PDA

View Full Version : Double limits Memorial Day

Pez Gringo
06-01-2016, 04:56 PM
This past Memorial Day, my wife and I decided to go out for a few hours. We decided to sleep in a little and launched the Ranger around 8am to still winds and very overcast skies. I was pleasantly surprised that there were only about 15-20 cars in the parking lot and the lake felt more like a weekday rather than a busy holiday!

My wife and I decided to work the outside points before the wind came up. We started by the saddle Dam and worked east. The wife typically likes to cast out and drag worms while I cast. Her patience is often rewarded with the biggest fish of the day. She started with dropshotting Roboworms (in hot pink) and immediately picked up a solid 2.5 pounder. He second fish came just 10 minutes later on the same bait. My Texas rigged Senko was getting no looks so I changed up to a thin senko and went to the drop shot.

After a short dry spell, we headed across the lake and started fishing the main and secondary points on the south side of the lake. A pattern slowly developed as most of our hits came just as the baits were pulled past the newly submerged brush and trees. I was positioning the boat in about 20-22 feet and casting about 10 feet from shore and working the 12-15 ft depth. My wife stuck with her game plan and worked her baits a little deeper behind the boat. We had a flurry of activity between 10 and 11 and then a pick until we had our 10th fish at 11:56. Hardly a lick of wind all day and no boat traffic to contend with. The hot bait of the day ended up being a thin Senko in Natural Shad, wacky rigged on a drop shot. We ended up with 5 fish each but the wife had the 1st and 2nd biggest fish of the day – a solid 4.7 and a 3.2. Most of mine were 2-3 pounds. Not bad for about 3 ½ hours of fishing. Welcome back Diamond Valley.

BassinPLS
06-02-2016, 07:47 AM
Pez Gringo,

Great report, Thanks. What a surprise...empty lake on Memorial Day! I guess everyone figured it would be jammed, I did!

MillsapBoyz
06-03-2016, 11:28 AM
Great post. I went out on Sun. for my 1st time ever and managed to land 3. I am new to bass fishing so figuring out DVL is really tough. Any and all tips are appreciated! I made a huge mistake and went to Perris (I have a pass) on Monday. There were 100+ crazies out there. The water was so full of vegetation, it was almost unfishable for this newbie!