PDA

View Full Version : Back at it

Stumpknocker
08-17-2016, 04:25 PM
It's been a while since I fished Castaic...been out traveling this summer. My pal Danny and I got in line early behind TroutOnly...nice guy, talked with him a bit, then hit the lake and found the boils along with the fleet. Boils were mostly short and moving quickly. Danny hooked up and then broke off...I managed to land a 4 pounder on a spoon.
We chased around for a while longer as the boils became fewer and fewer and then put out umbrella rigs in the same area and trolled around for nothing. Finally decided to head to another part of the lake that sometimes works for me...put our time in there trolling around, seeing no boils, and seeing not too many striper marks in the catching zones.
We then tried a few other spots, again for nothing...finally we headed back to our original spot...what's that saying about never leaving biting fish? We put out the u-rigs and as soon as we entered the area we had started in we both got slammed...Danny brought in a double, and I got one...all 3-4 pounders.
With new enthusiasm we kept at it in that area and managed to catch 3 more of the same size fish until around 11...we had plenty of fish to eat, it was getting really hot, so we wussed out and headed for the dock.
Here's the cleaning table shot.http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g402/yobobscott/aug17.jpg (http://s1100.photobucket.com/user/yobobscott/media/aug17.jpg.html)
I was glad to meet Bob Caffey...I'm happy to admit I've learned a whole lot about fishing from his posts here, and I'm grateful for them.

ONELIK
08-17-2016, 04:57 PM
Thinking of going out this Sunday and dipping for shad. Are the shad in the coves or are they boiling in deeper water? Do you reccommend to just troll for the strippers? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Stumpknocker
08-17-2016, 05:53 PM
Thinking of going out this Sunday and dipping for shad. Are the shad in the coves or are they boiling in deeper water? Do you reccommend to just troll for the strippers? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I saw tons of shad on my meter from the surface down to about 60 feet...most were around 20 feet or so...I did see shad dimpling or even jumping out of the water at times, but I didn't go to the backs of any coves...did most of my fishing in 40 to 60 feet of water...so I can't report on shad in coves. I didn't see any shoreline boils though...all of the boils were out in deeper water. I'd be ready for boiling fish...topwater, spoons, swimbaits...and then troll if that doesn't work, but that's just me...I don't even try for shad anymore...don't have the net required for that.

TroutOnly
08-17-2016, 07:49 PM
.....nice to meet you bob ,i wished i had more to talk, i wanted to show you something..............i woke up late today ......but not tommorow........

superbigfish
08-18-2016, 05:33 AM
Stumpknocker,

Are you formally Striper Bill?

Stumpknocker
08-18-2016, 06:48 AM
Stumpknocker,

Are you formally Striper Bill?

Nope...Stumpknocker is my formal name :LOL:...never been any kind of Bill.

superbigfish
08-18-2016, 08:32 PM
Nope...Stumpknocker is my formal name :LOL:...never been any kind of Bill.

Wonder what ever happen to Striper Bill. He doesn't up date his website anymore or haven't posted to any forums the last few years. He was an older guy, so he's probably....