and headed out to the east side of the lake looking for the Alpers and tossing minijigs. The usual hot spots didn't have the big boys around so we went to the back of the main lake to what is usually an island when the lake is filled but due to the low water level there ,its now a peninsula with a narrow channel going to the back bay where the feeder creeks are. After anchoring down near the inlet opening Marlon's drag on his reel starts screaming and the fish takes a 50 yard run into the inlet and then another 50 yard run out to the main body of the lake and stops. We pull the anchor up and move the boat to the fish only to be disappointed that his fish wrapped around something on the bottom of the lake and Marlon was forced to break off his line. :bang: Marlon got a sight of the fish when he hooked up and estimated the brute to be over 8 lbs. :cry: We continue to pound the shorelines pitching minijigs and hooking up several smaller rainbows during the morning. Towards the afternoon, Marlon hooks up another brute and after a 5 minute battle , a 7.0 lber is landed , high 5's all over and things really started to perk up. The King of Minijigging, Marlon Meade continues to land 3 more brutes all over 4 lbs ! :D :D :D I'm starting to get somewhat concerned that I haven't nailed anymore big boys but hey, that's fishing . Later on my cold streak ends when I hook and land two beautiful 2 lb state tagged fish. :banana: Not a bad 1st day of fishing. Smitty comes out to see how we are doing and is amazed by our catch for the day. He has a digital scale and officially declares Marlon's large trout to be an even 7.0 lbs and the second largest trout caught out of South Lake for the season. :D We leave at dusk happy anglers .
The next day the winds are howling up to 50-60 mph in the Bishop Canyon Basin and I have a blown out back and forced to stay at the lodge nursing it. Marlon goes fishing up at North Lake and comes back with 2 nice 2lb Alpers . Wensday my back is better after some medication and Ben Gay and we are still hampered by heavy winds with a prediction of snow on the horizon. :(
We headed out to Intake II after a late start in the AM . Nothing happening at Intake but I manage several nice rainbows in the 1 lb range using a minijig and bobber on the far side of the lake. Marlon does the same and spends time helping angler's along the shoreline to get bit. Later that day we head back to South Lake when the winds died down and pound the lake again but the heavy winds from yesterday and the morning drove the fish deep . We only managed to hook and release a lot of small guys on jigs.
Thursday with renewed vigor we hit South Lake once more. The whole morning was tough to catch fish as an ensueing cold front is coming in and the temps drop down. Later in the day I'm pitching a 1" Mimic Minnow (green) along the shoreline and get hammered after only 2 turns of my reel handle. Big fish is on ! We're still driftfishing against a heavy cold wind , and my 8foot Shimano Compre is major bendo . The fish comes to the surface and I'm having a tough time trying to gaining on him against the swell and drift ." Marlon, start the engine ! " I hollered . " Naw, you can handle him , " Marlon chuckled. And after several minutes the Meade man nets my big boy. Hoooey ! Big high fives and hollering all over the lake the Alpers weighs 6.4 lbs. The rest of the day nothing big was caught and we left before dusk. Later that evening the rain, then slush, and snow rained down the Eastern Sierras. By morning , there was a beautiful blanket of white covering the Aspen's golden leaves and ground. It was very surreal and just a picture postcard morning on Friday. The photographers outnumbered the anglers that day on the mountain as scores of shutterbugs converged along the roadsides all trying to capture a feeling that can only be described as Winter's arrival call. We decided after chomping down a great breakfast at Cardinal Village Resort's Cafe to fish Intake II again. We heard that Tim Alpers was planting the lake sometime during the day so what better place to hang out. Apparently everyone else had the same idea , and the parking lot was full . Anglers lined along the shoreline dotted by snow covered Aspen trees for what was a magical blend of fall and winter mixed up perfectly by the creator. I fished the area near the dam for one small stocker rainbow while Marlon's fishing and chatting with his buddies by the parking lot area and catching small rainbows one after another (dare I say it ? of course on minijigs). We decided to go get some lunch at Cardinal Lodge and afterward relax at our cabin with a great evening campfire to warm ourselves at dusk.
Saturday was our day to relax and wind down our trip so after a late start in the morning , we headed back to Intake II . This time Marlon lands 2 nice Alpers between 2-3 lbs each and I managed a few small stockers on a Dilly nightcrawler under a bobber at the dam. Later in the day several friends from home show up and Marlon and I give them a tour of the Bishop Basin, ending with them fishing at South Lake to dusk.
Sunday morning we say goodbye to our friends at Cardinal Village and travel home down the 395. Traffic was ridiculous coming home on the 395, due to the tunnel closure on the I 5 freeway accident . As a final note in this annual adventure , I would like to thank our friends Ken and ShaleAnn Cluff , owners of the Cardinal Village Resort and the Smith family of Parcher's resort . Without Parcher's Resort's generous donation of planting trophy size Alper's trout,this trip may not have been as successful as it was. Smitty, you and your family are a class act and we thank you for all your generousity throughout the week. The season ends very shortly and if you want to capture the true meaning of fishing in a place that can only be described as enchantingly beautiful than get yourself up to the Bishop Basin before the season ends.
Dave Finkelstein

ithinkicaught1
10-19-2007, 09:38 PM
thanx for the detailed report. i will be heading up there in two weeks so all the info u provided was great. hope the weather isn't to brutal when we get there. :D

Mike274
10-20-2007, 09:05 AM
Dave,

Was in the area myself with a friend at the same time you guys were, and I must say it was a beautiful sight. Have been making the early October ritual for the past 3 years and the first with snow. We fished Convict as I had never fished there before and make it a point to fish somewhere new every year. Glad to hear you guys did well and had a small question. I fly fish and gear fish as I like both. How, do you guys fish those mini jigs? Are you on top, bottom or in between? Thanks for the info.

Mike

Sierra_Smitty
10-20-2007, 09:22 AM
Excellent report Dave! It was great to see you and Marlon up, you guys are always a lot of fun to have around. I'll see you at the Fred Hall show if not before.

-Smitty

one_leg
10-20-2007, 02:04 PM
Dave, I talked to Marlon yesterday at the Vine and it sounded like you both had a great trip.
Thanks for the report, and congratulations on the big fish.

One_Leg