PDA

View Full Version : Laguna Niguel Lake - Free Fishing 3/3

Bwood
03-04-2016, 08:09 AM
3/3 – confirmed, No trout.

Tried switching gears and fishing for bass. Sign have been posted every 8-10', advising that harassing or touching the plants/wildlife is strictly forbidden and a ticket will be issued. The mall cop, I mean park ranger, got all bent out of shape when I moved outside the designated fishing areas. Standing well above the tullies and not stepping, bending, touching any native plants.

Told me to get back into the designed areas or I could get a ticket. BULLSHIT Just when I was thinking that the Free bass season will be fun. Should be great bassing along the West, mud shoreline.

Did catch (2) small ones on a drop shot.

seal
03-04-2016, 08:54 AM
Well you mean they have rules to protect the vegetation? Then they called you out because you were not following the rules? How dare they!

I'm sure they had to put this in place because of individuals plowing thru the vegetation to get to that bass bed. Thankfully Laguna Niguel cares enough to patrol and ensure some anglers don't screw up and loose all rights to the lake.

Bwood
03-04-2016, 09:16 AM
Well you mean they have rules to protect the vegetation? Then they called you out because you were not following the rules? How dare they!

I'm sure they had to put this in place because of individuals plowing thru the vegetation to get to that bass bed. Thankfully Laguna Niguel cares enough to patrol and ensure some anglers don't screw up and loose all rights to the lake.

If the sign said, “no fishing” then I would be breaking the rules, the sign said something to the effect that destroying, tampering with, cutting, removing is against the county ordinance, which is understandable. I agree that we need to protect the park/lake. Somehow this has been translated to “no fishing” no standing on the bank. Which is not right in my opinion. We should tread lightly.

etucker1959
03-04-2016, 10:17 AM
Let me add to this!!!! I too was frustrated with the lake's lack of fishable shoreline. They are putting in quite a bit of fish (trout) with a horrible return (catch rate) of fish actually being caught. The fish are going some where and I do believe would bite if presented with an offering. After the third trip of going there after they just stocked 2000 lbs of fish and seeing an average of 4 fish caught I decided to some exploring. I walked around the whole lake looking for new spots. In the last 3 years I've fished that lake over 25 times in a boat with excellent results. (So I know WHERE the fish like to hang out) There is an area they call 3 pipes on the East side of the lake, we always make that our second stop of the day. We would cast at the shoreline from the boat and have excellent results. So I hiked my fat butt over there looking for a spot I could cast through the trees. I found a couple of spots that might have worked, but it would have been a little tricky. (steep bank) I then noticed the NO FISHING SIGNS on the East side of the lake. Folks I don't blame them for putting them up!!!!!! It was flat out dangerous for the average fishermen to attempt to fish that whole side of the lake!!!! After seeing what happened at Irvine lake and their drowning's, CAN YOU BLAME THEM FOR BEING CAUTIOUS!!!!!!! I'm sure the same logic goes into place on the North West side of the lake going toward the Dam. They may say it's to protect the vegetation, but in reality it's to protect those DUMB *** fishermen from drowning!!!!!! lol

seal
03-04-2016, 12:23 PM
If the sign said, “no fishing” then I would be breaking the rules, the sign said something to the effect that destroying, tampering with, cutting, removing is against the county ordinance, which is understandable. I agree that we need to protect the park/lake. Somehow this has been translated to “no fishing” no standing on the bank. Which is not right in my opinion. We should tread lightly.

Understood, good response. Haven't been there in a couple years but I remember fishing there more than 40 years ago catching little bass. Don't know the reasons for the signs but sometimes we fisherman cause our own destiny, don't know if that's the case here.