PDA

View Full Version : 2/27 fishing for trout or bass

clos_fish05
02-23-2016, 03:02 PM
Heading out to big bear with the family this weekend and since i had my fishing gear ready from fishing in the OC id figure i give big bear a try. Never fished out here and was wondering if any one would help with some tips on baid, species to target and maybe a spot to go. I really like fishing for bass and maybe someone can help with a small stream or rive that runs up there with good bass? Thanks in advance for any help, remember tight lines.

vonfranko
02-24-2016, 11:04 AM
Spots can vary depending on time of year and temperature. Fishing spots for trout tend to be along north shore drive or by the dam. Try to avoid shoreline that doesn't have much of a drop. Some spots stay shallow a ways out. I've always had luck where it looks like it drops in depth fairly quickly. When its colder they can also be on the other side of the lake around stanfield cutoff. I feel like the weather has been getting warm faster than usual so I'm not sure where they are at right now. Typically this time of year they are closer to stanfield.

Best baits as the usual for trout. Your favorite powerbait colors (mine tend to be rainbow and chartruese), and 1/2 nightcrawler inflated. Leader length can vary but I tend to find a leader around 2 feet is best. Jigs and lures can work well around the dam some days. It gets deep fast at the dam so fishing off the bottom doesn't always work well.

As for bass, I've caught some on the inflated crawlers but I've never specifically targeted them so I don't have much advice there.

dhntr48
02-24-2016, 11:05 AM
Hi I'm Dale . I would go with 4 pound test Green or clear and maybe a 2 pound test leader if you cant get bit on the 4 pound . Use a sliding egg sinker with a 16 inch leader . Power bait , inflated worms . eggs and a marshmallow to float it , with the power bait use the rainbow its got 3 colors and you can use just one color if its the hot color . The bite should be better in the after noon due to cold water . Bass should be better in june and thru summer months . Dress very warm . Lures can work and you can cast while you soak the bait , I would fish the north shore ( more access ) and parking . Bring a adventure pass .

CityAngler
02-24-2016, 11:15 AM
I had good luck this winter on the North side of the lake near the dam. Maybe a 1/4 mile from from the dam.

Trout liked garlic pb and nightcrawlers. They were pretty close to shore in December.

sovietsky19
02-25-2016, 03:39 PM
I had good luck this winter on the North side of the lake near the dam. Maybe a 1/4 mile from from the dam.

Trout liked garlic pb and nightcrawlers. They were pretty close to shore in December.

Can you guys tell me what time the bite is at currently? like 7-10am, or 12pm-5pm? Thanks!

CityAngler
02-25-2016, 04:48 PM
7 to 10am is when I scored the most fish in early and mid December. However I don't think the afternoon would be bad either.

sovietsky19
02-25-2016, 05:13 PM
7 to 10am is when I scored the most fish in early and mid December. However I don't think the afternoon would be bad either.

Thank you! :Thumbs Up:

twin22s
02-26-2016, 02:18 PM
stick to the trout unless you have a boat with a FF, tons of patience, and would be happy to catch just one bass... I was there last weekend fishing from shore and didn't bring any trout gear, didn't get a bite and felt kinda stupid even trying for bass toward the end of the trip...

CityAngler
02-29-2016, 08:50 AM
Did you catch any trout OP?

gzank6
03-22-2016, 06:05 PM
Did you catch any trout OP?

second request. i'm going up this weekend.

billy b
03-23-2016, 09:02 AM
dhntr48 said "bring a(n) adventure pass" Is that necessary now a days ?

Viejo
03-23-2016, 09:08 AM
Call the Big Bear Discovery center and get the straight info from the Forest Service. Been some changes I think

seal
03-23-2016, 09:12 AM

Adventure passes are not necessary when parking along the shoreline unless you are parking in a parking/picnic type area. Yes there are several areas that have amenities such as picnic tables, parking lots, restrooms etc... where they are required and those areas are well marked stating that an adventure pass is required.

seal
03-23-2016, 09:14 AM
Call the Big Bear Discovery center and get the straight info from the Forest Service. Been some changes I think

Hmmm changes? I've been there fairly recently and did not notice any signage indicating a change.

Viejo
03-23-2016, 10:17 AM
Adventure passes are not necessary when parking along the shoreline unless you are parking in a parking/picnic type area. Yes there are several areas that have amenities such as picnic tables, parking lots, restrooms etc... where they are required and those areas are well marked stating that an adventure pass is required.

Those are the changes......Used to be required pretty much everywhere. Frankly, there is little enforcement due to lack of staffing and a huge area to cover.

Cameron
03-23-2016, 05:22 PM
Those are the changes......Used to be required pretty much everywhere. Frankly, there is little enforcement due to lack of staffing and a huge area to cover.

Dont chance the ticket and know the rules...... From Boulder Bay bridge to the dam you must have a Adventure Pass. Sure most folks dont use them but I would rather just buy the pass.... The DFG is ALWAYS showing up at BBL.

seal
03-24-2016, 09:04 AM
The North Shore they are not required and you will not be ticketed. I had not heard about this rule from Boulder Bay South side to the dam and that actually probably could be fought. From what I understand the standard now is that there must be amenities such as I described (bath room, picnic tables etc..) for them to require a pass. In the Boulder Bay parking area there are amenities and they are required there. Also to the best of my recollection I don't believe there is signage in that area beyond Boulder Bay parking lot to the dam indicating the need for a pass.

But normally I fish the North Shore areas so don't listen to me call the Discovery center I could be wrong.

5shot
03-24-2016, 07:27 PM
The Boulder Bay parking lot is a city park, no adventure pass required. Most of the land around the lake is owned by the water district, no adventure pass required. The only areas that would required an adventure pass are Natl Forest areas like the Grout Bay picnic area, and the north shore campground and picnic areas.

billy b
03-25-2016, 09:21 AM
Thanks MUCH for the poop Gents !

Cameron
03-25-2016, 06:11 PM
I love how quick you all are to discredit my advice and knowledge but offer nothing but wind to support your argument. Do what ya want and believe who ya want, me I believe this map of the NF and the ranger I asked while I was living there and fishing the lake on the daily, but what the hell do I know..... The reason why is because of the Trail Head to Castle Rock, feel free and I suggest you call the Discovery Center to confirm what I am saying.
Section 22 on the map.....and I said from the BRIDGE to the DAM, never said anything about the new park.....
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5404163.pdf
WOW they have opened up a bunch of areas since I last had a pass. Heres a link I found that may help I would still call to be sure.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/r5/home/?cid=stelprdb5404142&width=full#acnf

5shot
03-25-2016, 09:27 PM
The lake is privately owned by the Big Bear Municipal Water District. Most of the land around it is either owned by the water district, private residences, Natl. Forest, or the city. I own a condo at Boulder Bay and spend about 6-7 months of the year there. I have never heard of a "Boulder Bay Bridge". The only thing I can think of that might be considered a bridge is where the road goes over Boulder Creek on the west side of the bay. The shore around Boulder Bay is all private land except Boulder Bay Park, which is owned by the city.
The next bay going towards the dam is Papoose Bay, whose shoreline is owned by the Papoose Bay Homeowners Assoc.
Between there and the dam are some Natl Forest lease cabins and a summer camp. They are on Natl Forest land, but the general public has no access to them since they have lease owners. The dam is owned by the water district, as is all land covered by water, or previously (pre-drought) covered by water.
The Natl Forest land that does have lake access is on the north shore at Grout Bay, and the campground/picnic area at the east end of the northshore, west of Stanfield Cutoff.

Cameron
03-26-2016, 02:39 PM
The lake is privately owned by the Big Bear Municipal Water District. Most of the land around it is either owned by the water district, private residences, Natl. Forest, or the city. I own a condo at Boulder Bay and spend about 6-7 months of the year there. I have never heard of a "Boulder Bay Bridge". The only thing I can think of that might be considered a bridge is where the road goes over Boulder Creek on the west side of the bay. The shore around Boulder Bay is all private land except Boulder Bay Park, which is owned by the city.
The next bay going towards the dam is Papoose Bay, whose shoreline is owned by the Papoose Bay Homeowners Assoc.
Between there and the dam are some Natl Forest lease cabins and a summer camp. They are on Natl Forest land, but the general public has no access to them since they have lease owners. The dam is owned by the water district, as is all land covered by water, or previously (pre-drought) covered by water.
The Natl Forest land that does have lake access is on the north shore at Grout Bay, and the campground/picnic area at the east end of the northshore, west of Stanfield Cutoff.

Yes the road over boulder creek..... I get the feeling I was passing on bad information I got few years back was solid poo poo. Got me to buy a pass tho,lol. The second link I posted show plainly that it is FREE now or always has been. The map shows that from Boulder Creek to the south side of the damn is NF land but is free to use.
I sure miss it up there and cant wait to get back.

5shot
03-26-2016, 04:43 PM
Yea, the Adventure Pass is a sore subject with a lot of us. The U.S.F.S. has been taken to court several times over it, and lost most times. Now they claim that as long as there is a "improvement" like picnic benches, bathrooms, staging areas, etc., they can require a Adventure Pass. What's really weird is the turnouts on the way to Big Bear are posted "Adventure Pass Required when Snow Present", as if the snow was installed and maintained by the forest service.

CHUCKY
03-26-2016, 06:46 PM
Drove around the lake today and most of the areas that I had seen were locked. Everyone was parking on the road.