PDA

View Full Version : Santa Ana River info please

Bashman
05-12-2016, 02:15 PM
I'm planning on going up to Santa Ana River soon near Hwy 38. This will be my first time hitting that creek.
Can someone recommend what area of the river may offer a better chance? For example, would the creek be better south of the hwy or north off seven oaks?
Thanks for the help.

Viejo
05-12-2016, 08:50 PM
Take the 11 mile dirt road from near 7 oaks that goes to Barton Flats. (Take 38 to Glass Rd and turn left....Glass Road and turn right to follow road to Barton Flats). It parallels the Santa Ana River closely the entire way. Every half mile, park and walk the short distance to the river and fish. You will not see very many people and there is a ton of wild fish and hold overs in the creek. Fish are not very big.....6" fish will be a big one but there are definitely in there. You have 11 miles of pretty much solitude and using that formula, we caught fish at every stop. Bring your A game though because the fish are spooky, water levels are low and there are lots of branches waiting to snag you.

Bashman
05-13-2016, 07:15 AM
Thank you Viejo!

Would you know if thats the area known as south fork? Its indicated that there was to be a stocking in south fork this week.
I have seen some big ones pulled out of SAR watching youtube.

Thanks again for your help.

Viejo
05-13-2016, 08:57 AM
They stock at a number of the road over crossings on the 11 mile stretch I mentioned. Look at the dates on those videos (a bunch of the "big" fish were caught at santa Ana river lake). Since the drought, the fire and silting in, you will have to work for the fish you do find.