PDA

View Full Version : Lost lake cajon pass.

old pudd fisher
05-21-2016, 10:24 PM
I never knew it was even there. Anyone ever fish it. 4845448455

Albert B
05-21-2016, 10:42 PM
Always wanted to check that place out. According to multiple sources it is a bottomless lake that leads to the center of the earth lol...Also heard that legitimately strange people hang out there. In terms of fishing there is supposedly your average bass/bluegill/carp population.

castle
05-22-2016, 06:44 AM
I dont know if there is much water in it now due to the long drought.Yes there was mostly bass and bluegill in there.If you go you need one of those adventure passes now when you park at the dirt lot there.P.S. if you do go, get there early as alot of wierdos flock there just to hang out, do drugs, etc.

Viejo
05-22-2016, 07:35 AM
Always wanted to check that place out. According to multiple sources it is a bottomless lake that leads to the center of the earth lol...Also heard that legitimately strange people hang out there. In terms of fishing there is supposedly your average bass/bluegill/carp population.

There is no bottomless lake....just a sag pond that maybe is 12 feet at the deepest point. This is not a place to take your family or kids. It is a hook up place for men that has spilled over from the old route 66 turnout. Adventure pass not needed as there are no restrooms or facilities. This is not a local's favorite....gets worse every year.

DEVOREFLYER
05-22-2016, 08:21 AM
Viejo "Nails It". No pun intended.......

DotA
05-22-2016, 11:13 AM
There is no bottomless lake....just a sag pond that maybe is 12 feet at the deepest point. This is not a place to take your family or kids. It is a hook up place for men that has spilled over from the old route 66 turnout. Adventure pass not needed as there are no restrooms or facilities. This is not a local's favorite....gets worse every year.

False information... Dude why post when u don't know? I love down the street and yes there is a restroom and Rangers fo ticket u for not having an adventure pass

Viejo
05-22-2016, 12:44 PM
First off, here's what I do know...the San Bernardino National Forest doesn't have enough LE's available to cover major crimes let alone a fixit ticket for not having a $5.00 Adventure Pass. The rec tecs can barely make it to all the areas they have to cover. They don't "write" tickets. I gave the facts and here again is the essence of what I said....Lost Lake is a place where men meet men and party. There is trash everywhere because the derelicts that hang there are pigs as well as other things. It is not a place to take your kids fishing or anyone you care about. I am glad you love down the street but Swarthout Canyon is not a street....it's a poorly graded dirt road. There was a time 40 years ago when this might have been a cool place to hang but not now.

DotA
05-29-2016, 10:09 AM
[QUOTE=Viejo;779607]First off, here's what I do know...the San Bernardino National Forest doesn't have enough LE's available to cover major crimes let alone a fixit ticket for not having a $5.00 Adventure Pass. The rec tecs can barely make it to all the areas they have to cover. They don't "write" tickets. I gave the facts and here again is the essence of what I said....Lost Lake is a place where men meet men and party. There is trash everywhere because the derelicts that hang there are pigs as well as other things. It is not a place to take your kids fishing or anyone you care about. I am glad you love down the street but Swarthout Canyon is not a street....it's a poorly graded dirt road. There was a time 40 years ago when this might have been a cool place to hang but not now.[/QUOTE

thanks for the facts but I don't believe what u says because you did mention there were no restroom there and now you supposedly claims the Rangers are lazy ? And to busy with other m4m stuff? Lol okay

DotA
05-29-2016, 10:14 AM
Fix it ticket ? Is this a car forum ?

Viejo
05-29-2016, 01:02 PM
You do so much better when you are selling stuff on the forum. No....I didn't say the Rangers are lazy, did I? I said they and the rec techs are so busy with other dipsticks and poor staffing that they don't have time to write Adventure Pass tickets. What the hell does "busy with other m4m stuff". Is that insider code for something you'd like to share with the group? I'll say it again. Lost Lake is not a place that you want to visit with your family. Do so at your own risk. There is a reason there is broken glass all over the parking lot. Sketchy dudes park and party here. If this is your ideal fishing spot....have at it. Watch your back.

GhettoBasster
05-30-2016, 11:38 PM
Viejo is just trying to scare everyone away from his favorite fishing hole. Seriously, I fished it once with Carpangler and we got some bass and gills and saw what was probably a nice carp or a huge lmb. I'd put my money on carp. It's a fascinating place and quite picturesque. The water is very clear. We didn't see anyone sketchy that day but I do not doubt the stories. If you have an urge to try the place, I'd go with a buddy or two. If you have a CCW, I would bring your gun. Just don't go Zimmerman on anyone.

DotA
05-31-2016, 05:15 AM
You do so much better when you are selling stuff on the forum. No....I didn't say the Rangers are lazy, did I? I said they and the rec techs are so busy with other dipsticks and poor staffing that they don't have time to write Adventure Pass tickets. What the hell does "busy with other m4m stuff". Is that insider code for something you'd like to share with the group? I'll say it again. Lost Lake is not a place that you want to visit with your family. Do so at your own risk. There is a reason there is broken glass all over the parking lot. Sketchy dudes park and party here. If this is your ideal fishing spot....have at it. Watch your back.

who asking you all these questions ? Surely you don't need to keep repeating it to me, I'm im saying is I do need an adventure pass and there is a restroom there... I corrected you because I'm 100% sure there is a restroom there. Bye

DotA
05-31-2016, 05:25 AM

You want a screenshot or what

hookdfisherman
05-31-2016, 06:32 AM
https://youtu.be/VqomZQMZQCQ

hookdfisherman
05-31-2016, 06:41 AM
https://youtu.be/VqomZQMZQCQ

https://youtu.be/e1lyNt5km8U

hookdfisherman
05-31-2016, 06:43 AM
https://youtu.be/e1lyNt5km8U

https://youtu.be/p34U-koLDzY

hookdfisherman
05-31-2016, 06:47 AM
https://youtu.be/p34U-koLDzY

https://youtu.be/qb3d4_Unp0M

hookdfisherman
05-31-2016, 06:49 AM
https://youtu.be/qb3d4_Unp0M

https://youtu.be/r-XnmArJ1Zs

hookdfisherman
05-31-2016, 06:51 AM
https://youtu.be/r-XnmArJ1Zs

https://youtu.be/gx6TBrfCW54

hookdfisherman
05-31-2016, 06:58 AM

So, I guess no badges... you might need that pass though.

carpanglerdude
05-31-2016, 07:10 AM
It's true, GB and I fished it once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kZwA-7iqEY

It's off a dirt road, limited facility, yes a restroom.

It's also near a place known for drug use and illicit meetups. Shady location but fishing was good when we went.

Viejo
09-10-2016, 12:47 PM
You want a screenshot or what

Lost Lake....the famous "bottomless" lake...is no more. Burned over in the Blue Cut Fire....along with everything else in Swarthout Canyon, is revealed to be what it was. A Sag Pond that was about 12 feet deep. It will likely never come back as a fishery but still might remain a gathering place for those lost souls who seek temporary gratification in the great outdoors.

https://youtu.be/4kPtmG6yZ9Y

castle
09-11-2016, 02:13 AM
Thats what I thought. It is dried up now due to the drought and fires. The same thing that happened to lake Elizabeth in the high desert. Used to be good fishing lakes.

seal
09-11-2016, 04:32 PM
Lost Lake....the famous "bottomless" lake...is no more. Burned over in the Blue Cut Fire....along with everything else in Swarthout Canyon, is revealed to be what it was. A Sag Pond that was about 12 feet deep. It will likely never come back as a fishery but still might remain a gathering place for those lost souls who seek temporary gratification in the great outdoors.

https://youtu.be/4kPtmG6yZ9Y

Best post I've seen in many years.

carpanglerdude
09-11-2016, 06:35 PM
Best post I've seen in many years.

!!!!! Wow. Amazing. Absolutely devastating and sucks to see the loss of yet another fishing spot, despite its unsavory reputation. Farewell, Lost Lake.

Then again, I've heard reports of it almost completely emptying out in the past, only to refill on its own. Would takes years, and some bucket biologist work....

old pudd fisher
09-11-2016, 09:57 PM
Yes that is amazing and devastating, now it really is a lost lake.

seal
09-12-2016, 09:29 AM
I just enjoyed Viejo's humor. I remember many years ago driving in that area and stopped to hike around, didn't take me long to figure out why there were always dudes parked there for no apparent reason, I haven't been back since. Lot's of areas are now closed due to the fires, affecting a lot of hunting opportunities in the area.

Viejo
09-12-2016, 01:38 PM
who asking you all these questions ? Surely you don't need to keep repeating it to me, I'm im saying is I do need an adventure pass and there is a restroom there... I corrected you because I'm 100% sure there is a restroom there. Bye

Still don't need an adventure pass. There's no facilities other then a dry sand fill depression. The entire Blue Cut Fire area is now closed until further notice and since you just lived a block away, you have lost everything. Very sorry about that.

DarkShadow
09-12-2016, 03:55 PM
12 feet?!?!

All my in depth (heh) research1 showed it was at least 400 feet deep. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subscript_and_superscript#cite_note-1)

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subscript_and_superscript#cite_note-1)1 FNN 2005-2016, various posts.

kwin
09-12-2016, 04:28 PM
!!!!! Wow. Amazing. Absolutely devastating and sucks to see the loss of yet another fishing spot, despite its unsavory reputation. Farewell, Lost Lake.

Then again, I've heard reports of it almost completely emptying out in the past, only to refill on its own. Would takes years, and some bucket biologist work....

I was hoping it would dry up. SO....if/when it gets water of any quality to support fish anytime soon I have a unique idea for the fishery in the pond. Bucket biologists will mess that unique opportunity up.

etucker1959
09-12-2016, 05:39 PM
I was hoping it would dry up. SO....if/when it gets water of any quality to support fish anytime soon I have a unique idea for the fishery in the pond. Bucket biologists will mess that unique opportunity up.
Well even though the Bucket biologist would have messed up your plans. Would you mind please sharing your idea with us???? You do have the credentials and the experience to come up with something pretty spectacular!!!!!

DarkShadow
09-12-2016, 06:21 PM
Well even though the Bucket biologist would have messed up your plans. Would you mind please sharing your idea with us???? You do have the credentials and the experience to come up with something pretty spectacular!!!!!Yes. And after the great idea has been put into motion, make sure enough stripers are carefully stocked to ruin the fun.

shinbob
09-12-2016, 07:10 PM
Yes. And after the great idea has been put into motion, make sure enough stripers are carefully stocked to ruin the fun.

Or flathead catfish...

shinbob
09-12-2016, 07:32 PM
Well even though the Bucket biologist would have messed up your plans. Would you mind please sharing your idea with us???? You do have the credentials and the experience to come up with something pretty spectacular!!!!!

Yes! Tell us the idea!

Gotta be something small -- Sacramento Perch?

GhettoBasster
09-12-2016, 08:05 PM
Some snakehead would make an awesome topwater fishery. :Razz:

carpanglerdude
09-12-2016, 08:53 PM
Probably a big fence around it, like Lake Matthews

/jaded

GhettoBasster
09-12-2016, 09:41 PM
That would be the saddest but most likely outcome.

DarkShadow
09-13-2016, 10:14 AM
Northern Pike! Or perhaps we should import some of those tasty Asian Carp?

GhettoBasster
09-13-2016, 10:22 AM
Northern Pike! Or perhaps we should import some of those tasty Asian Carp?

Yes! Fun AND tasty!

kwin
09-14-2016, 09:12 AM
Yes! Tell us the idea!

Gotta be something small -- Sacramento Perch?

We have a winner. They do not do well with other Centrarchids..which is why they are nearly extirpated from CA. A dried up and refilled water body is ideal for an introduction. If they were introduced, they would provide a unique fishing opportunity for anglers in SoCal.

Stinkbait
09-14-2016, 10:06 AM
The locals up at Crowley keep the sac perch out of there and throw back trout. Tastey clean white flakey tacos.
I think it is still no limit for sac perch up at Crowley.

seal
09-14-2016, 10:08 AM
Slimy basstards to fillet though.

shinbob
09-14-2016, 10:20 AM
The locals up at Crowley keep the sac perch out of there and throw back trout. Tastey clean white flakey tacos.
I think it is still no limit for sac perch up at Crowley.

I'm not a local, but I much prefer Sac Perch to trout. More fun to catch, too, but not much of a fighter. There was no limit at Crowley, but people were catching trash cans full of them, so now there's a limit of 25 fish.

Sac perch are also a great idea to maintain a fishery for, as they are virtually extinct in their native range, due to being out-competed by bass and other introduced panfish, as kwin mentioned. Here is a unique case where the bucket biologists have actually (inadvertently) done a species a great service, and protected them from extinction by introducing them into Crowley, Bridgeport, Pyramid (NV), and other places that they are not native to.

seal
09-14-2016, 04:44 PM
Got to watch out for stunted fish though like some crappie fisheries. Gull lake in the Sierra's comes to mind when I think about stunted Sac. perch, little itty bitty fish.

shinbob
09-14-2016, 05:49 PM
Got to watch out for stunted fish though like some crappie fisheries. Gull lake in the Sierra's comes to mind when I think about stunted Sac. perch, little itty bitty fish.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Gull has the perch, but they're tiny and not really worth cleaning. However, Gull also freezes up for a good portion of the winter. Maybe a warmer winter/longer summer would help with the growth?

DarkShadow
09-14-2016, 06:07 PM
We're really arguing what good our dfg will do with this place?We do realize what state we are in, right?I thought Kwin jumped in to troll us all.Let's not think this too far tho. He already has a few stripers biting his alabama rig. In fact, if the DFG has allowed him to be a spokesman of theirs, Id LOVE to hear what his side project would've been for this place.Kwin, the floor is yours.

shinbob
09-15-2016, 08:24 AM
We're really arguing what good our dfg will do with this place?We do realize what state we are in, right?I thought Kwin jumped in to troll us all.Let's not think this too far tho. He already has a few stripers biting his alabama rig. In fact, if the DFG has allowed him to be a spokesman of theirs, Id LOVE to hear what his side project would've been for this place.Kwin, the floor is yours.

Seriously? You really have to call him out on this?

Kwin provides a great, unique insight that no one else on this board can give. We have an insider in our midst, but instead of being grateful, he gets nothing but grief instead.

I get that we are all frustrated with the DFW, but Kwin is not their head policy maker, nor is he their spokesman (I presume). He is a biologist that also appears to be an avid fisherman (and not just with a cattle prod). Google his name and you'll see that he has done more to improve the So Cal freshwater fishery than all of the rest of us combined.

Just close your eyes, take a deep breath, and dream of a Sacto Perch fishery in the local area. That would be second only to my dream of a walleye fishery in Big Bear Lake.

hookdfisherman
09-15-2016, 01:14 PM

Jus' 4 da as's hose...

Sacramento perch

The Sacramento perch is an endangered sunfish native to the Sacramento–San Joaquin River Delta, Pajaro, and Salinas River areas in California, but widely introduced throughout the western United States.

CHUCKY
09-15-2016, 06:49 PM
I bet this lake went dry from the helicopters sucking the water out of there to stop the fire. I hope it stays dry so no more (sucking) goes on in that area.

Viejo
09-15-2016, 08:08 PM
I bet this lake went dry from the helicopters sucking the water out of there to stop the fire. I hope it stays dry so no more (sucking) goes on in that area.

It was used as a dip source for the first hour by a few helos but was surround by fire and smoke and was unusable after that. They would have quit using it when they started seeing shallow water so as to not ingest sand anyway. In this case, a fire storm of heat pretty much evaporated what little water was left. That whole canyon is nuked.

GhettoBasster
09-16-2016, 08:37 PM
Seriously? You really have to call him out on this?

Kwin provides a great, unique insight that no one else on this board can give. We have an insider in our midst, but instead of being grateful, he gets nothing but grief instead.

I get that we are all frustrated with the DFW, but Kwin is not their head policy maker, nor is he their spokesman (I presume). He is a biologist that also appears to be an avid fisherman (and not just with a cattle prod). Google his name and you'll see that he has done more to improve the So Cal freshwater fishery than all of the rest of us combined.

Just close your eyes, take a deep breath, and dream of a Sacto Perch fishery in the local area. That would be second only to my dream of a walleye fishery in Big Bear Lake.

I agree with Bob. Kwin has been immensely helpful on this forum despite the harassment he gets from a lot of posters.

Jayman1974
11-11-2016, 11:52 AM
I agree with Bob. Kwin has been immensely helpful on this forum despite the harassment he gets from a lot of posters.

For all you fishermen out there, you need not consider trying your luck at Lost Lake. We stopped by there yesterday after a hike and it's bone dry. Sadly, there are hundreds of beer bottles sitting on what used to be the bottom the lake. In its day, the parking area was notorious for vehicles having their windows broken by burglars. For reasons already mentioned, it is not a place to take the family!

BassinPLS
11-12-2016, 07:45 AM

I agree. Kwin is a source of accurate and knowledgeable information on all our lakes in the Inland Empire area and much appreciated, IMHO!