PDA

View Full Version : Flows on Owens? (Laws to Warm Spring)

Apsley
03-24-2016, 03:11 PM
(lurker coming out of the shadows....)

Anybody been down the Owens between Laws and Warm Spring? What's the flow like? A couple of colleagues know that I frequent Bishop so they asked me about this stretch. They are trying to drift/paddle/something that section, and they aren't sure about some bridges or ducts they have to duck underneath. Is the water too high? Too low?

Any information I can give them would be helpful. It's a couple hours up from the desert and I'd hate for them to end up decapitated because I gave them the wrong info.

More on-topic for this forum: Who's going to Sabrina for opening day?

DEVOREFLYER
03-24-2016, 03:50 PM
Flow rates can be found here. http://wsoweb.ladwp.com/Aqueduct/realtime/norealtime.htm

Viejo
03-25-2016, 01:30 PM
[QUOTE=Apsley;777475](lurker coming out of the shadows....)

Anybody been down the Owens between Laws and Warm Spring? What's the flow like? A couple of colleagues know that I frequent Bishop so they asked me about this stretch. They are trying to drift/paddle/something that section, and they aren't sure about some bridges or ducts they have to duck underneath. Is the water too high? Too low?

Any information I can give them would be helpful. It's a couple hours up from the desert and I'd hate for them to end up decapitated because I gave them the wrong info.

Flows are on the way up and could rapidly go well over 200 as they start releasing water from Crowley. Better deal for a float without weirs man made stuff is to go North of Warm Springs Bridge and float back to the car. There are several put ins up stream the guides use and the take out at the bridge is pretty easy depending the weight of your boat. Right now, at 150, there still will be some portaging to do. If they only go upstream about 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile, it should take five to six hours to float and fish. I know there is not metal in this stretch but could be some strainers to keep eyeballs peeled. Frankly, it would take several days to float and fish from Laws down to WS and lots of logs and debris piled up.

Apsley
03-25-2016, 04:27 PM
Thanks a lot, guys! I'll pass this along.