PDA

View Full Version : Best off shore low pro reel and rod

Andrews90
05-17-2016, 07:02 PM
Gonna get a reel thinking revo toro or lexa what is the best

jaggerbub
05-17-2016, 07:19 PM
I have a revo toro 61 nacl and I've caught multiple yellowfin and yt on it. I have mine spooled with #50 power pro and use only a short topshot. Haven't been spooled yet. Went about a little more than halfway a couple times with tunas up to #25 lb. If you get into a bigger grade of fish, best of luck to you. Lol... If you plan on using #65 spectra, you will not have that much line capacity. I bought the reel for inshore fishing, but have used it plenty of times offshore. It's a blast to fish with. Easy to cast without birdnesting too... I have used it on my crucial swimbait rod, and also on my 809h phenix black diamond, but it feels best on my G loomis 7' pro blue rod.

Andrews90
05-17-2016, 08:31 PM
I'm thinking I might have to pick one of those up

twin22s
05-18-2016, 10:53 AM
For smaller grade fish you have lots of options, but if you hook something big line capacity can be the difference between losing a great fish, your lure/line, or having an awesome fish story about the time you landed a beast on bass gear. Not sure what the specs are on the sizes your looking at but I recommend going for maximum line cap. Also don't put 50# braid if your never going to fish 40# or more topshot. My vote would be the lexia 400 and a little more stick than you think you need just in case. I have an Orra inshore but I wish I would have gotten something bigger, I really only bought it for the kelp beds or the harbor but I could have bought one reel that could do both and now that money I "saved" is going to go toward a bigger more capable reel.

dbfishing
05-18-2016, 11:12 AM
Shimano tranx

parkermann2
05-18-2016, 02:46 PM
I haven't used the revo but I have a Lexa 300. I've heard great things about the revo and I'm sure that you will be satisfied either way

jaggerbub
05-18-2016, 06:23 PM
To each his own, but I'm comfortable with #50 so I can do a lot more with this reel. Live bait, to throwing the iron, to throwing swimbait into kelp paddies (kelp cutter), or throwing an expensive $100 trout lure in freshwater in search of that dd striper! Personally, I wouldn't go less than 50# spectra for these reasons. The reel has the capacity so why not. We're not spooling up a 100 or 200 size reel here where we don't have the line capacity to use the bigger braid. Spectra wears down after a season or two and I'd rather have 50# now to fish with 20-30 topshot later on when the spectra is weaker.

parkermann2
05-19-2016, 12:34 PM
And fill it with power pro slick. It casts a mile so smooth!