PDA

View Full Version : Drifting on the Lower Owen's - question

Kunihiro
02-19-2016, 11:37 AM
I have a question regarding drifting on the Lower Owens, if anyone out there does this. I have a 17' drift boat and would like to take it out on the Lower Owens. For those of you who use boats on this part of the river, I am curious how you work the tail end of your drift and how you are able to get your tow vehicle and trailer to the pick up point. I realize the easiest is to use two vehicles, ie: leave one car at the pick up point and drive the tow vehicle and trailer to the starting point, etc. But are there any shuttle services that will transport your tow vehicle and trailer to the pick up point on the river?

Thanks for reading.

Allen

DEVOREFLYER
02-19-2016, 12:12 PM
Allen I have done it many times. Pick your launch and retrieve point and get a mountain bike and leave it where you plan on ending your drift. Ride the bike back to retrieve your vehicle. Easy peezy.....

Viejo
02-19-2016, 04:28 PM
There are no shuttle services other then the shank's mare described in the previous post. The Owens is running pretty low right now and depending on how much you draw, you'll be dragging over the rocky shoals quite a bit. Picking your in point can be a challenge depending on what part of the river you choose because of the willows and the fact that much of the river is now fenced off from vehicle access by DWP. I would suggest you look at from Line Street down to Warm Springs RD. There is a parallel road right along the river and very little reeds where the trees have taken hold. There are no weirs or pipe sections between those two. Many of the Guide services drift along here. Bring your shortest oars as the big sweepers will get you hung up. Post pictures when you get back.

Kunihiro
02-19-2016, 09:14 PM
Thank you both for responding.

Well, looks like I'm going to have to get 2 shorter oars. I only have 9' oars. I do appreciate your responses, however. I am scheduled to hit the Lower Sac and/or the Trinity, up in Redding in a few weeks.

Allen

Viejo
02-20-2016, 08:41 AM
Just thought that maybe you might Google Earth that section of river to be sure about the weirs or pipes. I have only floated short sections (which took five to seven hours because of he Oxbows.) It will not give you up to date info like shoals but will have permanent obstruction to watercraft.

DEVOREFLYER
02-20-2016, 09:35 AM
I might add take a pair of rubber boots in case you have to get out and push off a sandbar or shoal with the flow around 100cfs or less.

parkermann2
02-20-2016, 06:31 PM
Go well below bishop. We floated it in December below pleasant valley and the flow was super low. We had to get out of our canoe and walk it through the shallow spots well over 50 times. Below timemaha reservior the flow is really good and the river is a lot deeper. We were duck hunting not fishing but we did see a good amount of trout.

dhntr48
02-23-2016, 01:32 PM
Hi I'm Dale I do this, but I have to hand launch a 8 foot 85 pound fiber glass drift boat ,or a 12 foot inflatable . I did purchase a pontoon boat for the owens also as it is very portable . I've been drifting from above collins road to Collins and down 1 mile on many drifts . a lot of other areas also . But doing it in a boat that size , could be hard . I'm not sure what the Sierra drifters do up by Bishop . there is a spot that if I had a boat that size , 1/2 mile below Tinemaha Dam could put in but getting out could be hard . Its a great put in but it would be hard to get my hand launch boats out down below at Aberdeen road . PM me I will send some pictures . Locals told me that there are big 5 to 6 pound browns in the stretch at Tinemaha