PDA

View Full Version : backpacking/fishing trip questions

esteban1t
04-23-2016, 04:04 PM
Haven't posted in a while as i haven't been fishing since last catfish season at irvine..... Been busy with my first year in college.
Anyway, i am planning a trip with two other friends and their 2 dogs for a backpacking/fishing trip in the sierras, and had a few questions
Dates:anywhere between last week of may to first week of june
I just need any advice on where i should go that is dog friendly , and has various fishing locations
and maybe any useful gear to bring and fishing tackle

Viejo
04-23-2016, 06:02 PM
How do you have to go? How much experience do you have backpacking? Oh, by the way...much of the Sierras will still be under a blanket of snow with the exception of the Southern sierra. Mammoth mountain still has 18 feet of snow on top. There are plenty of trail heads in the south but you would be advised to get your reservations in now as they fill up quickly with the JMT and PCT hikers. Remember about mandatory bear canisters and fire permits. Pretty much any place you choose in the Southern Sierra will have creeks with fish in them. Technically, dogs must be on leash in the National Forest and you will encounter horseback riders and pack strings on the trail where they must be under your control. I would call the Inyo national forest HQ in bishop and get the low down permit availability and what is open. Take pictures and post back here.

hookdfisherman
04-23-2016, 06:23 PM
I used to hike a bunch... Bishop, Lone Pine, Mammoth Area. (we'd hike, camp, fish for a week to 10 days).

I took my dog up once. She was a runner, very healthy and in shape.

When we hit altitude, it was over. She was not acclimated and needed to be brought down. She might not have made it had I taken her in and hiked her around. It was scary.

I drove her back home (where she recovered fully) and I turned back around and went hiking to salvage my hunt for goldens in Dusy Basin.

(or maybe that was a Mammoth Area Trip, not sure if dogs are allowed in wilderness areas.)

michaegrossehiker
06-11-2016, 12:55 AM
Not sure if you have left for your trip yet, but places that are dog friendly and possible fishing, but small trout streams would include the Caples Creek/Silver Fork loop, located off of Highway 50 near Kyburz, having just driven 88/108/120 over memorial day weekend, you have pretty good access for places lower than about 7500 feet or so, Kennedy Meadows, East Fork Carson...there are a lot of open areas, it kind of depends on how far you want to drive. As to equipment, some kastmasters and panther martins, if you aren't a fly fisher, then some bubbles and flies..

North Fork of American River off of 80 or Foresthill divide, more Foothill than Sierras, but both fishable and dog friendly, lakes and creeks off of Bowman Lake Road, Leavett Meadows, possibly all the way to Freemont.