PDA

View Full Version : July 2-3 at Rock Creek

JAG107
07-06-2016, 09:02 PM
Pulled the camper up to East Fork for the holiday weekend. It was packed, of course. We had a spot right along the creek, which is THE way to go if you stay here. The lower numbered sites are tiny, unlevel, high and have little shade. All throughout the weekend, saw many many dozens of stream anglers plying their trade, but to no avail. I saw not a single fish caught from the creek near camp. Same deal at the lake Saturday, tons of anglers, didn't see a single trout caught or on a stringer or heard of anyone with a bite. That sucks for a new moon!
Sunday we took the kids up the Mosquito Flat trail for some wild brookie action, and that was no disappointment. We went right past Mack and Heart, and went for the back end of Box, where we had the whole place to ourselves. The trail was LOADED, and heart lake looked like Corona Lake on the opener with all the kids fishing, but the bite was ON and it was a hit every kast (hint). Didn't do any good with mouse tails, but the hardware produced as always. One after another until we got tired and headed back to camp. Beautiful little brooks, but no browns or bows to be seen this trip. Kinda funny seeing all the signs around camp declaring "NO FISH CLEANING!" when there wasn't a single trout to be seen around the creek. The water was running a bit high on the creek, but the back country lakes were about normal water level. Just enough snow left on the peaks to provide a spectacular backdrop. Boy, it sure sucks driving back down the Cajon Pass at the end of a Sierra trip, back to the thick smog and heavy traffic. It's always worth the 600 mile round trip, just to get away for a couple days.

shinbob
07-07-2016, 07:56 AM
I was up there about the same time -- great fishing at the lake inlet, as usual. As you say, it is spectacular up there this time of year with all the water flowing and the snow on the mountains. I was contemplating taking the LLV hike, but decided not to because of the crowds and went somewhere else for hiking. I saw this on their facebook page from Memorial day, and figured last weekend would have been even worse:

http://i.imgur.com/PheG8tl.jpg

Cliffy
07-07-2016, 11:36 AM
Now that's combat fishing!

bmachale
07-07-2016, 12:18 PM
What is Ruby lake like? Can you walk to it? What kind of fish does it have in it? What a beautiful area. Looking at it on Google Earth makes it look like you could keeping fishing west forever. Long Lake?

Is Lower Morgan lake accessible? So many cool places. I am going up there next time I hit the Sierras. Assuming the weather lets me.

Thanks for the great report.

Frankenfish
07-08-2016, 06:46 PM
Amen to it being worth the 600 mile drive for the clean air... Was up at Tom's place camping and you could see just about every star, constellation, planet visible at the time...the milky way... Compared to the 2 or 3 you can see from the city..

JAG107
07-08-2016, 08:07 PM
What is Ruby lake like? Can you walk to it? What kind of fish does it have in it? What a beautiful area. Looking at it on Google Earth makes it look like you could keeping fishing west forever. Long Lake?

Is Lower Morgan lake accessible? So many cool places. I am going up there next time I hit the Sierras. Assuming the weather lets me.

Thanks for the great report.

Long Lake is as far as I've gone on that trail, unfortunately. I've always had little ones in tow, so my range is limited. You can expect to find very hearty, energetic little brookies, STUNNINGLY beautiful wild rainbows, and really tough browns. One year, I saw a mega hen rainbow slowly cruising the crystal clear waters of Box, amidst a cloud of comparatively tiny brooks. I mean, easily DD. Absolutely not afraid of the big shadow casting the whole tackle box in front of her trying to entice a bite. You've just gotta get off the main trail and find your spot.

bmachale
07-09-2016, 08:32 AM
Hi Jag107,

Sorry make you say it again. Just want to be sure of what you said.

I got that there are many places to fish. My son and I are willing to walk and explore. so thanks you that part of the advice.

Did the reference to the brookies and stunning rainbow refer to long lake? My son has yet to see a brookie.

Thanks,

Bob

JAG107
07-09-2016, 11:04 AM
Hi Jag107,

Sorry make you say it again. Just want to be sure of what you said.

I got that there are many places to fish. My son and I are willing to walk and explore. so thanks you that part of the advice.

Did the reference to the brookies and stunning rainbow refer to long lake? My son has yet to see a brookie.

Thanks,

Bob

The lakes are all connected. The fish can swim up and downstream from one to the next, which means you could reasonably expect to find them in any of the lakes. The vast majority of the wild trout in those lakes are brooks.