PDA

View Full Version : Nice day for a troll 2.21.16

JAG107
02-22-2016, 04:08 PM
Took the fam out for a nice day on the water Sunday. Wind was calm and the lake was like glass most of the morning. I didn't get launched until about 830, because its hard to get everyone up so early for a 80 mile drive. Anyway, we got hooked up right away in Miller on a nice schoolie that was bigger than the usual ones we get. My daughter had a blast reeling it in. We went back and forth for a while, metering tons of fish in spots but nothing else would bite. Even toplined a kastmaster for a couple hours in hopes of a trout. We packed it up around noon with just the one for tacos, water temp is still 48 and the level is definitely on the drop. Saw more islands this time than my last outing (has it really been 3 months? Man I gotta get out there more often). At least something bit, but it sure would be nice to find a more consistent bite. My tried and true zoom flukes came up blank but the new gulp minnows I tried got the only action for the day. Must be the 18x bite enhancer or whatever they claim on the pouch. I'll try to get back out a couple more times before my poppy pass expires, then maybe I''ll switch back to Skinner. I don't want to deal with going back and forth due to the tags and mussels.
I seem to get bit better in warmer weather up at the Wood, even though I tried running deeper than usual my one fish came at 15' which is about where I get them when the waters in the 60's or 70's.
Well that's about all I have, get out there and enjoy the nice weather and lack of lake lice. Thanks for reading.

seal
02-22-2016, 05:19 PM
I like the Gulp minnows curly tail in white, they are killer on a darterhead, only problem is the drying out deal but worth it. Out on Mead it's a staple for my buddy. Glad to hear a striper was caught!

JAG107
02-22-2016, 05:27 PM
I use em on a scrounger head, those seem to really make a difference. I will look into the darters. Thanks Seal!