PDA

View Full Version : Advice on building a rod and reel setup

Markymark13
04-27-2016, 09:01 PM
Hey everyone,

It's been awhile since I've had time to get out of and fish. No one told me graduate school would take so much time :LOL: I've been wanting to get out into some harbor/bay fishing as well as going out on charters. I'm not too knowledgable on salt water setups, so I was hoping someone could offer some advice on a combo or two that would get the job done for both situations. I would prefer to keep it on the not too pricey side. Thanks for your time.

Pablo22
08-10-2016, 09:54 AM
While I've been slowly buying more and more expensive gear, I have loaner rods & reels for people (I'm always encouraging everyone to go). Two of those which have been great for the local charters are Californian Rods with old Penn 500 Jigmasters - these are what I started with. One is a 6'6 and the other is 7' - $49 & $59 respectively. The reels were probably $25 on ebay. The Californians are warrantied and Turners replaces them for half price (just replaced the 7' yesterday which broke last week out of Dana Wharf Fishing after my 15yo spent 30 mins fighting a whopper). If you are more interested in a Spinning Reel vs. Conventional I just bought a Californian TBF-65B ($89) from Turners which is made by Okuma - Caught a few Sand & Calico Bass with it last week. This reel also has the warranty (50% lifetime replacement). Hope this helps.

Frankenfish
08-10-2016, 10:06 PM
I think you'd be better off w. 2 outfits...a lighter spinning and a heavier conventional for bigger inshore fish or off of a boat. That way you can match your outfit to the fish size you are catching and have more fun.

What's your budget like when you say nothing too pricey? That will help people give more specific tackle recommendations. I have a bunch of fresh and saltwater gear for sale as well if you ever get to LA but if you just need advice on whether something you see local is a good deal, just pm me and I'll be happy to give you any advice.

Now if you are talking about rod building...thats a different conversation.