PDA

View Full Version : Sports chalet is closing

Joshua
04-17-2016, 05:09 PM
Just read that all sports chalet stores are closing for good.
May be some good deals to be had.

Albert B
04-17-2016, 05:36 PM
Went today and the line was a mile long and the sale was only 10% off anything at the store.

Frankenfish
04-17-2016, 10:45 PM
Yeah i went too to use a $10 action pass and 20% coupon before they expired. The good news is they took the $10 action pass...the bad news...they arent honoring the coupon even tho its not expired. Apparently the employees just walked into the store and found out about it themselves on Friday. Couldnt believe the lines of people for just 10% off as well...wtf...more people than when they had their 50% off. Sucks that they're closing...apparently they got bought out by a big EastmCoast Sporting Goods chain...just a couple of months ago...now this...feel bad for the employees and just 1 less place to pick up tackle in a pinch.

Nuoc Mam
04-20-2016, 08:53 AM
Yeah it's only 10% off but it is funny how many people flock to the store for that 10% off. Sometimes if you actually pause and think about it, even with their 10% off, you can actually buy that same item elsewhere for cheaper. Not saying that Sports Chalet did this but sometimes stores will mark up their price and then put a "X"% off making people think they are getting a deal but in reality they aren't. Not bashing them but this happens often. Like before they put a 25% off of an item, they will mark it up to make up a little on their so-called lost. Reading on another site that a fellow angler could have sworn that a week ago the prices for some items were a lot less than what it is this week at Sports Chalet. They even had tags over the old existing price that was blacked out. Sometimes makes you wonder if you really are getting a deal. Just saying.

ichthus
04-20-2016, 09:06 AM
Bummer...Thanks for the heads up!

jhernandez25
04-20-2016, 09:12 AM
Yeah 10% off not really worth it, one of my friends said his wife spent over an hour in line to save a few bucks. Sport Chalet wouldn't even let me double dip :-( I usually get 10% off with Military Discount so before I bought anything and waited in line I asked a Manager if i would be able to use both discounts the sale discount of 10% and my Military Discount 10% and he simply said no double dipping one or the other:Crying:

fishing_freak
04-20-2016, 10:00 AM
Yeah it's only 10% off but it is funny how many people flock to the store for that 10% off. Sometimes if you actually pause and think about it, even with their 10% off, you can actually buy that same item elsewhere for cheaper. Not saying that Sports Chalet did this but sometimes stores will mark up their price and then put a "X"% off making people think they are getting a deal but in reality they aren't. Not bashing them but this happens often. Like before they put a 25% off of an item, they will mark it up to make up a little on their so-called lost. Reading on another site that a fellow angler could have sworn that a week ago the prices for some items were a lot less than what it is this week at Sports Chalet. They even had tags over the old existing price that was blacked out. Sometimes makes you wonder if you really are getting a deal. Just saying.Yeap sports authority did the same thing, thats why i carried my price match app, i can always scan the barcode on which prices are cheaper or not

shinbob
04-20-2016, 11:45 AM
Just got back from the one in La Canada. Even at 10% (which isn't much, I agree), they're already starting to get cleaned out of the good stuff.

The high-dollar saltwater reels are mostly gone:
http://i.imgur.com/xFCuVcM.jpg

This is where the good trout lures (kastmasters, mepps, rooster tails, etc...) were:

http://i.imgur.com/qXyPPSY.jpg

Bwood
04-21-2016, 02:40 PM
Mission V is pretty much looted as well. Even at 10%, their prices are still to high. Don't know why, I bought some more gear that I don't need.

jaggerbub
04-22-2016, 06:49 PM
Chino hills still has lots of stuff. But at just 10%, things are still cheaper online.

Frankenfish
04-28-2016, 10:31 PM
A lot of people had these 20% off coupons up until April 23 in addition to the 10% off a lot of high end items like avets and trinidads went...then some stores stopped honoring them. A lot of people also had action pass awards from using their credit cards so i suspect a lot of the lines was people who wanted to redeem there action pass awards...i used a $10 off coupon to get an inexpensive catch and release net for float tubing the sierras. I don't really consider it Sport Chalet anymore...like someone said, its a 3rd party liquidator and they're allowing all the stores to go to crap. At one i went to the bathrooms were closed off to the public...at another...their was no toilet paper on the rolls...just all over the floor and the whole store looked like it was ransacked...kind of sad to see it go to that. They are also shifting merchandise around to stores that get more foot traffic and sales which makes perfect sense and may explain some of those empty aisles with just a 10'percent discount.

shinbob
04-29-2016, 03:21 PM
20% off everything started today. But the line to checkout, even at 2pm on a Friday was incredible. I counted 43 people. Tomorrow will be insane.

The only things that I really needed were Krocodile spoons and flukes, but even at 20% off they weren't that great of a deal and not worth waiting >30 minutes in line for. The Krocs were marked at $8.99, and the flukes were $5.49, so with 20% off they are really just "normally" priced. I walked out of there with nothing.

I think I'll wait until they are at 40% off and pick through the dregs.

bman90278
05-02-2016, 09:56 PM
Unfortunately the Sport Chalet workers stashed the good stuff when word got out.

DarkShadow
05-03-2016, 02:40 PM
Unfortunately the Sport Chalet workers stashed the good stuff when word got out.

And people wonder why they went downill.

Lol.

And, Sports Authority is also going outta business. God bless the free market.

Andrews90
05-03-2016, 08:00 PM
Brea store has everything 20%off went today and picked up a crappie rod by Shakespeare for 20$ super light and 9 ft long I always never liked Shakespeare cause the quality but this one seemed decent also got a killer camping chair with a cooler and table

Frankenfish
05-18-2016, 06:29 PM
You know, if they had this 3rd party liquidator whose running the sale to run their stores from the getgo, they may have never have gone under. The stores look like a 3D Big 5 Newspaper ad...yet when it was only 10-20% off Ive never seen so many people in the stores or lines so long. Funny thing is I also noticed certain products I had my eye on before they announced they were going out of business, have had a price increase, negating whatever % off they have going on. They've also closed all their store bathrooms to their customers at all of the stores...so theyre saving even more on toilet paper, soap, and paper towels. They all feel more like Big 5's without bathrooms more than Sport Chalets anymore...but if you do need to go to see what they have, make sure you go before you go if you know what i mean. Still feel bad for the employees, especially the ones who,have been there for years and who I liked to shoot the sh-- with about fishing whenever I would stop,by to,pick,up,a few things...

tpfishnfool
05-18-2016, 06:36 PM
F em . Rip off . They have sucked for years.