PDA

View Full Version : local pond

sodapop
04-06-2016, 09:11 PM
This year have been busy with work, not have fished at all this year. Did a Channel Island deep sea trip
last week that was okay with family. However it got my 12 year old son back into fishing. We happen to have
a private lake near are backyard. He has been asking to go fishing so took the day off and tried the backyard lake.

Had to use bobber too much algae to use weights and just lures. Used worms but mainly used small jigs and trout worms and magnets.
Had two pound test line with light weight pools.

We caught at least a 100 of a mixed bag of bluegill, redear, and green sunfish, however they were all on the really small size, but
fun catching on light line. But ever once in awhile we did happen to catch a really nice crappie. We caught 5 nice crappie and a few
small bass.

I has a plastic lure all the way cast in, the bobber was at rod tip when something huge grabs my lure and takes off. I have two pound test and a four foot pole.
It is about too spool my line, I have to run up shore to follow it, it runs right towards me, the bobber is in the air, but my son can't see fish to net it.
It then goes on a huge run, my spool is near the end and it stops, I can't move it at all, it stays there for three minutes and then goes on another run
straight towards me, and goes to the top where my son nets it. It turns out to be a nice 7.5 pound catfish.

Again fishing with lures I catch a turtle. Taking the hook out SUCKS! They are really mean and try to bit the S--t out of you. After that more turtles move in.
They have there head out of the water watch where you cast and all swim there. Then they lift there heads up to see where your bobber is at and then
attack your lure. We decided to leave. Crazy how the turtles were attacking are lures.

chatmar
04-07-2016, 06:46 AM
Nice report. Awesome when dad and son have a chance to go fishing and have fun. Do you mind me asking where the pond is licated. I would love to take my 7 year old. Thanks

etucker1959
04-07-2016, 08:08 AM
Nice report thanks for sharing.

ichthus
04-07-2016, 10:46 AM
Looks like a lot of fun! Thanks for the report. I haven't been around turtles much but that is wild how they went after your lures!

Brent
04-07-2016, 11:09 AM
Were they teenage mutant ninja turtles????

Mr T-rex
04-07-2016, 11:48 AM
looks like a nice local pond with a mixed bag fish! Good job

GhettoBasster
04-07-2016, 07:12 PM
Awesome report! Sounds like it was a blast. Keep that place secret even if it's private.

TUNAVIC
04-08-2016, 09:25 AM
Catching over 100 fish will keep any kid happy,funny when I see turtles and cast towards them they usually split,the ones in your lake sure sound aggressive,are they the usual red ear slider type? Or perhaps snapping turtles?

Cya Tuna Vic

sodapop
04-08-2016, 10:51 AM
Catching over 100 fish will keep any kid happy,funny when I see turtles and cast towards them they usually split,the ones in your lake sure sound aggressive,are they the usual red ear slider type? Or perhaps snapping turtles?

Cya Tuna Vic

The turtles were the regular red ear slider type. People feed the turtles a lot, so I think the turtles thought are
lures were food we were giving them.

Glenn
04-08-2016, 12:19 PM
I love those small secret pond reports! Thanks for sharing.

Lightning
04-09-2016, 10:33 AM
That should keep the boy interested. Nice job landing the kitty.