PDA

View Full Version : Castaic is super tough

skiper
08-30-2016, 04:19 PM
I have fished Lake Castaic for bass since the late 70's and have never seen it this tough...at least for me anyways. Three straight weeks (opening to closing) with only one dink each day,excluding a few first year fish and two bluegill that were almost as big as the bass. Fished shallow, deep, drop shot, reaction, shakeyhead, small swimbaits, large plastics, small plastics (that accounts for the bluegill and first year fish. I've run out of options that I know. Is it just me or is anyone else able to get a few keeper size bass?

TroutOnly
08-30-2016, 08:48 PM
........off the island and surrounding shallow water rocky areas wheres there shad ........too much cover with all the submerged trees and bushes in most areas around the lake.......while silver small shad lures.........ive fished there since it opened and forgot more about bass fishing than alot know.........im just that old..........

Ifishtoolittle
08-30-2016, 10:33 PM
Didn't the lake receive a good amount of water? The fish are probably still adjusting to the new cover.

shinbob
08-31-2016, 07:56 AM
There is so much shad in the water right now, it's amazing that any fish would try to eat an artificial bait. I see endless schools of them out in open water, and every cove I went into had a school or three. If I were a bass, I'd just go to the back of any cove on the lake for an all-you-can-eat buffet, and just relax for the rest of the day.