PDA

View Full Version : Quagga Mussel Check?

Ifishtoolittle
06-10-2016, 02:32 PM
Hello, hello. So I'm contemplating on trying Castaic sometime next week for stripers, lmb, and hopefully a smallie or two. Are the park rangers, staff strict about moisture being inside of a vessel? I'm planning to launch my kayak at the upper lake, but if the prospects of fishing is too hectic up there I may try the lagoon instead. But, then again, if the the hassle of the quagga check is too much then I might just avoid the whole thing all together. Any suggestions on how I should target any of the mentioned species? I'm thinking cut sardines for the stripers and plastics down deep for the green bass and smallies. Thanks!

-IF2L

loweboat
06-12-2016, 10:05 PM
Hello, hello. So I'm contemplating on trying Castaic sometime next week for stripers, lmb, and hopefully a smallie or two. Are the park rangers, staff strict about moisture being inside of a vessel? I'm planning to launch my kayak at the upper lake, but if the prospects of fishing is too hectic up there I may try the lagoon instead. But, then again, if the the hassle of the quagga check is too much then I might just avoid the whole thing all together. Any suggestions on how I should target any of the mentioned species? I'm thinking cut sardines for the stripers and plastics down deep for the green bass and smallies. Thanks!

-IF2L

Please read and view the videos on the Castaic Lake website.
They are VERY STRICT REGARDING YOUR WATERCRAFT BEING COMPLEATLY DRY INSIDE AND OUT. This includes the engine. If you have questions call Castaic Lake 661-257-4050.
Talk to the folks at the bait shop at the lake. They can give you advice as to what bait to use.
Good luck!

Ifishtoolittle
06-13-2016, 12:44 AM
Thanks. I did do that, but I wanted to hear from the experiences of those who have brought their vessels to the lake. It does look seem like a major hassle to get my kayak through though. We shall see.

shinbob
06-13-2016, 07:39 AM
I've never done it, but I've seen others do it -- a kayak should be easy to make it through inspection. The hull should already be dry, there's no place for water to hide on the outside. Just make sure the inside/floor of the boat is completely dry. Take a roll of paper towels and wipe down any condensation before you get to the inspection station.

What I've seen trip most people up is: 1) water coming out of the outboard cooling ports when the engine is trimmed down, 2) residual water in the livewells, and 3) water in the bilge. None of these apply to kayaks.

By the way, upper Castaic can be a challenging place to kayak fish. The ramps are out in the open part of the lake, and it's a good paddle to get to a fishy spot away from the shore fishermen. When the spring NE winds kick up, it can get pretty gnarly. Lower is definitely a much more kayak-friendly body of water. Pyramid is better also, as the launch ramp is in a wind-protected, no-wake area and it's an easy paddle to some good spots. The ramp is also at the main lake inlet, so there's a good amount of fish activity there when the water's running. When summer is here, you can see striper boils very close to the launch ramp.

BassinPLS
06-13-2016, 10:31 AM
I've had a Gal inspecting my boat at Perris shine her flash light down the floor drain just in front of the seats and quarantined my boat due to "slight" moisture she could see. No way to dry that out, except let the boat sit and evaporate it!

Ifishtoolittle
06-13-2016, 11:08 PM
I've never done it, but I've seen others do it -- a kayak should be easy to make it through inspection. The hull should already be dry, there's no place for water to hide on the outside. Just make sure the inside/floor of the boat is completely dry. Take a roll of paper towels and wipe down any condensation before you get to the inspection station.

What I've seen trip most people up is: 1) water coming out of the outboard cooling ports when the engine is trimmed down, 2) residual water in the livewells, and 3) water in the bilge. None of these apply to kayaks.

By the way, upper Castaic can be a challenging place to kayak fish. The ramps are out in the open part of the lake, and it's a good paddle to get to a fishy spot away from the shore fishermen. When the spring NE winds kick up, it can get pretty gnarly. Lower is definitely a much more kayak-friendly body of water. Pyramid is better also, as the launch ramp is in a wind-protected, no-wake area and it's an easy paddle to some good spots. The ramp is also at the main lake inlet, so there's a good amount of fish activity there when the water's running. When summer is here, you can see striper boils very close to the launch ramp.

Thanks for the tips Shinbob. I appreciate it. I have a hobie mirage drive kayak so it's more manageable for me when we're talking distance and winds. Pyramid only allows sit inside kayaks if I remember correctly.

I've had a Gal inspecting my boat at Perris shine her flash light down the floor drain just in front of the seats and quarantined my boat due to "slight" moisture she could see. No way to dry that out, except let the boat sit and evaporate it!

That sucks. I've heard stories of the same thing happening to people at DVL. One of them drove from Arizona I heard only to be turned away.