PDA

View Full Version : Lake Wohlford Tuesday 12/13

gokuguy
12-14-2016, 07:49 PM
I was able to snag a day off work so decided to go exploring solo at Wohlford.

It was my first time there so i wasn't sure quite what to expect. Beautiful lake. Except for the jackhammer going off all day....like...literally ALL day.

I rented a boat and started off by the docks. I saw a couple being picked off here and there from shore and on the boats. I caught both my fish from 7-8 am... a 4 pounder and a 2.5. Both on micetails. I moved around to the west end, the east end, the south shore rockpile to fish for some catfish all for nada. Didn't have any action from 8-1 pm but it was overall a relaxing day on the water.

Hoot951
12-14-2016, 09:26 PM
I was there that day also and it was also my 1st time there. I managed 1 fish a 6lbs 10oz trout my new pb. Its a nice little lake I also met alot of nice people too.

etucker1959
12-15-2016, 06:56 AM
I'm sorry you guys didn't get more fish. But you both seem to have had a good time!!! We are thinking about hitting it up again this Saturday. I do fish Trout a little different then most people. So Saturday going to be the Big test, "were we just lucky we went on opening day???" Or are my Mad Trout skills back???? If we go I'll write a report good or bad and this time I'm going to try for some whisker fish too!!!

gokuguy
12-15-2016, 09:01 PM
Let us know how it goes!! I pretty much use one pole with a micetail on it and one that I cast minijigs/lures with.

I haven't had too much success with trolling or drifting for trout so any tips would be awesome!! For my micetail rig I usually use a 1/8th oz to a 1/4 oz sinker Carolina Rigged with 18-24" leader lengths and a size 8 mosquito hook. When you drift are you just using a small split shot above your bait?

Most of my success has been anchoring up...but I'm always looking to learn new techniques. =)

I only fished for catfish at Wohlford for about an hour with a flylined shrimp and a carolina rigged chicken liver...maybe a different technique would work better?

etucker1959
12-15-2016, 09:22 PM
Let us know how it goes!! I pretty much use one pole with a micetail on it and one that I cast minijigs/lures with.

I haven't had too much success with trolling or drifting for trout so any tips would be awesome!! For my micetail rig I usually use a 1/8th oz to a 1/4 oz sinker Carolina Rigged with 18-24" leader lengths and a size 8 mosquito hook. When you drift are you just using a small split shot above your bait?

Most of my success has been anchoring up...but I'm always looking to learn new techniques. =)

I only fished for catfish at Wohlford for about an hour with a flylined shrimp and a carolina rigged chicken liver...maybe a different technique would work better?

This was my first time to this lake. However, the water clarity and the smooth bottom reminds me so much of SARL and Corona lake. I've killed it there by drifting for 20 years. The beauty of drifting is covering ground. Once you find an area that has biting fish keep going over it til you get the job done. I've had some success drifting for Catfish doing the same thing. Did you know you can keep 5 Trout and 5 Catfish in the same trip!!! (talked to the Rangers yesterday about that and about catch and releasing Trout) 1 trip doesn't prove anything, but this lake has the potential to be the one!!! Now that my other Pay lakes are history. (or almost)

When we were drifting by the East end buoys it was shallow enough to only need a split shot weight to get and keep your bait down near the bottom. The weird thing to most people when drifting is the up and down motion of your pole as your drifting along. When you get a bite it sorta of rattles your pole. If you pick up the pole you will feel a little tap tap and then you can set the hook. Power bait is the easiest bait to use when drifting, it stays on the hook great and the Trout gulp it down pretty quick. (you don't miss that many bites) I think when they see it move away from them it makes them more aggressive. They will bite the power worms too while drifting but it's a little harder to set the hook then with power bait. Because it was so shallow at the East end a night crawler under a bobber might be deadly too. (I have so many things to try!!!) The rain may really dirty the water this weekend and shut down the bite but that's ok, that's how you learn how the lake fishes in different conditions!