PDA

View Full Version : Tips?

briseno09
08-11-2016, 08:04 PM
Hey guys, I am fairly new to fishing and new to this forum. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on fishing these lakes? I have a trip planned with a few friends for this Saturday morning. I have yet to catch my first fish and I'm really hoping to catch one this weekend. I have two rods and reels(both spinning). One is a Zebco(my beginner rod), and I just picked up an Ugly Stik GX2, specifically for this trip. The Zebco came pre spooled with 2 pound test I believe. I have a fresh spool of some 15 pound microfilament test that I am going to spool onto the Ugly Stik. I also picked up some crankbaits, circle hooks, weights, a scale, and a large set of plastics(senkos, and other bass-related items).

I was going to try another lake like Legg lake, or perhaps Santa Fe dam, but I don't know which place will give me my best shot at catching some fish. Any hint, tips, suggestions, are welcome. Thanks in advance guys.

Ornery Bob
08-12-2016, 07:42 AM
I've never fished the others, but I'm familiar with Santa Ana River Lakes and at this time of year, they're stocking catfish and tilapia (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv405QkKLmw&list=TL_wy8J5OE8a0xMjA4MjAxNg). I've never fished for tilapia, but for catfish, I've always used a Carolina rig and any kind of oily/stinky bait from strips of cut mackerel to the Berkley catfish powerbaits. The typical setup is to cast out, let the sinker hit bottom and then reel in until you have tension on the line and then back off to give some slack and then wait.

15lb test is a bit of overkill for So Cal lakes, but it's not a problem in any way. Catfish aren't line shy in my experience.

I've done well at La Palma Corner and the Western side of the North shore point. I suggest going well before opening and getting in line as it can get crowded. WeatherUnderground says the wind won't pick up until the afternoon, so you should be OK to fish any part of the lake, but I prefer a spot where I can set my chair right at the water's edge.

Be safe and have fun!

goodguy
08-12-2016, 12:37 PM
The 15lb test won't do you any good in most socal lakes. I never use anything over 10, usually stick to 4, 6, 8 though... You'll get more bites the lighter you can go on your line.

briseno09
08-12-2016, 03:05 PM
I've never fished the others, but I'm familiar with Santa Ana River Lakes and at this time of year, they're stocking catfish and tilapia (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv405QkKLmw&list=TL_wy8J5OE8a0xMjA4MjAxNg). I've never fished for tilapia, but for catfish, I've always used a Carolina rig and any kind of oily/stinky bait from strips of cut mackerel to the Berkley catfish powerbaits. The typical setup is to cast out, let the sinker hit bottom and then reel in until you have tension on the line and then back off to give some slack and then wait.

15lb test is a bit of overkill for So Cal lakes, but it's not a problem in any way. Catfish aren't line shy in my experience.

I've done well at La Palma Corner and the Western side of the North shore point. I suggest going well before opening and getting in line as it can get crowded. WeatherUnderground says the wind won't pick up until the afternoon, so you should be OK to fish any part of the lake, but I prefer a spot where I can set my chair right at the water's edge.

Be safe and have fun!

Thanks for taking the time to give a detailed response! I was planning to get there at 8, but now I think I'll go earlier to beat the lines. I'm looking up videos on how to run a Carolina rug so I can set that up tonight and apply bait once I'm there. Again thanks! I'll be recording and ready to take pictures in case I catch anything. I'll be sure to post the link here so some of you can check it out.

briseno09
08-12-2016, 03:06 PM
The 15lb test won't do you any good in most socal lakes. I never use anything over 10, usually stick to 4, 6, 8 though... You'll get more bites the lighter you can go on your line.

Ahh, that's why ornery Bob mentioned that it's overkill. I'll pick up some 6 pound before heading out and save the 15# in case I ever do some saltwater. Thanks!

briseno09
08-12-2016, 07:00 PM

Be safe and have fun!

Hey Bob, may you point me to the type of powerbait you are referring to?

rickenrocker
08-13-2016, 07:47 PM
Where can I buy mackerel(I live in LA) before I head to SARL? live then cut them up there or frozen?

bowler
08-13-2016, 07:56 PM
Where can I buy mackerel(I live in LA) before I head to SARL? live then cut them up there or frozen?

Asian markets. Try 99 ranch, seafood city or island Pacific

rickenrocker
08-13-2016, 08:26 PM
Asian markets. Try 99 ranch, seafood city or island Pacific

Ahh! 99 Ranch! didnt thin of that - hopefully they carry live. thx bro

bowler
08-13-2016, 08:35 PM
Ahh! 99 Ranch! didnt thin of that - hopefully they carry live. thx bro

They are not a live. I always get my bait at the Asian markets. Lol the two Asian markets by my house know me because I'm always getting bait there.

rickenrocker
08-13-2016, 08:46 PM
They are not a live. I always get my bait at the Asian markets. Lol the two Asian markets by my house know me because I'm always getting bait there.

so you get em' frozen?

bowler
08-13-2016, 08:52 PM
so you get em' frozen?

No they are unfrozen plus you can pick up some shrimp for bait too if you use that

bowler
08-13-2016, 08:56 PM
so you get em' frozen?

I mainly get squid from the Asian market because it's cheaper and not frozen.

rickenrocker
08-13-2016, 10:29 PM
I mainly get squid from the Asian market because it's cheaper and not frozen.

squid? ill buy that didnt know catfish into that thx bro

bowler
08-13-2016, 11:06 PM
squid? ill buy that didnt know catfish into that thx bro

I use squid for saltwater fishing. Well if you leave squid out for a day it gets very smelly so it might work for catfish. Lol

briseno09
08-15-2016, 02:57 PM
Hey guys, just updating you on my trip this past weekend.

So due to some of my friends being princesses and oversleeping, we ended up arriving at 9 am. I set up the Carolina rig with some bait(mackerel and shrimp) I bought from the bait shop on the grounds. We were stationed straight down La Palma(there wasn't too much people there). To not beat around the bush, we were all skunked(it was 8 of us). We tried walking along the shore and casting into different areas. There were mild winds, and it was extremely hot. Some guys on both of sides of us were able to catch a few cats, but they said they caught them earlier in the day(7 or 8 am). We ended up leaving around 3:45.

It was still a fun experience, regardless. However, it would have been nice for at least one of us to have caught a fish, considering the combined total that we paid to enter. As people have stated, it's called fishing, not catching.

About my setup:
I used the ugly stick with the spinning reel it came with, with 15# test(I didn't have time to pick up a thinner test), on a carolina rig, and a circle hook.
I alternated with the following baits: Mackerel, Shrimp, and tried one of my rubber lures after letting it soak into the juice that the bait came in.Nada.

DarkShadow
08-15-2016, 04:06 PM

So due to some of my friends being princesses and oversleeping, we ended up arriving at 9 am. I set up the Carolina rig with some bait(mackerel and shrimp) I bought from the bait shop on the grounds. We were stationed straight down La Palma(there wasn't too much people there). To not beat around the bush, we were all skunked(it was 8 of us). We tried walking along the shore and casting into different areas. There were mild winds, and it was extremely hot. Some guys on both of sides of us were able to catch a few cats, but they said they caught them earlier in the day(7 or 8 am). We ended up leaving around 3:45.

It was still a fun experience, regardless. However, it would have been nice for at least one of us to have caught a fish, considering the combined total that we paid to enter. As people have stated, it's called fishing, not catching.

About my setup:
I used the ugly stick with the spinning reel it came with, with 15# test(I didn't have time to pick up a thinner test), on a carolina rig, and a circle hook.
I alternated with the following baits: Mackerel, Shrimp, and tried one of my rubber lures after letting it soak into the juice that the bait came in.Nada.

It sucks you had that many people in your crew and didn't get a fish to go. I thought that was what these Put&Take fisheries were supposed to help accomplish.

In any case, someone once suggested a very simple rig that has worked time and time again. A size 1 circle hook, 6 pound test, no weight, and a small sliver of mackerel, or a nightcrawler if you can cast out a fly lined rig without any issues.

Just reel in the slack once in a while, and you'll be covering a lot of area. It'll surprise you how many fish come close, rather than having to catch a fish by making an Olympic winning gold medal cast 100 feet across the lake. Just make sure you have your drag set if you're using 6# test, but you should get fish to go, considering how often they stock these places and how many fish they supposedly dump in.

Mr T-rex
08-17-2016, 11:29 AM

About my setup:

Showing up at 9am is a BIG no no! And with the catfish schooling up you cant stay in one spot for more than 30 mins if you haven't gotten a hit. If they aren't biting move spots until you finally find the school.
Spots where i had success are the Big lake la palma point, the Road by the bubble hole, Boat dock and the west side of Chris pond. Fresh bait is key dont buy anything that's been frozen for quite a while. pick up some fresh shrimp and mackerel from 99 ranch and show up early lol if doing the morning session. i am in line by 4am and limit in bag by 7 or 8 am the latest

Good luck out there dont give up on SARL they stock weekly and some nice quality fish also

JustJames
08-18-2016, 01:29 AM
Alot of ppl success at Santa Ana lake right after the stock day, other than that the bite would be so so unless you are regular and know where and how to fish them catfishes. Dont give up on fishing check stock schedule and try again, may be other lakes close by without paying to fish first.

If you wanna drive a bit further, I recommend lake henshaw in sandiago area, where you still have to pay fishing fee but there are plenty of catfish and carp in there for you to have some fun.

rickenrocker
08-19-2016, 11:32 AM
Alot of ppl success at Santa Ana lake right after the stock day, other than that the bite would be so so unless you are regular and know where and how to fish them catfishes. Dont give up on fishing check stock schedule and try again, may be other lakes close by without paying to fish first.

If you wanna drive a bit further, I recommend lake henshaw in sandiago area, where you still have to pay fishing fee but there are plenty of catfish and carp in there for you to have some fun.

Really..lake henshaw??? do you know when they last stocked it? or where i can see the next schedule>?

JustJames
08-19-2016, 11:34 PM
I dont know for sure when they gonna stock this lake. It is reginial park just like gusti lake where you have to pay some fee to use the lake like 8 bucks but you have to have fishing license though. Anyway from what I read and talk to persons there were plenty of catfish and carp being caught from this lake. Last time i was there 2-3 months ago I caught 3 lost 1.

rickenrocker
08-22-2016, 09:37 AM
I dont know for sure when they gonna stock this lake. It is reginial park just like gusti lake where you have to pay some fee to use the lake like 8 bucks but you have to have fishing license though. Anyway from what I read and talk to persons there were plenty of catfish and carp being caught from this lake. Last time i was there 2-3 months ago I caught 3 lost 1.

Nice - I need to go back there, what fig/bait you used? Maybe i'll head out there on labor day weekend.

bowler
08-22-2016, 10:47 AM
Really..lake henshaw??? do you know when they last stocked it? or where i can see the next schedule>?

They are not planted catfish. If you go there take a hike towards the dam good fishing there for the catfish

bowler
08-22-2016, 10:51 AM
Nice - I need to go back there, what fig/bait you used? Maybe i'll head out there on labor day weekend.

It's a waste of money for the catfish fishing there I was there yesterday and only got one small catfish and my friend got a nice one that was close to 4lbs. The ppl that were doing good there were breaking the rules they where fishing off the rails and jumping over the fence and dropping there lines on the dock to get the catfish.

hotramen
08-22-2016, 11:44 AM
Some good suggestions you have received. Carolina rig is the go to method. As far as bait goes, catfish prefer stinkbait. Mackerel, shrimp, liver are popular choices. I use pike mackerel myself. I buy them frozen from Korean grocery stores and chopped them into 1 inch wide pieces. I often soak them in an attractant for a few hours.

One factor I will say is that the catfish in SARL (compared to the now closed Irvine lake) seem to show interest in marshmallows. I have never caught catfish this way at Irvine, but it seems to work surprisingly well at SARL.

SARL does offer night time fishing so going in the evening is another option. Going during the afternoon is a waste of time and you will just get sunburned. Early morning until about 9 and evening hours from 8 to 11 are when you have the best odds.

rickenrocker
08-22-2016, 02:29 PM
Some good suggestions you have received. Carolina rig is the go to method. As far as bait goes, catfish prefer stinkbait. Mackerel, shrimp, liver are popular choices. I use pike mackerel myself. I buy them frozen from Korean grocery stores and chopped them into 1 inch wide pieces. I often soak them in an attractant for a few hours.

One factor I will say is that the catfish in SARL (compared to the now closed Irvine lake) seem to show interest in marshmallows. I have never caught catfish this way at Irvine, but it seems to work surprisingly well at SARL.

SARL does offer night time fishing so going in the evening is another option. Going during the afternoon is a waste of time and you will just get sunburned. Early morning until about 9 and evening hours from 8 to 11 are when you have the best odds.

what attractant you use? and marshmallows? to make the bait float only right?

I'm going to SARL this Saturday, never caught anything there before, debating if i should go morning or night shift, what you guys think?

briseno09
08-22-2016, 02:38 PM
what attractant you use? and marshmallows? to make the bait float only right?

I'm going to SARL this Saturday, never caught anything there before, debating if i should go morning or night shift, what you guys think?

Haha, this is almost identical to my original post in this thread.

Ornery Bob, in the 2nd post in this thread, stated to get there early if you're doing morning fishing. He also mentioned some of the spots where he caught fish at.

On my trip here, I got here a bit too late. I didn't catch anything, but it was still fun. I'm just not sure I'd be willing to pay that price again until I've actually caught a fish and a bit more experienced.

hotramen
08-23-2016, 08:47 AM
I have tried various attractants. One that I use consistently is made by bite on. It is strong stuff so be prepared to have smelly hands.

Marshmallows do partially suspend it. Several members on here have said that it may be because casting from shore at SARL will often put your bait on a downward slope. Because of this suspending bait might work better. Not sure if this will work on an inflated nightcrawler as well.

Whether you go at night or evening you should not be discouraged. It is fishing and I think spending time outdoors beats any day stuck in an office pushing paper.

rickenrocker
08-23-2016, 11:12 AM
I have tried various attractants. One that I use consistently is made by bite on. It is strong stuff so be prepared to have smelly hands.

Marshmallows do partially suspend it. Several members on here have said that it may be because casting from shore at SARL will often put your bait on a downward slope. Because of this suspending bait might work better. Not sure if this will work on an inflated nightcrawler as well.

Whether you go at night or evening you should not be discouraged. It is fishing and I think spending time outdoors beats any day stuck in an office pushing paper.

ok imma try that biteon and marshmallow - going to SARL this saturday and man dont to get skunked(2nd time going there; no luck). thx for the prompt response.

jhernandez25
08-23-2016, 11:36 AM
Been out of the seen for a bit now because it seems not to be COOL if your wife has a baby and you go fishing the next day :-( who made up these's rules. LOL, well am planing my return trip to SARL on LABOR Day hopefully with DOVE Season opening the lake doesnt get crazy packed.

Catfish at SARL are a complete different beast then Catfish at any other local lake the beat by their OWN drum, the Catfish here tend to school up and stay in the same location for long periods of time so do not plan to camp out and remain in one location for longer than an hour maybe even a half an hour if the fish are not biting move thats the best advice I can give also the Catfish here prefer their food suspended and not on the floor maybe because of the weeds or something else being down there but using marshmallows are your best choice, it SUCKS i can no longer take my boat to the lake but if you get a nice group of friends the best fishing is done fly-lining form a boat so get a group together and rent a pontoon :-) if anyone wants to join me ill be doing some shore fishing labor day weekend and with a baby at home i plan to be a the lake ALLL Day :-)

briseno09
08-23-2016, 11:56 PM
Been out of the seen for a bit now because it seems not to be COOL if your wife has a baby and you go fishing the next day :-( who made up these's rules. LOL, well am planing my return trip to SARL on LABOR Day hopefully with DOVE Season opening the lake doesnt get crazy packed.

Catfish at SARL are a complete different beast then Catfish at any other local lake the beat by their OWN drum, the Catfish here tend to school up and stay in the same location for long periods of time so do not plan to camp out and remain in one location for longer than an hour maybe even a half an hour if the fish are not biting move thats the best advice I can give also the Catfish here prefer their food suspended and not on the floor maybe because of the weeds or something else being down there but using marshmallows are your best choice, it SUCKS i can no longer take my boat to the lake but if you get a nice group of friends the best fishing is done fly-lining form a boat so get a group together and rent a pontoon :-) if anyone wants to join me ill be doing some shore fishing labor day weekend and with a baby at home i plan to be a the lake ALLL Day :-)

Hey jhernandez! I might be available to join you on Labor Day if my gf happens to work that day. I must warn you, I'm a noob. Lol

JustJames
08-24-2016, 01:29 AM
ok imma try that biteon and marshmallow - going to SARL this saturday and man dont to get skunked(2nd time going there; no luck). thx for the prompt response.

Marshmallow to me just another way to spread attractant into water(sugar and fever), not really help the bait to float as mush. You can try adding small float between hook and swivel to make the bait suspended.

Another thing you can try is to dip shrimp into penut butter for adding attractant to your bait. Dont forget to peel the shrimp shell out before.

This is the rig i use when drift fishing for catfish.

jhernandez25
08-24-2016, 08:00 AM
Hey jhernandez! I might be available to join you on Labor Day if my gf happens to work that day. I must warn you, I'm a noob. Lol

Sounds good, I can guarantee you to get you on some fish but fishing is always a good time especially with people. if you plan on mainly fishing SARL you should definitely plan on getting a float tube the work great for both catfish and trout, we were all noobs at some point the thing is not giving up and going out there. hit me up if you plan on going (562) 294-1327

sandtrout
09-09-2016, 08:06 AM
A super good basic book is TROUT FISHING IN CALIFORNIA by RONNIE KOVACH. It used to be everywhere before he died. You can still get them on Amazon. It's a great "basic" book and you'll be getting on trout next. Catfish season will be ending soon enough.

sandtrout
09-09-2016, 08:22 AM
Try using an 8' Daiwa (~$40?) And put a split shot 2' up and just above that make a sugar cube weight (3 or 4 cubes) 6" above that so you'll have enough weight to cast and they'll dissolve away leaving just the split shot. Let me know if you need a picture of it.

sandtrout
09-09-2016, 08:09 PM
Something else...if you're able to meet up with an experienced member of this board at SARL or elsewhere else, have them show you how to use minijigs and plastic worms and Powermouses. It'll payoff when it's trout season.

briseno09
10-17-2016, 10:16 AM
Something else...if you're able to meet up with an experienced member of this board at SARL or elsewhere else, have them show you how to use minijigs and plastic worms and Powermouses. It'll payoff when it's trout season.

Thanks for all the help! I decided to give SARL a break until trout season is in full bloom. SARL was getting too hefty on the wallet(been there 3 times now without a bite). I've gotten lucky with some saltwater fishing at Belmont pier and also at Legg Lake. I tried puddingstone last week, but got skunked there as well(Drop shotting Senkos, crankbaits, and a spinner with no luck).

Planning on going out somewhere this Saturday. Possibly Santa Fe Dam.

However, before my next trip to SARL, I'll be sure to check back here to see if any of the experienced guys will be out there the same day. I'll bring some beer and other misc beverages :Big Grin: