PDA

View Full Version : MDR 4/28

fishkenstein
04-28-2007, 05:30 PM
My wife took the baby out to the mall this morning, so I have a chance to sneak out and do some fishing; also I want to test out the new spinning reel I just got. It is a small Pflueger Medalist 2/4/6lb size spinning reel, I replace the drag washer with Penn’s HT-100 drag; I want to see how a small reel like that to hold up with bigger fish. I loaded it up with 10lb braided line also brought a baitcast setup for backup, just in case the spinning go messy.
http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/IMG_3466.JPG

I run off to Marina Del Ray and got there at 8am. The weather was kind of nice, no wind, little cloudy, and the water was very clear; you can see a lot of bait fish swimming around. I started with Fish trap Halloween color, casted for about 10min, no bite; then I change my bait to blue white color, for about the 5th cast, fish on! The bite wasn’t too hard like some sand bass, I almost thought my bait hit the rock or the surface, but then the line starts pulling very hard then I know it is a big fish. First I thought it might be a Bat ray, cos I caught one at the same spot last time; then very soon I saw it is a Halibut. Fortunately the spinning reel performs pretty well, better then I was expected. The HT-100 drag (I did put some Cal grease on) is very smooth and it give enough pressure to the fish. After less then 5min fight, I landed that halibut at the nearest rock. I don’t have a tape to measure how long the fish was, but it seem like a pretty good size (20inch?)…I release it after I took the picture…..
http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/IMG_3454c.JPG

After the halibut the fishing was pretty slow, I change the bait to Strom Live Sardine green color, and then after 10min, Bang! very strong bite and fright, I was thinking it must be a big Sand bass. Damn it! No! wrong again, it was a big freaking bird! That stupid bird just come out from no where, I swear I never see him swimming around me before I cast my bait. He must be holding his breath for hours in the water before I came. This is the last thing you want to catch when you go fishing, you don’t want to hurt them, but you don’t want to touch them either. And you don’t want them to die with a big swim bait attach to their mouth because of you. It took me a good 5 min to take the hook off from his mouth. Suck!
At the end I caught a ugly fish, I think it is a Midshipman, nasty looking with some pink color on its body (I hate colorful fish), I never seen one this big before it size like a mid sand bass.
After 4 hr fishing and I decide to call it a day, didn’t catch much, but not bad to get some fresh air near the water..
http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/IMG_3460a.JPG

http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/IMG_3462.JPG

http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/IMG_3465.JPG

hakaveli
04-28-2007, 05:38 PM
Good job man i was going to go there today but got lazy

Nessie Hunter
04-28-2007, 06:40 PM
Midshipman... :thumb: :thumb:

That second pic shows the rows of photophores very well.. That line the side and belly of the fish (along with other spots also)...

They have venomous dorsal spines also, be careful.....

Great report, Thanks.. :lol: :lol:

4g63power
04-28-2007, 07:18 PM
thanks for the report! glad to hear that you liked your new spinning reel and caught some fish with it..

victor101
04-28-2007, 07:45 PM
Nice! :thumb: that hali looks like a legal or pretty darn close

Matador1238
04-28-2007, 07:49 PM
Good job man!! Too bad I couldnt go...... :cry: Ok, no more bass for me, I want to catch a halibut too. :lol:

n1ckxlam
04-28-2007, 10:44 PM
you have a really nice camera, or really good resizing software..
nice report btw

fishkenstein
04-29-2007, 02:54 AM
Midshipman... :thumb: :thumb:

That second pic shows the rows of photophores very well.. That line the side and belly of the fish (along with other spots also)...

They have venomous dorsal spines also, be careful.....

Great report, Thanks.. :lol: :lol:

so not only it is look ugly, it also poision too? ewwww, it make Sculpin a much better fish, at lest Sculpin tast good. is Midshipman eatable ?

fishkenstein
04-29-2007, 03:11 AM
thanks for the report! glad to hear that you liked your new spinning reel and caught some fish with it..

I haven't use spinning for a while now, most of my setup are baitcasting; i got this reel from a big lot with other broken reels on ebay, since i found it is a full aluminum body, so i think it might be worth to fix and upgrade it for saltwater use. after this trip, I like the reel a lot, I think it will become one of my favor sand bass setup. :thumb:

fishkenstein
04-29-2007, 03:18 AM
you have a really nice camera, or really good resizing software..
nice report btw

Thank you, but the camera is a old canon, and the resizing program is the one that come with Nreo 7 called Nero PhotoSnap. why don't you just say i am a good photographer, it will make me feel better ....haha jk :lol:

Sea Murda
04-29-2007, 09:28 AM
Good report...........thanks for the pics!

cappo
04-29-2007, 11:32 AM
way to go on the butt

Fisho
04-29-2007, 04:59 PM
Nice job! :D

Hitts0n
04-30-2007, 07:48 AM
Ditt0 ! :lol: :thumb:

paintnfish
04-30-2007, 05:43 PM
Great job, thanks for the report.

EricU
04-30-2007, 05:48 PM
It looks like it was a good day to break in that set-up.

Great looking halibut...ugly midshipman. I haven't heard of one caught down there.

clem de la clem
05-07-2007, 07:11 PM
:shock: wtf... that is one ugly fish. that would have freaked me out.

nice hook job on the hali. :D

thanks for the post.

c