PDA

View Full Version : The shogun 1.5 good times fished 4/21/16!!

blakeb
04-23-2016, 09:15 AM
Hey FNN'ers!!!!!
Here is my report for Frankie and I for our 1.5 Shogun Run!

Weather:​
Ride out-very smooth going down swell not much lump and very little wind slept good.
Maybe 5 knots at most with 2ft swells
Morning-very mild chop with a little wind 2-3 ft swells with 7-8knots of wind very nice.
Afternoon-picked up bigger swells with about 10-15 Knots at times swells 4-5ft but still fishable.
Ride home- very rough going up swell 5-6ft swells with 20 knots of wind made for a bumpy ride home.

PRE-OP:
After tons of waiting and watching people's reports of getting these bluefin Frankie and I had talked about heading out multiple times. I had had trips canceled 3 weeks in a row due to weather before we had booked. We decided after a week of good counts and what looked like was going to be good weather at the time of trip we were looking at to book it. We booked this trip 1 week in advance of the actual go date. At that point the fish were still coming in steady and we were fired up to get em.
Fast forward to the three days before the trip. All the sudden the weather flopped well at least looked like it was going to. I was pretty frustrated at that point knowing it would be four weeks in a row that I would have trips canceled. The counts for BF to a huge drop it was like 1-2 fish per fleet if they were lucky and shogun got 1 on one trip and 2 on the trip before ours. Woke up Wednesday morning and was ready to make the drive we weren't pumped on the conditions we were heading into but new if we didn't go and they hit it big we would be pretty frustrated. Down we went to SD with big dreams of hopefully catching anything at this point.

OPERATION SHOGUN RUN:
After wanting to go so bad we finally bored the shogun. We loaded up all our gear and we were off. It was cool seeing some familiar deck hands I new from other boats working on there. We made our way to the barge and loaded the boat with some small firecracker sardines and good size macs. After we loaded up Capt came down and we decided on the plan make a long run in hopes of fish (120-130 miles). Our ETA was around 7:30 and when we woke up it was very nice out. We pulled up on some fish not knowing that this so called yellowtail school might have some other lurkers in it. I fired down my full size 6x and BOOM on the drop lol. Line starts burning off my reel and after a good 20min we get this fish to color. Touch down my trip is all made for the day 55 pound bluefin hits the deck. We got two fish on the intial drop both iron fish.
After a good 15min of bait soaking 4 more people hook up including Frankie. After a while I see Frankie up there close to color and boom another one also around 55 pounds. The trip paid off we got what we came for. Over time we picked off the yellows and a couple bluefin here and there. Majority of the fish came up off the jig as far as the yellows went. We lost more bluefin then we landed but both Frankie and I went 1/1 on them. The yellowtail and bluefin both were stuff with red crab. We kept fishing hard and Frankie killed his limit of yellowtail and I got 2 could not get them on the yoyo of my life depended on it at the end there. From 4pm to dark we searched for more bluefin but were not finding fish that would react to the mass bumping of bait. Finally we found one school that popped a little bit we had 2 hook ups 1 guy farmed it and other got chewed off. We also had a blow up on the kite that last stop but the guy didn't crank on it fast enough and the fish was gone.
The boat finished with 10 BF and 68 yellowtail I think with a couple random stragglers in the mix. Frankie went 6/6 on hookups I went 3/3 the trip was fun.

POST OP:
After a long wait I had finally scratched that off shore itch a little and man it felt good. The trip was fun with some cool guys on it. Everyone fished hard weather they were brand new to this scene or new what they were doing. I want to thank the Shogun for a badass trip for the early season bluefin. The crew was great always right there to help and make sure everyone was good. The cooks on the boat definitely made some bomb food which fueled the energy to keep grinding. The Capt was very cool and made a good decision to run long and it worked we got into fish.
Thank you everyone who reads this TIGHTLiNES!!

webmaster
04-23-2016, 09:27 AM
Great report Blake! thanks for sharing. Sounds like a fun trip!

etucker1959
04-23-2016, 09:35 AM
Hey FNN'ers!!!!!
Here is my report for Frankie and I for our 1.5 Shogun Run!

Weather:​
Ride out-very smooth going down swell not much lump and very little wind slept good.
Maybe 5 knots at most with 2ft swells
Morning-very mild chop with a little wind 2-3 ft swells with 7-8knots of wind very nice.
Afternoon-picked up bigger swells with about 10-15 Knots at times swells 4-5ft but still fishable.
Ride home- very rough going up swell 5-6ft swells with 20 knots of wind made for a bumpy ride home.

PRE-OP:
After tons of waiting and watching people's reports of getting these bluefin Frankie and I had talked about heading out multiple times. I had had trips canceled 3 weeks in a row due to weather before we had booked. We decided after a week of good counts and what looked like was going to be good weather at the time of trip we were looking at to book it. We booked this trip 1 week in advance of the actual go date. At that point the fish were still coming in steady and we were fired up to get em.
Fast forward to the three days before the trip. All the sudden the weather flopped well at least looked like it was going to. I was pretty frustrated at that point knowing it would be four weeks in a row that I would have trips canceled. The counts for BF to a huge drop it was like 1-2 fish per fleet if they were lucky and shogun got 1 on one trip and 2 on the trip before ours. Woke up Wednesday morning and was ready to make the drive we weren't pumped on the conditions we were heading into but new if we didn't go and they hit it big we would be pretty frustrated. Down we went to SD with big dreams of hopefully catching anything at this point.

OPERATION SHOGUN RUN:
After wanting to go so bad we finally bored the shogun. We loaded up all our gear and we were off. It was cool seeing some familiar deck hands I new from other boats working on there. We made our way to the barge and loaded the boat with some small firecracker sardines and good size macs. After we loaded up Capt came down and we decided on the plan make a long run in hopes of fish (120-130 miles). Our ETA was around 7:30 and when we woke up it was very nice out. We pulled up on some fish not knowing that this so called yellowtail school might have some other lurkers in it. I fired down my full size 6x and BOOM on the drop lol. Line starts burning off my reel and after a good 20min we get this fish to color. Touch down my trip is all made for the day 55 pound bluefin hits the deck. We got two fish on the intial drop both iron fish.
After a good 15min of bait soaking 4 more people hook up including Frankie. After a while I see Frankie up there close to color and boom another one also around 55 pounds. The trip paid off we got what we came for. Over time we picked off the yellows and a couple bluefin here and there. Majority of the fish came up off the jig as far as the yellows went. We lost more bluefin then we landed but both Frankie and I went 1/1 on them. The yellowtail and bluefin both were stuff with red crab. We kept fishing hard and Frankie killed his limit of yellowtail and I got 2 could not get them on the yoyo of my life depended on it at the end there. From 4pm to dark we searched for more bluefin but were not finding fish that would react to the mass bumping of bait. Finally we found one school that popped a little bit we had 2 hook ups 1 guy farmed it and other got chewed off. We also had a blow up on the kite that last stop but the guy didn't crank on it fast enough and the fish was gone.
The boat finished with 10 BF and 68 yellowtail I think with a couple random stragglers in the mix. Frankie went 6/6 on hookups I went 3/3 the trip was fun.

POST OP:
After a long wait I had finally scratched that off shore itch a little and man it felt good. The trip was fun with some cool guys on it. Everyone fished hard weather they were brand new to this scene or new what they were doing. I want to thank the Shogun for a badass trip for the early season bluefin. The crew was great always right there to help and make sure everyone was good. The cooks on the boat definitely made some bomb food which fueled the energy to keep grinding. The Capt was very cool and made a good decision to run long and it worked we got into fish.
Thank you everyone who reads this TIGHTLiNES!!

They don't offer fishing cleaning on that boat do they? (I had the same experience 25 years ago on the same boat on a 1.5 trip.)

blakeb
04-23-2016, 09:42 AM
They don't offer fishing cleaning on that boat do they? (I had the same experience 25 years ago on the same boat on a 1.5 trip.)

Hey man hows it going no they do not. From what i noticed they keep it long range style where you either take whole or they will have the fish processors waiting on the dock for you. I myself got my fish processed my buddy frankie took his home.

blakeb
04-23-2016, 09:44 AM
Great report Blake! thanks for sharing. Sounds like a fun trip!

Thanks Jeff hope all is well man. Definitely was a fun trip out there!

jaggerbub
04-23-2016, 09:53 AM
Awesome trip!

FrankyG
04-23-2016, 11:08 AM
We got em!

murrieta angler
04-23-2016, 01:47 PM
Nice!
110-120 is a long way to get some Bluefin, but you and Frankie prevailed...:Big Grin:
I heard that some 80-110 pounders are 9 miles off shore, but they didn't say what shore...:Rolls Eyes:
Thanks for the report,
Robert
<><

christainmetalhead909
04-24-2016, 01:19 PM
NICE!!!!! those are some good sized slugs too!!! WTG

simijab
04-25-2016, 11:19 AM
was this one of the rice bowl charters trips that they added

Jig-Guy
04-29-2016, 09:51 PM
Glad you 2 got bit and had a great time, wished I was there. Thanks for the report and pictures.

Glenn
04-30-2016, 10:47 AM
Looks like an awesome successful outing esp after 3 cancels in a row. :Crying: Thanks for the cool report!