PDA

View Full Version : Raingear Jacket

fishing_freak
09-06-2016, 11:54 AM
anyone know any good recommendation to some rain jacket, i made the mistake of buying a cheap one and the zipper broke off while i was washing it. If you guys know any good rain jacket possibly looking one with a hoodie, keeps you warm and dry and of course water proof please list them below thanks.

NFCD I
09-07-2016, 08:29 AM
It's tough to go wrong buying a good Columbia product. I've had a Columbia rain jacket and bibs for 20 years. I re-waterproof them every couple of years and they've held up great.

Viejo
09-07-2016, 08:49 AM
Don't know what your budget is but Bass Pro has a rain jacket and bib overall set that is absolutely bombproof. The Columbia products are also quality as well.

DarkShadow
09-07-2016, 03:10 PM
... i made the mistake of buying a cheap one and the zipper broke off while i was washing it.

I learned the hard way too. Buy 3 $40 jackets every 2 years, or buy 1 $100 jacket that has lasted me a decade.

Obviously, it depends what you're going to be doing during the rain that will dictate what kind of quality you would be looking for. I tried the cheaper non-breathable versions and after hiking 100 yards, I knew I made a mistake because it felt like I was wearing a rubber suit.

Now, I'm not saying to go out and get the $400 GoreTex suit, but if you're going to be mobile while in the rain, I would highly look into the breathable options, and if GoreTex is not up your alley, I know Toray makes a great material that is breathable. Of course, the inner lining varies. I have a 'cold weather' rain jacket which is insulated, and a "It Never Rains in LA" jacket that isn't insulated as well. It really depends on the conditions you will be using the jacket.

Also, I would sign up for Sierra Trading Post's email flyer, and every Friday, you'll get at least 35% off most of their gear. I snagged a $300 Outdoor Research rain jacket for under 80 bucks, and have been happy with it every since. I've also heard great reviews with Marmot, Mountain Hardware, and Lowe Alpine. I'd stay away from North Face stuff, as their brand has gone in the toilet the past decade.

Check them out: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/mens-rain-jackets~d~389/

fishing_freak
09-07-2016, 04:11 PM
thanks for the info guys i'll look into it, 200 bux will probably be my max budget, i know it doesnt get that cold in southern cali but im a skinny dude and i get cold easily, i'll wear a XL raingear if i had too lol wouldnt be the 1st, i like fishing in the fall when theres less people so gotta get ready when it gets here

DarkShadow
09-07-2016, 04:14 PM
thanks for the info guys i'll look into it, 200 bux will probably be my max budget, i know it doesnt get that cold in southern cali but im a skinny dude and i get cold easily, i'll wear a XL raingear if i had too lol wouldnt be the 1st, i like fishing in the fall when theres less people so gotta get ready when it gets here

I'd definitely check out Sierra Trading Post then.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/mens-rain-jackets~d~389/sizefamily~general!xl/

Those are the XLs that they have in stock as far as rain jackets go. Sign up for that email flyer, and I guarantee you'll find the perfect rain jacket come Friday.

fishing_freak
09-07-2016, 04:20 PM
I'd definitely check out Sierra Trading Post then.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/mens-rain-jackets~d~389/sizefamily~general!xl/

Those are the XLs that they have in stock as far as rain jackets go. Sign up for that email flyer, and I guarantee you'll find the perfect rain jacket come Friday.I'll look into it thanks

Dci4me
09-07-2016, 07:38 PM
My wife bought me Frabill F2 Surge jacket and bibs a couple years ago. They have not seen much rain and I can't vouch for how they would hold up with a constant pour. They have served me well. Several outings on a boat and lots of shore fishing. The bibs are nice and have reinforced knees. My favorite part about them is that I keep warm when it is cold outside, especially with a chilly breeze. I am a hot body and don't do well with insulated jackets or layers of cotton.

Ornery Bob
09-08-2016, 07:02 AM
Also, I would sign up for Sierra Trading Post's email flyer, and every Friday, you'll get at least 35% off most of their gear. I snagged a $300 Outdoor Research rain jacket for under 80 bucks, and have been happy with it every since. I've also heard great reviews with Marmot, Mountain Hardware, and Lowe Alpine. I'd stay away from North Face stuff, as their brand has gone in the toilet the past decade.

Check them out: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/mens-rain-jackets~d~389/

Thanks for this tip! I've shopped around a little and I can see these guys are the real deal.

DarkShadow
09-08-2016, 08:48 AM
Thanks for this tip! I've shopped around a little and I can see these guys are the real deal.

Pretty much all my outdoor gear has been purchased through this site. The Friday deals can't be beat.

P.A.W.
09-09-2016, 05:36 PM
I have a really heavy yellow rubber rain getup that I wore doing construction. Too heavy on the boat though. I picked up a set of Frogg Toggs at Bass Pro. Light weight but rugged enough for the fishing I do. I have size 14 boots and the leg holes slip right over them. Nothing worse than having to remove your boots in the rain to get your pants on. Roomy enough to fish comfortably too. Mine are not bibs but elastic waist pants an matching jacket. Both for around $100 IIRC

NFCD I
09-12-2016, 02:41 PM
When you make your decision on what brand to go with, do your self a huge favor. Get a pair of bibs to go with the jacket. As said earlier, they'll keep you warm in the morning and if it rains you don't have to worry about water running down the back side of your pants.