PDA

View Full Version : Boat trailer repair..HELP!!!

Jikser
10-18-2007, 02:48 PM
Anyone know of a reputable mobile service or someone that can replace the hubs of my trailer? Wheel bearings are shot and cannot take it to a shop without risking anymore damage. Im now limited to repairing it in my driveway. Thanks in advance.

187fish
10-18-2007, 09:16 PM
It's really not that hard to do yourself, just jack one side up enough to get the tire off, remove the bearing buddy (if you have them), remove the pin in front of the axle nut, unscrew nut, remove the washer in front of the front bearing, and gently remove the hub, you may need to tap on it with a rubber mallet. Look inside the hub and you will see a seal and behind that the bearings, remove them and make sure to get the bearing chases. Clean the axle and the hub and inspect for damage. If the axle or the threads on the axle are damaged, thats a whole other can of worms, but I'll assume that they are OK. If the hub is damaged it needs to be replaced probably along with the bearings and seals. Clean all the removed parts and take to a local marine shop to match the needed parts. I would recommend buying extra seals and bearings just in case and their always good to have extras of. Once new parts are acquired, pack bearings with a good molly marine bearing grease and install in the hub, gently install new seal in backside of hub. Now you slide the new assembly on to the axle until you feel the seal seat. Next step is to put the washer back in front of the outside bearing and tighten nut,(critical to not over tighten nut, just a pinch more than hand tight). Reinstall lock pin and bearing buddy. Grease it and check the hub for play, it should spin relatively freely but there should be no movement up/down or side to side. Finally reinstall tire. Repeat process for the other side. It is pretty easy and only takes about 2 hours. Sorry I don't know of any mobile trailer repair, but I hope this helps some. Forgot to add that after it's all done take it for a test pull and listen for bearing noise ie. squealing etc. After you put a little speed and distance on it, check the hub for heat, normally they will get warm, but if they're hot then there's a problem, either bearings weren't packed properly or there is not enough grease. Hope this helped and good luck.

Jikser
10-20-2007, 12:39 AM
Thanks 187.

I managed to break off the wheel studs upon removing the wheels. Now, I really need to replace the hubs along with the bearings. Im taking it to a trailer shop this weekend to get parts in reference of what I need. Man, I need to get this going soon...Im itching to go hooping, boat has been dry for 2 months.

187fish
10-20-2007, 10:07 AM

I managed to break off the wheel studs upon removing the wheels.

It happens, check to see if the studs are removable, on some hubs the studs can be replaced.

trlrtrsh67
10-20-2007, 10:10 AM
You should be able to have new studs pressed or bolted in depending on style of stud. Hubs, I would assume, will be ok you'll probably just need new bearings and races. Depending on your mechanical abilities, just take the hubs/bearnings/studs with you and get the needed parts replaced and put it all back together. Before puting the lugnuts back on apply some Anti-Seize (avail at any parts store if not the boatshop) to the studs and torque the nuts down according to specs. 99.9% of the time hubs are just fine and its just a bearing/race issue. Hubs aren't a wear item, it's the bearing/race combo that will eventually wear out. Good luck, and get to hoopin' soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!

muskyman
10-20-2007, 09:12 PM
Do some research and make sure you do not use bearing buddies. They are nothing more than a false sense of security. Take it from me. Trailering boats all over the country and seeing people stuck on the side of the road on 395 in the middle of nowhere - alot of it due to bearing buddies failing. If you have to replace the hubs, check and see if you have a " spindle through the hub " design. This is where the grease is actually pumped through the end of the axle and forced through hub and it flushes the old grease back out at you. It utilizes a double edged seal, which keeps the grease in and water out. Some of the best boat manufacters use this axle design in their trailers. It is awesome, trust me. Look at http://www.championtrailers.com - they have all the info there, I buy alot of my trailer parts there too, good prices and knowledgeable people too. Good luck dude

FISHFACE
10-22-2007, 05:18 PM
If your still in need of info, try Zieman trailer. They are in Whittier, thats close to you. http://www.zieman.com

FISHFACE!

Jikser
10-24-2007, 10:59 PM
Thanks for all the info. Will be finishing up the trailer this weekend.

sansou
10-25-2007, 12:52 AM
Do some research and make sure you do not use bearing buddies. They are nothing more than a false sense of security. Take it from me. Trailering boats all over the country and seeing people stuck on the side of the road on 395 in the middle of nowhere - alot of it due to bearing buddies failing. If you have to replace the hubs, check and see if you have a " spindle through the hub " design. This is where the grease is actually pumped through the end of the axle and forced through hub and it flushes the old grease back out at you. It utilizes a double edged seal, which keeps the grease in and water out. Some of the best boat manufacters use this axle design in their trailers. It is awesome, trust me. Look at http://www.championtrailers.com - they have all the info there, I buy alot of my trailer parts there too, good prices and knowledgeable people too. Good luck dude

I'm a little surprised about your take on the Bearing Buddies. Seems like everyone has them on their trailers!!

Have you ever heard of the "Posi-Lube" design? What's your opinion of that grease pressure system?

Reason for asking: My trailer is getting old, and I'm thinking of maybe getting a newer one since they're pretty cheap for my size boat (brand new $1500), and, I'm going to be trailering it much more in the next couple years.

10-25-2007, 12:53 AM
Hurry up Wil, I'm ready to get some bugs...