PDA

View Full Version : Tips for Cerritos Regional County Park?

crespoh69
06-21-2016, 11:48 AM
Hey guys, I've purchased a fishing license each year for the past 4 or so years and have yet to catch ANY fish on any of my ventures. It's getting to the point to where I'm rethinking purchasing again next year. This has mostly been ocean fishing on piers and rocks with some freshwater fishing here and there.

This weekend I'm hoping to go out to CRCP on bloomfield since I hear they stock up twice a month and I believe they have catfish in the summer.

I've purchased some powerbait and some Gulp nightcrawlers to try out this weekend. Is there anything anyone can recommend or can you suggest another location I could try instead?

etucker1959
06-21-2016, 11:53 AM
Hey guys, I've purchased a fishing license each year for the past 4 or so years and have yet to catch ANY fish on any of my ventures. It's getting to the point to where I'm rethinking purchasing again next year. This has mostly been ocean fishing on piers and rocks with some freshwater fishing here and there.

This weekend I'm hoping to go out to CRCP on bloomfield since I hear they stock up twice a month and I believe they have catfish in the summer.

I've purchased some powerbait and some Gulp nightcrawlers to try out this weekend. Is there anything anyone can recommend or can you suggest another location I could try instead?
Cerritos in the summer time only get's stocked for Kid's fishing derby's. Last one was last month, see the Great Pumpkin story it might give you a clue to try some where else.

crespoh69
06-21-2016, 12:06 PM
I called the park earlier today and they said they stocked up on the 4th or 6th, I forget. I also called CA fish and wildlife and they said they do it twice a month so the 2nd restocking should be soon I hope.

jhernandez25
06-21-2016, 01:28 PM
I called the park earlier today and they said they stocked up on the 4th or 6th, I forget. I also called CA fish and wildlife and they said they do it twice a month so the 2nd restocking should be soon I hope.

Have you tried any of the paid lakes locally like SARL ??? where do you live

crespoh69
06-21-2016, 01:54 PM
Have you tried any of the paid lakes locally like SARL ??? where do you live

I live in Hawaiian Gardens, what is SARL?

jhernandez25
06-21-2016, 02:18 PM
I live in Hawaiian Gardens, what is SARL?

SARL is Santa Ana River Lakes, its a pay lake and it also takes a while to dial in the lake but once you have it dialed in you will be limiting out on fish, some people like them some people dont its all choice.

etucker1959
06-21-2016, 03:05 PM
The 4th was the kids derby. DFG DOES NOT STOCK CATFISH ANYMORE ANYWHERE!!!!! Twice a month DFG stockings are trout only Nov-April.

chatmar
06-21-2016, 06:07 PM
Crespoh69. Santa Ana River Lakes is as good as it gets within an hour of Hawaiian Gardens. You can fish all night long right next to your vehicle. You can even bring a tent. Boat rentals very reasonably priced. I used to fish it all the time years ago. Now maybe 4 to 5 times during summer at night. I may go this Friday at 5 PM and fish until Sunday at 4 pm. This site has a link for SARL. Check it out. It has lots of info about fishing this lake.

JustJames
06-22-2016, 12:33 AM

I feel your pain man, been there done that and in the same area as well. Cerritos is small lake, I caught a few bass and few cats there but most of the time nada. You have to venture out of your area a little bit, there is Huntington central park lake, good when they stock trout. Also a couple more lake in that area, one in edinger and one on McFadden. For ocean, there is sealbeach jetti where plenty of halibut there or even long beach dock pass queen marry where you can catch fresh makeral for catfish bait.

Im not sure if thing change much down there since it has been 10 years I moved to IE area. Good luck to you man and if you ever come to lake perris area hit me up I might take you on a lake on my boat to get skunk together hahaha.

*** one more to add *** check out performance tackle shop on katella and bloomfield if they are still in business. At this time of year the shop will offer some ticket for private charter boat for customers. A little bit expensive but limited passenger so you have more time to fish and more fun talking with others.

jhernandez25
06-22-2016, 08:17 AM
I usually fish SARL for ease and the launch fee is reasonable, am still working on dialing in the lake but averaging about 2 to 3 catfish a trip, am thinking of heading out there Friday also Chartmar for the evening bite and might decide to stay over night, hey Chartmar do you know if they allow boats on the lake over night or is there a curfew for boats on the lake and only allow shore fishing overnight?? where do you plan on fishing maybe we can meet up? i usually fish alone.

JustJames I have been trying to hit up Lake Perris but since i usually fish alone am weary about launching the boat in other Lakes, (still new to the boating world).

chatmar
06-22-2016, 12:18 PM
Jhernandez25, I am pretty sure you can fish all night on your boat if you pay the 24 hour fishing fee. I know the have 24 hour boat rentals. I am down for meeting a new fishing buddy. I will send you a PM with my phone number. Anyone else fishing SARL Friday night?

JustJames
06-22-2016, 03:34 PM
JustJames I have been trying to hit up Lake Perris but since i usually fish alone am weary about launching the boat in other Lakes, (still new to the boating world).

Me too pretty new on boating, just got my small aluminum boat a couple months back. Im trying to avoid lunching boat on weekend where launch ramp is pretty busy. Perris on weekday is not bad at all not so many boater, I can get my boat in the water within less than 15 mins. The only hard part for me is too back up boat and trailer onto launch ramp.

If you only have time on weekend, I recommended private lake where you have to pay for fish where also not many bass boat go there. Lake henshaw in Sandiago area is not bad at all, a lot of carp, catfish some bass and supposely crappie. Last time I drifted fishing there got 4 cats 1 crappie lost one of the biggest cat.

georatm2011
06-22-2016, 06:01 PM

Sorry for the tough luck, google oc parks fish stocking schedule and you will find some nice areas to catch catfish.

chatmar
06-24-2016, 06:45 AM
So who's going to Santa Ana tonight?

chatmar
06-24-2016, 10:17 AM
No more private boat launching at SARL!

DarkShadow
06-24-2016, 10:37 AM

If it's any consolation, you can forego buying the license and still fish on public piers free of cost.

chatmar
06-24-2016, 07:16 PM
At SARL by Casa Leaders Furniture. Not bites in last hour! Lol!

crespoh69
06-25-2016, 09:31 PM
If it's any consolation, you can forego buying the license and still fish on public piers free of cost.

Are you serious? I want aware of this!

crespoh69
06-25-2016, 09:33 PM
I feel your pain man, been there done that and in the same area as well. Cerritos is small lake, I caught a few bass and few cats there but most of the time nada. You have to venture out of your area a little bit, there is Huntington central park lake, good when they stock trout. Also a couple more lake in that area, one in edinger and one on McFadden. For ocean, there is sealbeach jetti where plenty of halibut there or even long beach dock pass queen marry where you can catch fresh makeral for catfish bait.

Im not sure if thing change much down there since it has been 10 years I moved to IE area. Good luck to you man and if you ever come to lake perris area hit me up I might take you on a lake on my boat to get skunk together hahaha.

*** one more to add *** check out performance tackle shop on katella and bloomfield if they are still in business. At this time of year the shop will offer some ticket for private charter boat for customers. A little bit expensive but limited passenger so you have more time to fish and more fun talking with others.

Thanks for the advice, I'll have to do a bit more recon in my area

Viejo
06-25-2016, 09:39 PM

"Free fishing in California on public piers is a sport that is easy to get hooked on. Not only is ocean and bay pier fishing free in California (does not include piers on inland waterways), children under the age of 16 generally do not need a fishing license to fish from lakes and in the ocean directly. Over the age of 16, anglers do require a license to fish if they are standing on a shoreline, riding in a boat, or casting line from a jetty not considered a public pier.

crespoh69
06-25-2016, 09:46 PM
"Free fishing in California on public piers is a sport that is easy to get hooked on. Not only is ocean and bay pier fishing free in California (does not include piers on inland waterways), children under the age of 16 generally do not need a fishing license to fish from lakes and in the ocean directly. Over the age of 16, anglers do require a license to fish if they are standing on a shoreline, riding in a boat, or casting line from a jetty not considered a public pier.

Want aware of this. I guess the ocean portion of the fishing license is for boat fishing? Do the rocks in front of the queen Mary count?

DarkShadow
06-27-2016, 03:20 PM
Want aware of this. I guess the ocean portion of the fishing license is for boat fishing? Do the rocks in front of the queen Mary count?

That's considered a jetty, and you will need a license.

Public piers, I think, are the only locations where you won't need a license. I think Viejo posted the logistics on what is defined as a 'public pier.'

Hey, I grew up fishing public piers before I ventured onto fishing the freshwater. It's a great place to learn basics.

BALLERONBUDGET
06-27-2016, 05:36 PM
Pier J fishing area as its called is not a formal pier but 1/4mile rock jetty in front of queen Mary/carnival
Cruise line boarding area or formerly the dome where spruce goose airplane was. Yes license is required and
Warden gives hefty tickets to those that don't hv or run to their cars. Way slow fishing there ! But hey it's tailgate
Fishing from back of ur car for free!!!! No where else in Los Angeles I can think of

twin22s
06-28-2016, 12:01 PM
Public piers are great for the occasional angler, saves you 50 bucks a year. What is a little misleading is the description of a public pier.

"A public pier is defined in the sport fishing regulations as a publicly owned man-made structure that has the following characteristics: is connected, above the mean high tide, to the main coastline or to the land mass of a named and charted natural island; has unrestricted free access for the general public; and has been built or currently functions for the primary purpose of allowing angling access to ocean waters.
Additionally, publicly owned jetties or breakwaters that are connected to land, as described above, that have free unrestricted access for the general public and whose purpose it is to form the most seaward protective boundary of an ocean harbor are public piers. Jetties, breakwaters, promenades, sea walls, moles, docks, linings, barriers and other structures that are not the most seaward protective boundary of an ocean harbor, are not public piers."

So you can fish the jetty without a license as long as its the seawall and not an interior jetty.

DarkShadow
06-28-2016, 01:26 PM
But hey it's tailgate
Fishing from back of ur car for free!!!! No where else in Los Angeles I can think of

SARL, Irvine....any put and take fishery?

BALLERONBUDGET
06-28-2016, 04:51 PM
cool.. im meant free parking tailgate style fishing saltwater @ pier j area , whereas most places esp in summer are atleast $3/hr with no maximum ...or bring a bunch of coins for the meters..

shoreline village has about 5 mini finger piers as well as nph harbor the docks without railings....( can easily see or someone losing gear or someone being pushed over by his jackarse buddies just to cool off.) im assuming u need license aswell

Alamitos wall I was told u didn't since it has water on both sides?? someone pls clarify...

I DID WITNESS WARDEN give tix to rock guys behind queen mary .. I asked if was legal and he stated YES... BUT those guys had no license whatsoever =$$ and possible possession of his gear