PDA

View Full Version : Big Bear Lake, Silverwood, Irvine Lake and others with Mercury Concerns: LATimes

carpanglerdude
07-30-2016, 09:43 AM
http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-big-bear-mercury-20160729-snap-story.html

"But Mike Sannes, a Big Bear real estate agent, said it may be time to sacrifice that popular type of fishing.

“Mercury advisories would not be good for property values,” he said. “If it came down to it, I wouldn’t rule out getting rid of the bass for the greater good.”"

Who is this joker?

contium
07-30-2016, 06:24 PM
http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-big-bear-mercury-20160729-snap-story.html

"But Mike Sannes, a Big Bear real estate agent, said it may be time to sacrifice that popular type of fishing.

“Mercury advisories would not be good for property values,” he said. “If it came down to it, I wouldn’t rule out getting rid of the bass for the greater good.”"

Who is this joker?

Lol because I look to a real estate agent when I want information on fisheries management.

Theos
07-30-2016, 07:42 PM

Who is this joker?

I can't remember the last time I ate green carp.

BassinPLS
07-31-2016, 08:05 AM
I would think that a warning would be sufficient; but, "No", the State is considering eradication! Lord Help Us!

Viejo
07-31-2016, 08:23 AM
Funny.....the real estate guy said, "“If it came down to it, I wouldn’t rule out getting rid of the bass for the greater good.”"
". Yeah, right. He means for the good of the real estate market. That is funny because only about 10% of the full time residents up there fish to begin with.

Ssortasober
07-31-2016, 06:30 PM
How does Mercury end up in the bass at big bear lake? If that is the case wouldn't all the lakes down the hill have Mercury too? Does it end with only bass or do all other non stocked fish have Mercury in them too? Does this guy have his head between his cheeks?

contium
07-31-2016, 09:25 PM
How does Mercury end up in the bass at big bear lake? If that is the case wouldn't all the lakes down the hill have Mercury too? Does it end with only bass or do all other non stocked fish have Mercury in them too? Does this guy have his head between his cheeks?

Mercury is cumulative and builds in top level predators. All fish except recently stocked fish will have some mercury in them. Fish that eat other fish will have way more. That's why largemouth and stripped bass are pretty on the states no eat list. The thing is you need top level predators to keep the lake in balance

http://oehha.ca.gov/advisories/statewide-advisory-eating-fish-californias-lakes-and-reservoirs-without-site-specific

DarkShadow
08-01-2016, 08:42 AM
“Mercury advisories would not be good for property values,” he said. “If it came down to it, I wouldn’t rule out getting rid of the bass for the greater good.”

Sannes further added,

"The carp? The carp we can keep. The kids love 'em. They bring property values up when you can feed them popcorn off the piers."

Peppa_Jack
08-01-2016, 04:23 PM
LOL.....Who writes this crap?!? And even worse, who decided to publish it?

The mercury levels are to high, so don't let people fish? Get rid of the bass?? WTF?!?!
How `bout catch and release only on bass?

I feel dumber for reading this article!!

JAG107
08-01-2016, 09:07 PM
The agencies striving to solve the problem want to increase the abundance of rainbow trout and crappie, which have lower mercury levels because they feed on plants and smaller aquatic organisms. "

Learn something new every day! Maybe Bass Pro should start selling lures that look like aquatic plants to entice even the most finicky of trout to strike. I can see it now, Berkley Gulp! Algae clumps. Now with extra plant scent, creating 18x bites!

DarkShadow
08-02-2016, 09:09 AM
The agencies striving to solve the problem want to increase the abundance of rainbow trout and crappie...

Shouldn't the agency be figuring out how on earth mercury is even getting INTO the lake to the point that certain fish have heavy metals in them?

And then perhaps figure out how try to prevent that?

Or is that too tree-huggerish a solution?

shinbob
08-02-2016, 10:21 AM
Shouldn't the agency be figuring out how on earth mercury is even getting INTO the lake to the point that certain fish have heavy metals in them?

And then perhaps figure out how try to prevent that?

Or is that too tree-huggerish a solution?

The answer to all three questions is: yes.

Problem is, California has a particularly bad mercury problem due to all the mercury mines in the state (up to 2000 or more). And that train has left the station, unless you can go back in time 100 years (to a time where tree-huggers would be shot on sight)

That LA Times article is completely ridiculous, though. I think that real estate guy believes that mercury contamination is *caused* by the LMB, and that getting rid of them will solve the problem.

But as bad as LMB are, stripers are even worse. Looks like the primary reason that the oehha website doesn't call out stripers as much as LMB is that they seemed to have a hard time catching enough of them for a statistically significant sample. But in the few places they did, the numbers were pretty bad. Silverwood stripers had up to 1.3ppm, which is over 1 mg per kg. See those guys carting off 30 stripers or more? That's 30 mg of mercury right there. They might as well pop the top off a thermometer and chug it down.

I'll still eat stripers, but I mostly only keep the smaller schoolies. I also don't feed them to my kids at all.

DEVOREFLYER
08-02-2016, 10:32 AM
It's not real complicated, start on page 69 and the read the tables from page 70 on. Pity that reporters don't do research anymore and just wing it. SSDD
https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=117095&inline