PDA

View Full Version : Rock fishing on the Sum Fun DPH, 3-19

twin22s
03-21-2016, 11:07 AM
Jumped on the 3/4 day boat Sat, we hopped from rock to rock in 240-270ft of water outside of box canyon. Slow but steady pick on decent rockfish, I caught 3 Boccaccio, 7 assorted rockfish and picked a few annoying sand dabs off the line. The shallower spots produced several sculpin for guys fishing buck tails or other lures tipped with cut sardines. No cut squid on the boat but didn't seem to hurt the fishing. 100 fish, boccaccio, sculpin, rockfish mix, for 22 anglers. We never came in to fish the kelp so no news on the bass and sheephead bite. Rumor has it the sheeps are doing well if you bring shrimp though.

I did see s large pod of dolphins feeding with turns working above them on the way back straight off the domes. Probably nothing else with them but got me excited.

Here are the fish as they were being cleaned, yes for those who are counting they had already started cleaning a couple when I took the picture.

http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag192/brian_wilson4/9EA740F1-5244-466E-ACD6-77A990E6309B_zpsvjdnnpwe.jpg (http://s1368.photobucket.com/user/brian_wilson4/media/9EA740F1-5244-466E-ACD6-77A990E6309B_zpsvjdnnpwe.jpg.html)

Fishingdachronarch201E7
03-21-2016, 11:50 AM
Nice haul, Thanks for the report, im headed out on Friday on the Sum Fun....Halibut Derby Drifting day....hope theyre on the chew...

twin22s
03-21-2016, 06:30 PM
Counts have been down, the fish are shallow right now but the sporties don't like fishing there. If you want to get a flat fish your best bet might be to rent a skiff and drift out front of salt creek on the inside of the Kelp line. Or pound sand with an LC like wingnut and the rest of the SWAT crew.

Ifishtoolittle
03-21-2016, 07:55 PM
Tasty stuff right there. No squid?! That's lame. What did you guys use for bait then? Sardines?

twin22s
03-22-2016, 08:54 AM
Tasty stuff right there. No squid?! That's lame. What did you guys use for bait then? Sardines?

Yeah, strips of sardines, bite was still really good, only downside was when you missed a bite you weren't sure your bait was still there. reeling up 250ft just to re-bait is a pain.
The guys fishing jigs were doing well tipping with the strips, a few grumbles at first but when the fish started biting the complaining stopped. I actually saw a pack of squid in the cooler on the way home when I put my cleaned fish away. Maybe the squid hasn't been working so the crew decided to take it off the menu to force us to use the right bait? either way it was a good trip. I probably wont be going out again until the inshore fishing picks up though.

Fishingdachronarch201E7
03-22-2016, 11:37 AM
Good info...thanks

Ifishtoolittle
03-22-2016, 12:21 PM
Yeah, strips of sardines, bite was still really good, only downside was when you missed a bite you weren't sure your bait was still there. reeling up 250ft just to re-bait is a pain.
The guys fishing jigs were doing well tipping with the strips, a few grumbles at first but when the fish started biting the complaining stopped. I actually saw a pack of squid in the cooler on the way home when I put my cleaned fish away. Maybe the squid hasn't been working so the crew decided to take it off the menu to force us to use the right bait? either way it was a good trip. I probably wont be going out again until the inshore fishing picks up though.

Yeah that is a pain. I sometimes bring octopus with me. The tentacles on those things are tough as rubber but fish still bite! Surface species are probably not going to cooperate for another month.

Homefish
03-23-2016, 12:44 PM
Good job man. When we gonna hit the jetty again? I was down there walk'n around during the Whale Fest(or whatever they call it). Looks like they were dredging out the area I fished w/u that 1 night.

pineapple express
04-15-2016, 04:38 PM
mmmmmmmm.... some good eating right there. Mahaloz for sharing

flyhigh123
04-15-2016, 04:49 PM
squid has been real expensive lately... can't even find it in those blue boxes anymore at the asian markets... i guess warm waters is mixing the squid beds up.