PDA

View Full Version : June loop mini-jigging advice?

gokuguy
08-08-2016, 09:51 PM
Hey guys, I'm going to be heading up to June Lake loop next week and I'm wondering if anyone can help with some advice on mini-jigging the lakes. I was there last year and caught most on kastmasters and thomas buoyants but this year I wanted to throw nothing but Mini Jigs.

Last year I noticed the lakes were pretty deep so I'm not sure of technique difference besides adding some split shots to get the jigs down deeper.

I'm planning on hitting Rush Creek in the early morning but I'll be spending most of my time out on probably June, Silver and Gull lakes. Feel free to PM me w. locations/techniques if you don't want it public.

I'll be CPR'ing most fish and keeping just a couple for dinner.

bowler
08-08-2016, 11:11 PM
I was in mammoth back in June I fished lake George and I did go with 2 small split shots 2 feet up the line with a small hook and I wacky rig a plastic work. I cast it as far as I could and slow bounce it in. I caught two 2.5 trout and one 5lb trout in the week I was up there. I caught a lot of fish in the week I kept only 10 trout let the rest go.

benzmech
08-09-2016, 07:56 AM
I was up there in the beginning of June and had a great time. I take my float tube up there a d hop from lake to lake. I usually hit silver first thing and leave after a couple hours when the wind picks up. Then I move to rush creek and usually pick up about 2 or 3. After rush I fish the north side of gull lake and finish out my day there. For me, that seems to work best with the winds. I would really recommend going to lundy lake for a day. I've had some great days there and it's usually not that crowded. Hands down my best day of trout fishing has been at convict lake. Last time I caught and released about 25 fish in about 4 hours. I was mostly using kastmasters but I also picked up some on a drop shot and mini jig. When I fished the mini jig I would put on a trout worm as a trailer. I'll add a split shot to get it deeper but I usually don't catch many when fishing a mini jig deep. The method I use to fish them I learned from watching trooper jig videos on YouTube. He is a local so cal guy.

bmachale
08-09-2016, 08:07 AM
Think about giving the slip bobber a try with your mini jig. You can you tube the set up. Gets you down to the depth you want and is an indicator.Keeps you out of any grass on the bottom and in the zone all the time. Just twitch it. Here are a couple. You can also find videos with simple knots for slip bobbers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAQUo7H4gYs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoP6V40mjnM