PDA

View Full Version : First time deep sea fishing..No sea sickness?

Ernart
08-03-2016, 09:42 AM
Will be going out for the first time into the sea to fish. Want to know what are the basics to not get sea sick? I've read aome things but want to get some feedback from first hand experience. Thanks !

Marley
08-03-2016, 11:38 AM
Sucks to get seasick. Anything that makes you say "just shoot me"...

I tend to get seasick pretty easily but found a combination that has been almost bullet-proof for me (been in 14-foot seas that made my tummy wiggle, though...) I wear a prescription Scopalomine patch regardless of the weather conditions. Put it on when I leave the house for the two-hour drive to San Diego. I know I will sweat when I load my gear and when I move around deck so to keep the patch from washing off, I put a Bandaid on over it. I also take a 25 mg. Meclezine tablet when I get on the boat. Between the two, it gets me to the fishing grounds. If the water is glass or there is slight swell, I take one tablet when I wake up and another after lunch. If the weather is up I take two or three depending on the bump. Dramamine II is Meclezine but is very pricey in comparison. Bonine is also Meclezine and is available at most landings at about a third the cost of Dramamine II. Better yet is going to your pharmacist and ordering a bottle of 100, cost of about $15. Some guys say nibbling on gingersnaps helps, others say saltine crackers. Both the patch and the Meclezine will make you thirsty so I wouldn't eat crackers. DO NOT DRINK BEER until you know how the motion will affect you.
If you start to get sick, staying cool is better than getting hot. Get out of the galley. If you get sick at night on the trip out, DO NOT go to the rail or go up the rail to the head. Falling overboard at night is death. Let it go on deck and the fire watch will hose it down. Over the rail during the day.
Don't dwell on getting sick because you can easily talk yourself into it. Best thing for fighting seasickness is catching fish and fishing has been pretty good lately. Get out there, have a great time and since it will be your first trip, pay attention to the seminar, watch those around you (especially the guy who is always hooked up), ask questions and follow your line.
Let us know how your trip goes.

Ernart
08-03-2016, 11:50 AM
Great advice. Thanks!

How about sea bands? thinkinb of combining that with some motion sickness pills.

Marley
08-03-2016, 02:38 PM
Never tried one, I'm not a big believer in alternative medicine. The issue with motion sickness is in your middle ear and not on your wrist. But it's not at all expensive and if it helps you, absolutely do it!

dbfishing
08-03-2016, 03:18 PM
Get severely sick. Have not got sick one time since using the transderm scope. You can call your dr. And have him call in a script. I also take ginger pills as a precautionary measure. I've done wrist bands Dramamine Bonine no this has worked. Good luck

etucker1959
08-03-2016, 04:25 PM
Starting to Deep Sea fish is a gradual learned process. Start off going on a twilight trip or an half-day boat is a good start, not an overnight tuna trip. (starting off on an overnight trip is a recipe for disaster) The over the counter sea sick medication hopefully will work for you. Check the weather before you go, even an experienced angler will get sick if it's rough enough. (I'll tell you how to do that if you need help) Nibble on food the whole time while you're on the water. (it really does help!!!) Take the ride out leaning on the rail in the stern. (calmest part of the boat and the fresh air helps) Talking to your buddy's on the ride out keeps your mind distracted. My trick of the day!!!!! Buy a pack of Starburst candy's and munch them down on the way out. The Silvia it creates in your mouth does something medically to help stave off sea sickness. As Marley said, "once you start catching fish you'll be good to go!!!!" Good luck and we hope you get hooked!!!!!

TUNAVIC
08-03-2016, 04:32 PM
I agree totally with etucker1959,especially the start off slow or small,1/2 day,twilight,ect.
If you feel bad at least you know you'll be back to the dock soon,overnight not so much,it'll be a long time before you get home.

Cya Tuna Vic

MonsterGuppy
08-03-2016, 07:42 PM
I get sick, some people never do. I start my season each year with a couple of half day trips then work my way up to overnighters with a patch. I never get close to the back of the boat when the diesel is running. One whiff of the exhaust and its over for me.

Ernart
08-03-2016, 07:50 PM
Yes I'm doing a half day trip to start of. Great advice....

Ernart
08-03-2016, 07:53 PM
Starting to Deep Sea fish is a gradual learned process. Start off going on a twilight trip or an half-day boat is a good start, not an overnight tuna trip. (starting off on an overnight trip is a recipe for disaster) The over the counter sea sick medication hopefully will work for you. Check the weather before you go, even an experienced angler will get sick if it's rough enough. (I'll tell you how to do that if you need help) Nibble on food the whole time while you're on the water. (it really does help!!!) Take the ride out leaning on the rail in the stern. (calmest part of the boat and the fresh air helps) Talking to your buddy's on the ride out keeps your mind distracted. My trick of the day!!!!! Buy a pack of Starburst candy's and munch them down on the way out. The Silvia it creates in your mouth does something medically to help stave off sea sickness. As Marley said, "once you start catching fish you'll be good to go!!!!" Good luck and we hope you get hooked!!!!!

Yes I'll ask for the help about how to find out what the weather will be?

lucky1
08-03-2016, 09:56 PM
I use the Seaband when I go out on the 3/4 Day boat. There are two in the pack and usually I use just one. I haven't been sick once since I started using them. I used Dramamine , Bonnie and the patch you wear behind your ear. The Bonnie worked the best of those three. Dramamine and the patch are going to make you drowsy. Another thing I've started doing lately is taking a Zantac to control the acid in my stomach before leaving, it seems to help too. I also suggest is not to avoid eating the whole day , it seems to help having something in your stomach. I find it better to be on the deck in the fresh air than inside. Hope you have a good trip.

webmaster
08-04-2016, 06:59 AM

I use these sites: http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/lox/

fishweather.com

bouyweather.com

There are many more but those are my favorite.

Best seasick cure: Just think about a double bacon cheeseburger with extra mayo and a fried egg on top!

etucker1959
08-05-2016, 08:00 AM
The webmaster gave you some great links for weather. To interpret I'll give you the keys. For wind you want 10 knots or less, 10-15 in the afternoon is ok if you go fishing in the morning. For swells 1-2 is best, 2-3 is ok after that it's getting bumpy.

Brewcrafter
08-05-2016, 10:09 AM
LOTS of great tips here! While I have never used it, I have heard many "old salts" swear by Cinnarizine, which is definitely a "Dr. Only prescribed" drug similar to Scopalamine (which I have used in the past with great success). While I saw where several folks mentioned the "cottonmouth" side effect (in a way, this is good - that way you know the medication is in your system) one thing I don't think I saw mentioned was that many of the OTC tablet remedies can cause drowsiness - sleeping through most of a good bite is no fun (ask me how I know!). And given the drowsy thing, I would definitely avoid beer, etc until you are comfortable with your situation. Also, most of these drugs wont do much for you once you are ill - the trick is to get in front of it and stay on top - take the medication as prescribed even if you feel fine. Stay up on the fluids and most importantly eat constantly, snacking between meals (box of Cheeze-Its is my "Go To"). Fresh air is better than in the galley. And truthfully, in my experience there is not a lot of rhyme or reason to it - I have been in "Victory at Sea" conditions and been fine, and there have been other days on a grease smooth pond where I didn't feel so great. Lastly, keep your mind off of it, and focus on having fun and please post a report here about your trip!

Frankenfish
08-10-2016, 10:20 PM
I use a patch...works for me...i used to take dramamine and bonine but that stuff literally is like taking a sleeping pill for me. Whatever you find works...it sure beats the alternative...

Fishtaco
08-12-2016, 02:38 PM
I buy over the counter Meclizine 25mg. $5.75 for 100 pills. Works great for me for an overnight trip. For local trips, I take half a pill. A full pill will put me out but i rather be sleepy than seasick.

DockRat
08-14-2016, 09:14 PM
If you think or worry about getting sick you probably will get sick. Think about having fun and fishing.
Eat and have a few beers and you'll be fine.

Also 1 knot is 1.3 mph FYI