PDA

View Full Version : A little help building a setup

Beautiful Stik
09-10-2016, 11:24 PM
Hello everyone! I've been on a few party boats now and I've been using surface irons for about 3 trips now on my 7' Dan Hernandez special. I've had some success but only with a few calico bass because I cant cast that far to where the yellows were bursting. I figured it is time to build a surface iron setup. I've heard that at least an 8 foot rod is needed and a decent reel is highly recommended. I'm trying to find a perfect rod with little success. I've been looking at a seeker pinhead, daiwa seagate rod, and a Daiwa Proteus. I've heard that all will work but I'm still undecided. Reel wise, Im thinking about a Daiwa Saltist BG 35TH. I'm just a newbie when it comes to surface irons and any advice will help. Thanks in advance.
-Blake

MexicanPistachio
09-11-2016, 04:23 PM
Depends on how much you wanna spend. A good jig stick and reel will easily cost $400+. I have a calstar 90j rod that I love to throw iron and that set me back $190, avet jx $230 at charkbait. A few tackle stores are having their parking lot sales so keep an eye out.

exfactor
09-11-2016, 08:41 PM
my suggestion to you....when your out on a sport boat, and see others casting, talk to them about what they like about their setups. Ask them what pound line they are throwing, if they like their reel that they are using, you can even ask them if you can pitch their's to see if it fits you. I have a trinadad 16 with 30# that I like alot. But rods are dependent on what you are looking for, so keep asking questions until YOU decide the best fit.

bman90278
09-16-2016, 10:44 AM
You def need a longer jig rod and make sure u have dedicated rods ready to go! Daiwa Proteus are very nice rods and they are lifetime warrant too.
Also, imo fishing on limited load trips is worth it! Stay off the big loads and groupon specials when targeting yellows.

City Dad
09-16-2016, 11:19 AM
I decided to start getting out for yellow tail this year too. I am extreemly frugal (cheap) and so shopped around for a while. I Found a Penn Bluewater carnage 7'10" deck-hand style on sale as a demo at a local tackle shop - which set me back just $39. Was going to go with a Sealine X30, but sales guy talked me into a Sealine X 40.

this setup can sling an iron a mile, but the x40 is a tad wide for a relative noob like me. Had I to do all over again I think I would have bit the bullet and picked up a Torium 30... in fact, probably my next big ticket item is gonna be that reel.

good luck