PDA

View Full Version : Opening Day (Trout season) Lake Wohlford

etucker1959
12-11-2016, 06:49 AM
Last year was a wake up call for me for my winter time fishing. After having the BEST ever local Saltwater season last year I hit the wall in the freshwater scene last winter. 3 out of 4 of my beloved pay lakes were history. The only one left SARL was Shad infested to my way of fishing. So I went looking around for a replacement. I went Trout fishing about 10 times last year with horrible results!!! I felt like Austin Power did in losing his MoJO!!! This year was going to be different I told myself. I would spare no expense in time energy and research in looking to get my Trout MoJO back!!!!!!. I started off last week at Lake Dixon with a Fair result. (which was better then all of last year) This week Lake Wohlford was having their Trout opener. So I started my research of the Lake and also what happened at Lake Dixon last week. (These 2 are sister lakes in Escondido) The first conclusion is it's going to be crowded and you need a boat. Solution is to get their early!!!!! Set the alarm for 2:00 am and be on the road by 2:45. It's an hour and a half to get there so being in line by 4:30 am will hopefully do the trick. I had taken my friend Glenn with me on this adventure. Since I have never been to this lake before I was going to have to trust my Trout instincts to get the job done.

The crowd wasn't as bad as Dixon's opener by how many cars were ahead of us once we got in line. (Dixon's opener had 200 people waiting in line by 6:00 am) The Rangers had their act together, walking down the line of cars telling everyone they were going to let us in at 5:30 am. Right on schedule the line moved and all's you needed to do was park and get in line at the Ranger station for permits and boat rental. The prices are good!!!! No parking fees and a $7 fishing permit and a $35 price for an all day motor boat rental. Glenn is a senior so it cost us $47 dollars for all day entertainment for the both of us. (fishing isn't cheap is my motto) Since they stocked 6,000 lbs of Nebraska tail walkers prior to us arriving, I think the money was well spent!!! Since the first order of business was accomplished (securing the boat) we now had to find the fish.

This was not my first Rodeo on fishing for stocked fish. So I asked the very nice boat attendant where they stocked the fish at and when???? Right here and 2 day's ago (in 2 day's those fish probably moved) but that's where most everybody started. (within 100 yards of the boat dock) I don't want to be stupid and go exploring when the fish MIGHT be right here!!! It was also still pretty cold and foggy and starting right there was ok by me. We sat there for an hour and caught one pretty unimpressive 1 lb Trout. The most we saw any boat catch was 3 fish so leaving that area was an easy decision. We headed for the Dam trolling along the way looking for anybody either on the shore or in a boat doing any catching to indicate if any biting fish were there. We saw nothing in that whole area of the lake and "VAMOUSED" on out of there!!!! We next headed for the East end of the lake. Everybody we saw down there was fishing next to the reeds. The whole middle of the lake was wide open to fishing and that's "My kind of fishing!!!" I like to pull long drifts offering the Trout the whole kitchen sink of goodies to snack on. We had power bait out there, power mice and mini jigs hoping to entice a strike. It was pretty shallow with no crap on the bottom to snag your baits on. We were bouncing along with no bites till we got near some platform in the water. (it looked like a turned off air rater) Glenn get's bit first on a mini jig and it's a fighter. (a nice 3-4 lbs tailwalker) As soon as he get's it in the boat my Power bait pole goes off!!!! Another nice tailwalker same size, I don't even have this one in when my Power mice pole goes off!!! (3 hook ups in 5 minutes) "WE FOUND THEM!!!!" The best part is, "We are all alone!!!" Nobody is fishing this part of the lake. Everybody else is in a line behind us casting at the Reeds. That's not to say they weren't biting a little bit for them. But for us it was bites every time we would pull a drift. Nice fish too!!!! 3-5 lbs just about every one of them. I soon boxed the area into a small segment so our bites would come pretty quick. Glenn say's let's anchor up???? I had to give him my pirate captains speech. A pirate captain is elected by a vote of all shipmates. But when your in the heat of battle his word is "LAW!!!!" So Glenn said, "you don't care what my opinion is do you????" I said "NOPE!!!" If I don't get us full limits by noon, you can fire me and you can run the boat as captain!!!! Well we did!!!!! We were the first boat back to the boat dock and we left them in a wide open biting mood. The other riff raff (fellow fishermen) were starting to catch them pretty good by the reeds when we left. But that middle section (channel by the east buoys) wasn't even being fished after we left. They bit everything including a troll fish as we were blasting out of there. If you wanted to keep it simple they bit the power bait better then anything else. I guarantee this won't be the last time I fish this lake this season!!!

Thanks for reading my story!!!!

dbfishing
12-11-2016, 07:07 PM
Good report thanks for the info. Wohlford is a fun Spot

nolivebait4bass
12-13-2016, 02:36 PM
Good stuff. We were the second boat in the east end and called in all of our buddies. Our boat (2 people) caught 50-60 and our buddy boats had similar results. Pretty wide open and fun fishing in the crowds (friends).

etucker1959
12-13-2016, 03:15 PM
Good stuff. We were the second boat in the east end and called in all of our buddies. Our boat (2 people) caught 50-60 and our buddy boats had similar results. Pretty wide open and fun fishing in the crowds (friends).

I was going to ask someone, can you Catch and Release at that lake?????

Yot_bird
12-13-2016, 07:48 PM
Technically no just be smart about it. The few ruin it for the many.

bighuff
12-13-2016, 07:49 PM
Be smart about it? You mean like don't post it on a public forum to encourage others to do it?

Limit Time
12-14-2016, 07:44 AM

I wonder how many of those trout survived? Catch and release is tricky, if it was bait then those fish are history. Probably shouldn't have posted your number, it upsets those who abide by the rules.

etucker1959
12-14-2016, 08:17 AM
I wonder how many of those trout survived? Catch and release is tricky, if it was bait then those fish are history. Probably shouldn't have posted your number, it upsets those who abide by the rules.

Catch and Release on Trout are tricky but can be done safely if you know what your doing. My experience was based at fishing LNL for several years where it was legal under certain circumstances to catch & release Trout. Fly fishermen who knew what they were doing would report catches of 50-100 fish caught a day. (with no negative impact on the fishery) A lot of people at Wohlford on Saturday were fishing with Mini jigs. If you hooked a Trout in the mouth (which most of the time you do with a mini jig) and net him but keep him in the water. Then without touching the fish using long skinny pliers to remove the hook you can safely release most fish. Think of it this way, if 3 people caught 45 fish and followed my procedure. You could still have a death rate of 33% and still not impact the fishery more then just keeping your limits at 15 fish!!! I know if I could write I would have made a great Lawyer!!! lol But if you were using Power Bait shame on you!!!! (I'll bet you weren't) lol

Yot_bird
12-14-2016, 08:33 AM
Be smart about it? You mean like don't post it on a public forum to encourage others to do it?

Exactly. Especially on a board where the lake posts. I've been kicked out of a lot of lakes for releasing fish. I don't fish bait but rules are rules.

seal
12-14-2016, 09:00 AM
Gotta love that pay to fish trout lake drama! Oh and nice stringer nolivebait4bass. Stay on that trout bite cause there sure as hell ain't nothing going on with the big striper bite wise at the Wood.

etucker1959
12-14-2016, 09:59 AM
Gotta love that pay to fish trout lake drama! Oh and nice stringer nolivebait4bass. Stay on that trout bite cause there sure as hell ain't nothing going on with the big striper bite wise at the Wood.

Glad you chimed in!!! I have a legitimate question for you??? Can you C/R Trout in Big Bear, Sliverwood or any of the other mountain lakes. (You are the expert on this board in that neck of the woods)

etucker1959
12-14-2016, 03:05 PM
I love being the OP on threads because I'm not too worried about what I say. But with that being said, instead of me being burned at the stake for speaking too Frank on an open Web site. You should do your own research on the issue of catch & release at Lake Wohlford. I did but I won't say what I found out!!!!

hookdfisherman
12-14-2016, 06:17 PM

just read the drivel

one thing you gotta 'member about dood#2...

he voted for clitn

and is still pouting about her grandiose loss

oh, another thing...

this guy is still trying to prove that whatever he posts on a public forum doesn't have any effect on a "locals spot"

just the fact that we all know that fish move around

should tell you...

that fish move around

this boner is pulling your leg

like gaga pulls on my *ahem leg...

he's probably down at the lake laughing at all you idiots fishing that spot...

whether it's a real spot and you catch fish is besides the point

go find your own fish

they're there

really

go hunting for fish

don't fall for this monkey's poo flinging

you don't fall for his clitn crappe, do you?

lol, be men...

don't trip all over yourselves because this idiot spews...

hookdfisherman
12-14-2016, 06:28 PM

oh and d um bunny fishding

i see you got a hankering for epucker man

love love love !

hookdfisherman
12-14-2016, 11:55 PM

Good report thanks for the info. Wohlford is a fun Spot

I bet it is....

can you show us on this doll

which spot

is the

most fun for you?

seal
12-16-2016, 09:19 AM
No restrictions at either BBL of Silverwood, lakes that are stocked by other sources than DFW (pay to fish) can implement their own policy's. Catch and release with poser bait or other stinky crap and worms should never be attempted, that is a recipe for floaters.

dbfishing
12-16-2016, 09:32 AM
Hey hooked get lost. get sick of going on this forum and seeing your name your usless.

etucker1959
12-16-2016, 11:43 AM
No restrictions at either BBL of Silverwood, lakes that are stocked by other sources than DFW (pay to fish) can implement their own policy's. Catch and release with poser bait or other stinky crap and worms should never be attempted, that is a recipe for floaters.

Thank you very much for your response!!! I hate to say it but recently there has been some "False" information reported on here in regards to regulations.

A little soap box time. (Seal say's I knew it!!!!) lol Every body of water has it's own regulations. So just because a sister lake like Dixon compared to Wolhford has it's set of rules doesn't mean the same rules apply to that other similar body of water. Best example of comparing Dixon to Wolhford is fishing licenses. You need one to fish at Wolhford but you don't need one to fish Dixon. Freshwater fishing vs Saltwater fishing has tons of different rules for doing the same thing. (a good example is snagging) Do it in the Freshwater you are a 1st Class poacher!!!! But it is permitted in the Salt. So please people especially if you go after someone. Know the rules first before you boil someone in oil!!! Just so everybody knows, "Catch & Release is legal in Wolhford for trout." But it is, "NOT ENCOURAGED!!!!" As said by one of the Rangers. Be responsible if you do practice C&R!!! Which means as Seal said, "Don't even think about it if you're fishing with Power Bait!!!!" Those are the rules and a common sense approach in following them!!!!!

hookdfisherman
12-16-2016, 12:01 PM

Thank you very much for your response!!! I hate to say it but recently there has been some "False" information reported on here in regards to regulations.

A little soap box time. (Seal say's I knew it!!!!) lol Every body of water has it's own regulations. So just because a sister lake like Dixon compared to Wolhford has it's set of rules doesn't mean the same rules apply to that similar body of water. Best example is fishing licenses. You need one at Wolhford but don't need one at Dixon. Freshwater fishing vs Saltwater fishing has tons of different rules. (a good example is snagging) Do it in the Freshwater you are a 1st Class poacher!!!! But it is permitted in the Salt. So please people especially if you go after someone. Know the rules first before you boil someone in oil!!! Just so everybody knows, "Catch & Release is legal in Wolhford for trout." But it is, "NOT ENCOURAGED!!!!" As said by Ranger Robert.

Yeah doll boy

So that's the body part you enjoy my action on, is it?

I'll definitely keep that in mind as I drive it home

If thine eye offends thee, phluck it out

Juss seeing my name or reading my comment hurts your as's?

Lol

Read you pucker boy's comment.

Learn the rules before you open your mouth

You'll be happier if you do

It's called the golden rule

Learn it live it be it

It was written for the likes of you

And pretty much everyone I've ever responded to

Don't like me much?

We can banter about it if you can handle it

But we all know you only handle puck's banter

Ain't dat right...

Btw, where is it again that you like puck's banter?

dbfishing
12-16-2016, 12:43 PM
Sorry hooked get the cack out your mouth can't understand you and your non sense Hope to see you on the lake someday but that would require you getting off here posting your bs

etucker1959
12-16-2016, 01:52 PM
Sorry hooked get the cack out your mouth can't understand you and your non sense Hope to see you on the lake someday but that would require you getting off here posting your bs

Yea Hook try to be a team player!!!! I would even invite you to go fishing with me some time and try to ed- u- ma- cate you on how to be a decent internet player!!!!!!

hookdfisherman
12-16-2016, 04:54 PM

hey suck wad

i rite that way just so u d umb ies

will respond

meet at the water?

sure puccy

anytime

get tires of you boners

calling peeps out

maybe when i get done typing

i get to water

and see what ya got

chyump

at least some smarter ones

juss quit reding my stuff

but nooo

you must like the smell my doose

u wanna whiff

summor?

i think i'll start calling u deuce bag fishdingleberry

from now on

it's a lot to type

but you're pretty deserving of the extreee work

i never bothered u

what's ur problem?

ohhh

i forget

you're deuce bag fishingdingleberry boy

that splains it all

btw

if you fish at all in this southern area

i have probably already seen you

in all my travels

i've fished with a lot of members already

even shopped at the same store

with some

so if i ever finger out

who ju are

i dropp trou and you can sniff a whiff away

awe dae elong...

listen though boy, you leave me alone

i leave you alone

you started this

juss remember

if you stop what u start

i win!

lol

you get it?

no?

think on boy...

hookdfisherman
12-16-2016, 05:23 PM

Yea Hook try to be a team player!!!! I would even invite you to go fishing with me some time and try to ed- u- ma- cate you on how to be a decent internet player!!!!!!

yhanks

ey think

does anyone know what it's like to do the tuna shuffle with this dude?

(deuce bag, how is it? oh that's right... you'd be the tuna in your guys'es relationship)

but seriously... (for everyone)

is he as great a feeshermen as he claims to be?

or does he fish like he writes?

etucker1959
12-16-2016, 06:10 PM

yhanks

ey think

does anyone know what it's like to do the tuna shuffle with this dude?

(deuce bag, how is it? oh that's right... you'd be the tuna in your guys'es relationship)

but seriously... (for everyone)

is he as great a feeshermen as he claims to be?

or does he fish like he writes?

Why don't you go fishing with me and find out for yourself????

hookdfisherman
12-16-2016, 06:27 PM

Why don't you go fishing with me and find out for yourself????

alreadyhavedood#2

I've seen you sitting at the corner of alicante and whatever

catfishing

ur chubby right?

lol

dbfishing
12-16-2016, 07:09 PM
Lol @ HookedOnHeroin. Stfu

hookdfisherman
12-16-2016, 07:41 PM

Lol @ HookedOnHeroin. Stfu

yeah

that's what i thought

it's meth

Meth

METH

get it rite

ddeuce bag

'scuse me i'm gonna go drop a deuce, i'll be thinking of you as i grunt it

hookdfisherman
12-16-2016, 07:44 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QUnSTxFZfw

etucker1959
12-16-2016, 09:07 PM

alreadyhavedood#2

I've seen you sitting at the corner of alicante and whatever

catfishing

ur chubby right?

lol

I guess you have!!!! Was I whipping them in at the time???? lol

hookdfisherman
12-16-2016, 09:26 PM

I guess you have!!!! Was I whipping them in at the time???? lol

just kidding

i don't know if it was you

do you sit at the west end?

on the asphalt

where all the frisbees land in the water?