PDA

View Full Version : Laguna Niguel 2/8/16

titos334
02-19-2016, 01:29 PM
Went to Laguna Niguel yesterday to try for some largemouth. I haven't really done a lot of freshwater bass fishing since Mission went south and stayed away from LNL cause of price. With OC Parks taking over it's a lot more accessible, hell the lady at the gate even waved me in and saved me $3! If you want to do some walking there's free parking off La Paz and a tunnel that brings you in by the dam.

Anyways, 2 of my friends have been recently and caught bass. I had gone a month before and hooked one that got away. I was looking for redemption and join my friends in getting them. I had the day off and started right after they opened at 7am.

I started with a texas rigged creature bait pitching in the creek. It always looks so inviting, but ive yet to get a bite back there. Switched to a KVD 1.5 square bill and used it to work back down towards the old concession stand. It had rained overnight and rained on and off through the morning so I had to pick which muddy spot to stand on. Sliding into the water was a definite possibility. I worked the flats outside the creek for nothing.

I worked down to the bend by the old launch ramp. The water is a little deeper in this part. I couldn't make bottom contact so wasn't so sure if anything would happen. I made a cast out past the one tree there and as I brought it right up to the bank I got one at my feet. I didn't feel the bite so much as see the bass struggling in the muddy water and knew it was on. I was pretty stoked to get one, it was a fat little guy.

The next section was super muddy and just not worth it and the area adjacent to the stand were taken so I skipped a ways down. The Rangers cleared a bunch of tules around a point between the concession stand and the dam making for a nice fishing spot. I worked the area with the same crank for nothing. I switched to a texas rig worm and got bit fairly quickly. It was a nice bite but i was totally taken by surprise and screwed it up royally. I don't think I've caught a bass on a worm in 2 years. I lost the rig a little bit later on a submerged branch, oh well.

I switched back to a square bill in a brighter color because the rain had stopped and it was partly sunny. As fate would have it my rod snapped on a cast and put an abrupt end to my day. I got close to 4 hours of fishing in and got a fish to join the club. I really think LNL has the potential to be pretty good again, I don't think the die-off was as bad as it sounded. Pretty excited to see what it looks like in a couple weeks.

Fishingdachronarch201E7
02-19-2016, 03:22 PM
Great report! and way to Grind! I was there on Wednesday for the end of the day, got in at 5 and Ranger kicked us out at 6pm only got an hour in...got the skunk...i was throwing a BBZ rat and then switched to nightcrawlers for nothing....it rained on us.....sucked lol

again good stuff bro...good job!

Tony G