PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Help!

Gobigal
02-21-2016, 03:11 PM
To all Silverwood "regulars":

A little off the subject.

I was out there January 29th fishing LMB in the main channel when the "cranking" battery in my boat died and my motor would not turn over. Guess I left the console light on overnight and it ate-up the charge. Did not have my tools to cross the trolling motor battery which was fully charged (lesson learned). Anyway, made my way back to the launch ramp using my trolling motor and was able to wade into the water and get my boat onto the trailer for my trip home. Unfortunately, I believe my cell phone slipped out of my sweatshirt front pocket and went into the lake. It happened on the far end of the dock (left side looking toward lake, closest to the marina). Must be in about 6-8 feet of water. Lost all photo's and videos of family and friends, but the most important was a video of my mother sitting in her wheelchair talking up a storm which she rarely did because of her Alzheimer's, one week before she passed. I really don't care about the value of the phone but the SD card in the phone, just hoping I can get back. Thought about diving under water to look for it but the water temp was 48 degrees!!! Talked to the marina staff and there was nothing they could do other than to call me if someone happens turns it in. I was hoping of all hopes that they occasionally "dredge" the ramp, or if divers check the docks for regular maintenance.

If anybody has info on someone I can contact who could possibly check the ramp/dock for my lost phone, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Big Al

flyhigh123
02-21-2016, 03:48 PM
Take a glass container and put it against the water where you dropped it and it becomes like a viewfinder. You should be able to see it by doing that. It could be like glass cookware. Once you see it, a quick dip and you got your phone back.

At the worst ask a scuba diver to take a look.

Gobigal
02-21-2016, 09:23 PM
Never thought of using that method. I did everything I could do to survey the area and look underwater but since the phone is black, it was hopeless. Was hoping to make a trip out there this coming week to see what I can do. Hopefully, the water temp has gone up after 3+weeks of warm weather. If I can locate a scuba diver, or maybe someone who can loan me a wetsuit..........a reward will be in order.

Thanks again,

Big Al

seal
02-22-2016, 07:47 AM
Due to work on the aqueduct the water level is supposed to be dropping very low, at least that's what I've heard. As of yesterday it was coming down pretty quick. Should be exposed possibly by the end of the week if not earlier.

hookdfisherman
02-22-2016, 08:08 AM
Good luck finding it. I mean it sincerely too! :Smile:

For next trip, put it in a sealed baggie. Don't squeeze out all the air so it floats. Experiment with air bladder control for the correct buoyancy. Might do the trick... you never know.

Gobigal
02-22-2016, 01:52 PM
seal / hookdfisherman,

Thanks for your suggestions.

I contacted the marina and they confirmed the water level has dropped and will continue dropping for the foreseeable future. That's good news for me but not so much for my fellow fisherman.

You know what, I've been fishing for years with my cell phone and never came close to losing it. I always kept it in boat console and always put it back whenever I checked the time or msgs. Unfortunately, after my battery died and on my way back to the marina using the trolling motor, I called the Bass Pro Shops service dept to inquire on any ideas on how I can get the motor started again. I was sitting in the front of my boat with my foot on the pedal of trolling motor. After I hung up and instead of jumping to the console, I just tucked it into the front pocket of my pullover. Bad idea in hindsight.

I'm making a run to Silverwood Thursday or Friday in hopes I find the phone.

Again, thanks!

seal
02-22-2016, 05:21 PM
Came down considerably today since yesterday. Good luck!

DEVOREFLYER
02-22-2016, 05:36 PM
Gobigal invest in a set of jumper cables to carry in your boat. With two or more batteries in your boat making a jump to the main battery is easy no tools required. I carry a set of jumpers and a tool set for the same reason I carry a fire extinguisher--just in case.

BassinPLS
02-23-2016, 06:35 AM
Gobigal invest in a set of jumper cables to carry in your boat. With two or more batteries in your boat making a jump to the main battery is easy no tools required. I carry a set of jumpers and a tool set for the same reason I carry a fire extinguisher--just in case.

Good Recommendations!

seal
02-23-2016, 08:27 AM
Or there's always this for a jump.

http://www.basspro.com/NOCO-Genius-Boost-GB40-Jump-Start-Power-Pack/product/1505271438/?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT_MTv2

Gobigal
02-26-2016, 10:39 PM
Latest update:

Went to Silverwood yesterday (Thurs) hoping to find the remains of my lost phone and try my luck fishing for lmb. Well, surprise, surprise, I found the phone laying there in full view just under the dock high and dry. The lake level has dropped about 8 ft since I was there last. Unfortunately, it was totally destroyed. Looks like it was run over and over again. The good news is I salvaged the most important part.......yes......the SD card. Got all my pics back and most important, the videos of my mother a week before she passed. Halleluja!

On the fishing front, managed to catch a nice 4 lb bass on a Roboworm off a main channel point but that was it for the day. Had three other "tick, tick" hits, yanked and nada. They were hitting very lightly. Water temp was 48 deg in the am, warming to 52-53 in the afternoon. First time in a long while I confronted no wind at the 'wood. The lake was "glass" when I left at 3:00.

I would call my day......mission accomplished.

Thanks again to everyone for all the sage advice.

Big Al

BassinPLS
02-27-2016, 06:54 AM
Gobigal,

Really lucky finding your phone and retrieving the SD Card. I had heard the water level was dropping quickly at Silverwood. Apparently they are working on the canal due to a break upstream from Silverwood. They must still be letting some water out to Perris, as a drop that quick wouldn't be the result of just evaporation or percolation.

basstard2013
02-27-2016, 07:53 AM
I'm glad you got that SD card Big Al. That's some great news.