PDA

View Full Version : Lake Cachuma tips?

kmagz7
03-15-2016, 01:20 PM
Hi All,

I am in no way an expert at fishing. In fact, I'm still very much a novice BUT, I love to fish! SOO, I plan to head to Lake Cachuma and do some camping & fishing. We usually throw out night crawlers, Wham's, rooster tails and whatever else I feel like throwing out hehe. Last trip, the weather wasn't exactly optimal and we got there so late. I tried throwing out a chrome bomber because I have always had great luck with that lure out in Newport Bay catching everything: bass, bat rays, barracuda, sand sharks, etc and figured, why not?! hehe. We were only able to fish once during that trip in the late afternoon and then BOOM, rain and heavy wings the remainder of our stay.

Anyone versed in what areas would be great to fish, methods or tips? We will canoe out and go from there.

Any advice would be great and appreciated! Thank you for your time.

etucker1959
03-15-2016, 01:55 PM
Hi All,

I am in no way an expert at fishing. In fact, I'm still very much a novice BUT, I love to fish! SOO, I plan to head to Lake Cachuma and do some camping & fishing. We usually throw out night crawlers, Wham's, rooster tails and whatever else I feel like throwing out hehe. Last trip, the weather wasn't exactly optimal and we got there so late. I tried throwing out a chrome bomber because I have always had great luck with that lure out in Newport Bay catching everything: bass, bat rays, barracuda, sand sharks, etc and figured, why not?! hehe. We were only able to fish once during that trip in the late afternoon and then BOOM, rain and heavy wings the remainder of our stay.

Anyone versed in what areas would be great to fish, methods or tips? We will canoe out and go from there.

This time of the year the Crappie fishing can be very good. Two excellent methods of Crappie fishing has been to troll small minnow imitations lure and of course the old reliable mini jigs. It's been awhile since I've been there, so hopefully someone else will chime in with their knowledge.

kmagz7
03-15-2016, 02:19 PM
Thank you for the tip! I'll be sure to bring my selection of mini jigs with me!

reservoir dog
03-15-2016, 02:31 PM
Its' good you will be out on the water vs. fishing from shore. Was there about a month ago and the shore fishing has very limited access unless you're willing to hike down and back up and a cliff. Water level is low just like everywhere else. Good luck out there!

fshnritchey
03-15-2016, 02:42 PM
Hi All,

Make sure you look into the Quagga inspection and amount of quarantine it requires to allow your canoe on the lake. The bass are biting good and dropshotting roboworms in oxblood red flake on 6 lb. floro should produce well for you

kmagz7
03-16-2016, 08:16 AM
Thank you! Like you mentioned, water level is very low BUT, they way I think about it, one way to condense all the fish in a smaller area! HAHA jk.

kmagz7
03-16-2016, 08:22 AM
Make sure you look into the Quagga inspection and amount of quarantine it requires to allow your canoe on the lake. The bass are biting good and dropshotting roboworms in oxblood red flake on 6 lb. floro should produce well for you

Thank you, I will! Unfortunately, original plan of bringing canoe may not go through after all. However, when we went 2 weeks ago, we were still able to rent boats & kayaks so may do that.
Again, I am very much a novice and though I understand drop shot rig... not quite sure how to set up exactly for the lake. Is it hook then weight at the bottom? Does it matter what type of weight and would 1/2 oz be sufficient? After I tie on the hook (using palomar best?), how much line do I allow before I tie on the weight?

fshnritchey
03-16-2016, 01:36 PM
Thank you, I will! Unfortunately, original plan of bringing canoe may not go through after all. However, when we went 2 weeks ago, we were still able to rent boats & kayaks so may do that.
Again, I am very much a novice and though I understand drop shot rig... not quite sure how to set up exactly for the lake. Is it hook then weight at the bottom? Does it matter what type of weight and would 1/2 oz be sufficient? After I tie on the hook (using palomar best?), how much line do I allow before I tie on the weight?

Yes the Palomar is best and leave plenty of tag after the knot is tied. Then take the tag end and put it through the front of the hook after tying knot, this will allow the hook to sit upwards. The weight you want to use should be between 1/8 and 3/8 depending on wind and depth you are fishing. Distance between hook and weight should be between 4-12 inches.

kmagz7
03-16-2016, 03:12 PM
Yes the Palomar is best and leave plenty of tag after the knot is tied. Then take the tag end and put it through the front of the hook after tying knot, this will allow the hook to sit upwards. The weight you want to use should be between 1/8 and 3/8 depending on wind and depth you are fishing. Distance between hook and weight should be between 4-12 inches.

Thank you very much for your detail! Very much appreciate the tip of running the tag end back through the hook to make it sit upwards! Look forward to utilizing your advice and catching fish:)

tpfishnfool
03-16-2016, 08:12 PM
Throw jerk it baits with a small lead head. Green, pumpkin. Deadly. Good luck.

kmagz7
03-17-2016, 11:16 AM
Throw jerk it baits with a small lead head. Green, pumpkin. Deadly. Good luck.

I will give those a try too! Thank you and hope to have some pictures to post for you all:) Have a great day & weekend!