PDA

View Full Version : A Little Rain Never Hurt Nobody 2/18/16

OG MUDBONE
02-20-2016, 06:51 AM
Short report - It rained. The lmb fishing is excellent. Fishing is fun.

Detailed report - I was up at midnight the night before and it was lightly raining, checked the forecast and it said the storm would push through by mid morning and remain cloudy the rest of the day... sounded perfect to me.

It was my first trip of the season on any lake, and it was a fun one. Went solo, one other rental out so I had the entire lake to myself. First spot stuck my first fish of the season, a nice healthy lmb in the rain. Was really stoked... something about catching fish in the rain that makes me feel all types of good inside. Spent the majority of the early morning tinkering around with new gear, swapping spools, testing out different lures and weights, etc. Meanwhile, the truck showed up around 730am at the road near the east dam and stocked trout. So for any of those who were questioning whether it really happened, I can confirm they most certainly did stock trout.

Worked my way west fishing main lake points and coves on the north side where there was a ton of dingy water from the rain, you can see some of it in one of the pics. Lmb fishing was solid in these areas, was able to find bass up shallow in 20ft or less just about everywhere I searched. The further west I went the cleaner the water got and in the areas with clean water I saw a ton of bass cruising the shallows. A lot of them in pairs and a lot of singles probably looking for food, and/or a partner to dance with. Majority of them 1-3lbs.

Fished swimbaits and reaction baits including topwater early in the morning with nothing to show for except a couple followers. Definitely thought with the weather there might be a nice blade bite, but that never transpired, for me anyway. There was however an awesome soft plastics bite throughout the entire day. Weightless, t-rig, c-rig, neko, you name it... the bass are HUNGRY right now. They seemed to be hugging the bottom tight all morning until the sun popped out late afternoon, found plenty suspended above chunk rock on points and along the shoreline of channels being hit by the sun. Ended up with well over 20, nothing big mostly cookie cutter 1.5-2lb fish. Lost a freakin toad on the fb jig she spit it on the initial jump, tried my best to keep her from jumping but I was at her mercy. Had that scene replaying in my mind on loop for much of the day. But all in all had an absolute blast just being on the water after not fishing in almost 2 1/2 months, the catching was a total bonus. It will only get better from here...

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b321/marCKus/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsqsqkvg3u.jpg (http://s22.photobucket.com/user/marCKus/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsqsqkvg3u.jpg.html)

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b321/marCKus/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps411tfcza.jpg (http://s22.photobucket.com/user/marCKus/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps411tfcza.jpg.html)

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b321/marCKus/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps5jkpfhps.jpg (http://s22.photobucket.com/user/marCKus/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps5jkpfhps.jpg.html)

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b321/marCKus/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsbzygoqi4.jpg (http://s22.photobucket.com/user/marCKus/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsbzygoqi4.jpg.html)

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b321/marCKus/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpss2hddxgy.jpg (http://s22.photobucket.com/user/marCKus/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpss2hddxgy.jpg.html)

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b321/marCKus/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsz71krnie.jpg (http://s22.photobucket.com/user/marCKus/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsz71krnie.jpg.html)

TUNAVIC
02-20-2016, 07:21 AM
Nice trip indeed,reminds me of some of the trips we've enjoyed there,thanks for that!

Cya Tuna Vic

OG MUDBONE
02-20-2016, 07:45 AM
Nice trip indeed,reminds me of some of the trips we've enjoyed there,thanks for that!

Cya Tuna Vic

No problem buddy, hope you enjoyed it as much as I do!

Ian
02-20-2016, 08:32 AM
Excellent reporting!

How much was that rental? and any sign of the stripers on that trout plant?

OG MUDBONE
02-20-2016, 08:49 AM
Excellent reporting!

How much was that rental? and any sign of the stripers on that trout plant?

Thanks man. I was at one of the middle islands when they stocked and I didn't bring a true sb rod so I didn't even bother heading back towards the marina, so I can't comment. Pricing on rentals can be found here http://dvmarina.com/hours_rates_fees/boat_rental_fees.php

OG MUDBONE
02-20-2016, 08:52 AM
As a side note - what's with all the nonsense on the board as of late, did I miss something? Someone was encouraged to delete their fishing report... on a fishing forum, huh? A disinformation campaign was suggested? Really?? It's attitudes from people like these that cause anglers to be reluctant to report their experiences, and is one of the main reasons the DVL section has become a shell of what it once was. It has nothing to do with the lake itself, the low water levels, and certainly not the fishing because it has remained great.

"Who cares if 5 times the amount of people are gonna be fishing in your spot." Where exactly is "your" spot? Please lead me to the spot that has your name on it. Last I checked DVL is a public fishing lake, open to any and all who are licensed and permitted. What makes one feel so entitled that they feel a particular spot is theirs? Because they have fished DVL for X amount of years and do well at a certain spot, therefore it's theirs? Get real.

Yes the spawn is coming, so what? All that means is you will have a greater shot at catching them all over the entire lake. With no pb'ers even if all the working rentals are out on the water you will STILL have much of the lake to yourself. If someone's in "your" spot... go to another one of "your" spots until the other is free. Really not that big a deal, DVL is still plenty big enough to share.

It's bad enough for the pb'ers that they can't fish from their own boats. It's even worse for us anglers as whole that the lake is only open 5 days a week now. If unreasonable self-absorbed people continue to keep trying to drive anglers away from DVL do you see where the trend could be heading? Would it really be worth losing out on such an amazing lake?

Those who have fished here often know that it is a privilege. It truly was, and still is a jewel. Why not treat it like one so it can continue to be so? Encourage others to come and enjoy the exact same things you come here for. My pops always told me that as an angler I have an obligation to introduce and share this wonderful passion with any and all who are willing, and I stand by that. Even if that means a couple more people on "my" lake. Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, and that's completely fine too. Just remember why you fell in love with the sport in the first place, and maybe that will help put things into perspective.

etucker1959
02-20-2016, 09:31 AM
As a side note - what's with all the nonsense on the board as of late, did I miss something? Someone was encouraged to delete their fishing report... on a fishing forum, huh? A disinformation campaign was suggested? Really?? It's attitudes from people like these that cause anglers to be reluctant to report their experiences, and is one of the main reasons the DVL section has become a shell of what it once was. It has nothing to do with the lake itself, the low water levels, and certainly not the fishing because it has remained great.

"Who cares if 5 times the amount of people are gonna be fishing in your spot." Where exactly is "your" spot? Please lead me to the spot that has your name on it. Last I checked DVL is a public fishing lake, open to any and all who are licensed and permitted. What makes one feel so entitled that they feel a particular spot is theirs? Because they have fished DVL for X amount of years and do well at a certain spot, therefore it's theirs? Get real.

Yes the spawn is coming, so what? All that means is you will have a greater shot at catching them all over the entire lake. With no pb'ers even if all the working rentals are out on the water you will STILL have much of the lake to yourself. If someone's in "your" spot... go to another one of "your" spots until the other is free. Really not that big a deal, DVL is still plenty big enough to share.

It's bad enough for the pb'ers that they can't fish from their own boats. It's even worse for us anglers as whole that the lake is only open 5 days a week now. If unreasonable self-absorbed people continue to keep trying to drive anglers away from DVL do you see where the trend could be heading? Would it really be worth losing out on such an amazing lake?

Those who have fished here often know that it is a privilege. It truly was, and still is a jewel. Why not treat it like one so it can continue to be so? Encourage others to come and enjoy the exact same things you come here for. My pops always told me that as an angler I have an obligation to introduce and share this wonderful passion with any and all who are willing, and I stand by that. Even if that means a couple more people on "my" lake. Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, and that's completely fine too. Just remember why you fell in love with the sport in the first place, and maybe that will help put things into perspective.
Thank you very much for sharing your attitude about people bagging on fishing information on a fishing website. I've been fighting that battle for years, I had a FEAR a few years back that the paranoid people on here were going to KILL this website. People are now more outwardly fighting back against the PARANOIDS on here. My suggestion to the PARANOIDS, "if it kills you to read about your favorite lake on a fishing website." DON'T READ THE WEBSITE!!!!!

ddoskocil
02-22-2016, 09:38 AM
Great February day!
I agree, this used to be a great website to SHARE info, hopefully it we be again. Hopefully DVL will become great again too. I cant wait for it to start filling back up, and the launch ramp opens again!

Indo-angler
02-22-2016, 06:27 PM
Great report!

Thanks so much!

I love DVL!

Vision246
02-23-2016, 07:46 PM
OG MUDBONE has shared great info and I appreciate that there are still anglers who like to help and share this wonderful sport to many of those kids and adults who are getting into the sport and will be Hooked for a lifetime. Cheers to you my friend and God bless .

GoBlue
02-25-2016, 09:26 AM
Awesome report, as always... but not as awesome as the tools you used to destroy dem fish.
love how that destroyer/viola is73 combo is worth more than my car, haha.

Stormcrow
02-25-2016, 01:24 PM
Stay off my spots!!!!!!!!

LOL

Way to go man! I miss my lake.

WATER PLEASE!!!!

Fishingdachronarch201E7
02-25-2016, 03:02 PM
Great report and well said! Hopefully one day i get to fish it!

Tony G

OG MUDBONE
03-03-2016, 11:21 PM
Thank you very much for sharing your attitude about people bagging on fishing information on a fishing website. I've been fighting that battle for years, I had a FEAR a few years back that the paranoid people on here were going to KILL this website. People are now more outwardly fighting back against the PARANOIDS on here. My suggestion to the PARANOIDS, "if it kills you to read about your favorite lake on a fishing website." DON'T READ THE WEBSITE!!!!!

Great February day!
I agree, this used to be a great website to SHARE info, hopefully it we be again. Hopefully DVL will become great again too. I cant wait for it to start filling back up, and the launch ramp opens again!

Great report!

Thanks so much!

I love DVL!

OG MUDBONE has shared great info and I appreciate that there are still anglers who like to help and share this wonderful sport to many of those kids and adults who are getting into the sport and will be Hooked for a lifetime. Cheers to you my friend and God bless .

Let's all continue to help keep this forum alive. DVL has been one of the toughest lakes for me to familiarize with and I owe so much to this forum and to the some of the wonderful people who have contributed over the past decade, because without them I would have probably given up on her a long time ago. The only way I can give thanks is to try my best to contribute as well, without fear of backlash.

OG MUDBONE
03-03-2016, 11:30 PM
Awesome report, as always... but not as awesome as the tools you used to destroy dem fish.
love how that destroyer/viola is73 combo is worth more than my car, haha.

Man it's a terrible addiction and I wouldn't wish it on anybody... ok maybe just a little haha. Simply because I get a lot more joy out of fishing gear that I truly love to use. Might not catch more fish but sure is pretty to look at when fishing is slow :LOL:

OG MUDBONE
03-03-2016, 11:35 PM
Stay off my spots!!!!!!!!

LOL

Way to go man! I miss my lake.

WATER PLEASE!!!!

I promise you I've checked every spot thoroughly and haven't seen your name yet lol. Ehh, hate to be the bad bearer of news but the lake has dropped another 6ft :( we're gonna need a miracle...