PDA

View Full Version : Back on the salt again

lubemanone
04-28-2007, 08:26 PM
I'm going to start fishing out of los alamitos marina area any suggestions on were to start,I was told there is good fishing by the oil islands and out side of the break waters,would anyone give me a heads up on some good spots to start. Ive been fishinf fresh water for about five years and i'm burned out on some of the lake stuff,and would like to be regular on the local salt water scene. I'm also dying to try bugging next season. Ihave a 16ft. mirror craft with 25hp Evinrude. Not a big boat but it runs well and fits four guys/gals comfortably.Oh! also any suggestionson live well set ups (is it worth it to make a homemade set up?)

Thanks for all and any info you can help me with.

watson10
04-30-2007, 05:46 PM
I like to fish the points of the first opening of the breakwater. This one and the second one (which has the lighthouse on it) I catch calicos there. I have caught a few halibuts right outside the jetty of the Los Alamitos Marina.

Cheers.

lubemanone
04-30-2007, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the info , the light house point sounds good , much appreciated. I cant wait to get my boat out on the water. Good Luck! This season.

sonarbp
05-01-2007, 10:54 AM
Hey lubemanone,

I am not to familiar with the los alamitos marina area, but I too would like to learn it!!! I do know the Newport area very well...if you ever want to learn that area let me know.

sonarbp

lubemanone
05-01-2007, 12:50 PM
Thanks Sonarbp,

I would like to know Newport better , Ive been out there twice about 5 years ago with one of my buddies and son, we had a good time we tripped out on the big boy boats moored by the big boy houses.
We had caught some shorty hali's right there in the channel under some the boats we didn't go very far beyond the break water cause I didn't know were to go, so yeah! T hat would be cool. I'll let you know when were gonna head out there, my plans this year are los alamitos and newport, those are the two places Iv'e been on my boat.I was speaking with EricU and he had a very good idea regarding taking a safety boating class and I would also like to learn some navigation .Do know if they might have that at newport?

Thanks , for the heads up on Newport 8)

lubemanone
05-01-2007, 01:15 PM
P.S. I'll give you a heads up on what i find /learn about Los Alamitos, too.
The one thing I can tell you is the boat launch at Marine park is very user friendly launch,it's right at PCH & 2nd. Street. I can give you directions it's a little tricky to get there,but actually easy once you know were to turn off.
If that makes any sense.the last time i was there it was $7.00 but I'm sure it's more now. But its very easy acess to the marina and break water

EricU
05-01-2007, 02:27 PM
Dave,

Here you go:

http://www.usps.org/cgi-bin/byname.cgi?S

Third one down from the top.

Good going on thinking safety first - especially with kids around.

A story in the Fish Rap read:

California's legislation will model itself after Washington State's gradual implementation of mandatory boater education over the next eight years.

Based on proposed Boater Safety Education document the phase in will look like this:

Operators 20 years old and younger boater education will become mandatory Jan 1, 2011.

25 and younger - Jan 1, 2012
30 and younger - Jan 1, 2013
...from there it is stepped in increments of ten years for each year thereafter.

The proposed legislation currently states that if you can provide evidence of taking a class prior to the mandatory date you will get your boater education card without taking a test again.

The Power Squadron classes are Coast Guard approved.

POSTAL
05-03-2007, 05:57 PM
I fish there a lot .The ramp you are talking about is davies .I fish the outside of the wall near the openings and do well