PDA

View Full Version : First Time Fishing Big Bear Lake - 4/2/16

JIGNE67
04-07-2016, 02:38 PM

Hi Everyone, I stumbled on to this forum and I liked what I saw so I joined! Lol

First post, here it goes...

My friend and I took a drive up to Big Bear Lake last Saturday (4/2/16). This would be my first time to Big Bear, and the first either one of us fished the lake.
When we arrived on the North shore of the lake (between Windy Point and the Dam) around 5:30 am, our other friend was already there…. It was dark and very cold.
Soon after we setup and got our lines in the water we started getting bites. It was cool to see so many fish jumping all over the lake as the sun was just rising.
We fished to about 2:30 pm. The three of us all caught four nice trout each. They were all caught on either PowerBait (garlic scent), or on night-crawlers.
Even though it was only 50 degrees in the afternoon, with the bright sun out it felt like 80 degrees. The lake was nice and the scenery up there was beautiful, we’ll definitely be back.

Note: There are no bathrooms and\or Porta-Potty’s up there, so if you’re bringing the wife\GF or kids be prepared.

vonfranko
04-07-2016, 04:50 PM
Nice job and thanks for the report! Love it up there.

jbailey3
04-07-2016, 08:43 PM
Great first post!

Viejo
04-08-2016, 10:08 AM
"Note: There are no bathrooms and\or Porta-Potty’s up there, so if you’re bringing the wife\GF or kids be prepared."

Actually there are quite a few that are available on all sides of the lake. Here's a few....google the locations:
Big Bear Lake Visitors Center (24/7)

Meadows edge picnic areaBig Bear Discovery Center

Boulder Bay Park

Meadow Park, big Bear

Miller Park, Fawnskin

Here is a link to a lake map that shows lakeside facilities, public access and restrooms: http://www.bbmwd.com/lake-map/

These are just a few but there are plenty more.

Glenn
04-08-2016, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the cool report!

JIGNE67
04-08-2016, 12:51 PM
"Note: There are no bathrooms and\or Porta-Potty’s up there, so if you’re bringing the wife\GF or kids be prepared."

Actually there are quite a few that are available on all sides of the lake. Here's a few....google the locations:
Big Bear Lake Visitors Center (24/7)

Meadows edge picnic areaBig Bear Discovery Center

Boulder Bay Park

Meadow Park, big Bear

Miller Park, Fawnskin

Here is a link to a lake map that shows lakeside facilities, public access and restrooms: http://www.bbmwd.com/lake-map/

These are just a few but there are plenty more.

Thanks for the info Viejo. We just didn't see any on the North Shore between the Dam and Windy Point.

JAG107
04-08-2016, 02:05 PM
Great report!
A lot of those jumping fish are carp. Very cool sight, they're always jumping in the early dawn hours.

vonfranko
04-08-2016, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the info Viejo. We just didn't see any on the North Shore between the Dam and Windy Point.

Usually along north shore drive there are a few portable ones starting sometime the spring, during the summer until some point in the fall, but not in the winter. I just don't know the actual dates they put them out and then take them away.