PDA

View Full Version : Another new dude

copeyboy
10-16-2007, 06:23 PM
Hey everyone, my name is Gary and I'm new on the board. I live in Victorville and recently began making trips up to Silverwood and to the acqueduct. I haven't caught anything yet at either place, but I'm not losing hope. I've had two bites in three trips to the 'duct, but they've both broke my line before I could land them. Anyway, if anyone ever wants company up at the 'wood or the 'duct, I'm pretty open to going. I'm a teacher, so I work all weekdays, but only until 2 p.m. I just need time to let my wife know. So, I really do enjoy checking out this board, lots of good info on here. I'll check back in later. Peace.

Gary

gletemfeelsteelgary
10-16-2007, 06:30 PM
Welcome newbie #2 I'll mirror the earlier posts and say we all look forward to seeing your sucessfull posts (or non sucessfull for that matter) here in the reports forum.....

Have fun w/it theres great people here...Salute !

Get out there and "let 'em feel the steel !"

(I'll let someone else cue ya up on the navigation of these forums though, I remember when I 1st joined, I'm still learning a bit myself.... gotta go)
Gary

WJC71
10-16-2007, 06:31 PM
welcome to the board

Wingnut
10-16-2007, 06:35 PM
The moderators will move your thread into the "Welcome" section soon. WELCOME to the board! happy fishing to you.

abne
10-16-2007, 06:38 PM
Hi copeyboy " The New Dud! Welcome to the board :appl: I am abne on the board here in Hesperia. I am ready to fish and will contact you with a pm. I am sure you will catch some fish at the wood or in the duct soon, don't give up.

Have a great day,

abne

DarkShadow
10-16-2007, 06:58 PM
Hey everyone, my name is Gary and I'm new on the board. I live in Victorville and recently began making trips up to Silverwood and to the acqueduct. I haven't caught anything yet at either place, but I'm not losing hope. I've had two bites in three trips to the 'duct, but they've both broke my line before I could land them. Anyway, if anyone ever wants company up at the 'wood or the 'duct, I'm pretty open to going. I'm a teacher, so I work all weekdays, but only until 2 p.m. I just need time to let my wife know. So, I really do enjoy checking out this board, lots of good info on here. I'll check back in later. Peace.

Gary

Gary,

Welcome to FNN.

Sucks to hear about your line breaking on your two bites. Did it break on hookset, or while you were fighting the fish?

The most common reason on why line breaks is because your drag on your reel was not set correctly. If set correctly, when the fish makes a run, the line should 'peel' off the reel and prevent it from breaking.

You might have old monofilament as well. If left out in the sun for extended periods of time, monofilament will break down and lose it's strength. Making sure you have fresh line on your reel is also a good idea.

Lastly, it could be that your knots are slipping. An easy way to check this is to check the end of your line for what I refer to as a 'pig tail.' If the line has a curly end, your knot most likely slipped. If the cut at the end of your line is 'clean,' you either had the drag set too tight, the fish took you under some cover that cut the line, the line is old, or you might have gotten sawed off on the gill plates of the stripers you hooked, as they are razor sharp.

In any case, good luck on your ventures. I heard the aqueduct can make for a good day if you know where to fish and what to use.

p.s. As someone who comes from a family of educators, I admire how much hard work teachers put in, and how society sometimes forgets. Thank you.

GeordyBass
10-16-2007, 07:00 PM
welcome to fishingnetwork! :mrgreen:

BuzzBait
10-16-2007, 07:06 PM
Welcome! I fish the palmdale aqueduct sometimes when we cant go to castaic or further. I usually go on sundays. Perhaps one of these days I'll see you there!

copeyboy
10-16-2007, 07:09 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm looking forward to soaking more line as time permits.

Troutman65
10-16-2007, 10:16 PM
Welcome to the FNN message boards.

Troutman65

one_leg
10-16-2007, 10:26 PM
copeyboy, I'd like to take this opportunity to welcome you to FNN. Welcome copeyboy.

One_Leg

saintarv
10-17-2007, 11:22 AM
Welcome to the FN message boards.

Troutman65

Ditto....

SoCalGuy7
10-17-2007, 05:23 PM
Welcome :banana:

Where exactly is the Aqueduct? I've been wanting to check it out.

ScG7