PDA

View Full Version : Golf Course About to be Drained...Fish Relocation?

carpanglerdude
02-02-2016, 07:37 AM
Hesitated posting this here, but have emailed local City Hall and DFG without any response.

In short, the Empire Lakes Golf Course has been sold, and the ponds will be removed with plans for commercial and housing instead. This course holds 4 large ponds, and, according to the environmental impact study, they hold largemouth bass and bluegill. Here's a quote from the assessment:

"During the aquatic survey conducted on May 19, 2015, three fish species were observed in each
of the ponds: mosquito fish (Gambusia affinis), bluegill (Lepomis macrochirus) and largemouth
bass (Micropterus salmoides). These fish species are exotic or introduced and do not occur
naturally. Bluegill and largemouth bass prey heavily on amphibian and insect species, keeping
their numbers low. Although no amphibian species were caught during the seining survey or
directly observed, the artificial ponds have the potential to support amphibian species such as
bullfrogs (Lithobates catesbeianus), and Baja California chorus frogs (Pseudacris
hypochondriaca). No sensitive fish or amphibian species were caught or observed during the
aquatic survey and none are expected to occur within the artificial ponds. The presence of
largemouth bass and the lack of native emergent vegetation needed for breeding, due to pond
construction and routine maintenance activities, severely limits the presence of amphibian
species."

Source: https://www.cityofrc.us/cityhall/planning/current_projects/empire_lakes_specific_plan_project/default.asp
full file here: https://www.cityofrc.us/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?BlobID=25341

In the past, several area ponds have been drained, including the Red Hill pond and the Upland Quarry/Colonies pond, with the fish relocated through official channels to Guasti and Fairmount. These fish from the golf course ponds would be a valuable source of additional sport fish for local parks, and relocating them would be a great idea. Guasti is literally around the corner from Empire Lakes Golf Course. Anyone have any ideas on getting this approved? I'm not talking about unofficial bucket biology relocation, I'm referring to something like this:
http://www.dailybulletin.com/article/LF/20140517/NEWS/140519386

Any thoughts?

For anyone worrying about a ninja spot being blown up--pond drainage has already started, good luck. Would be best to have fish moved before it's complete.

GhettoBasster
02-02-2016, 03:26 PM
It's a shame to lose those ponds and a shame to lose those fish. I've never been skunked at them and they were a great place to take kids for a sure bite. There are some nice LMB in there. My PB from there was probably about 5lb. Heard there is also at least one Depps swimbait in there too. I'm not sure who to contact. Anyone have ideas? I think Ford Park would be a great place for them.

flyhigh123
02-02-2016, 04:45 PM
PETA lol111

GhettoBasster
02-02-2016, 06:27 PM
PETA lol111

Lol! Thanks! We can donate gaffs to them to collect the fish.

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
02-03-2016, 08:07 AM
Know any radical tree huggers?
;)

DarkShadow
02-03-2016, 09:36 AM
These fish species are exotic or introduced and do not occur naturally.

That's your 'gotcha' right there.

Now, if they would have found some endangered field mouse, some arroyo toad, or a 'steelhead' during the sampling, then you perhaps have a case to make. But since the EIR already lets you know that the fish are not native, good luck trying to get the tree huggers on your side. The powers that be will use the "well they weren't supposed to be there anyway," to save them the costs of trapping and transplanting these fish.

Unless some unofficial bucket brigade mission is launched, (which i'm sure will delight the DFG) I think these fish might be doomed.

parkermann2
02-03-2016, 11:58 AM
That was the first place I ever ninja'd. My buddy and I were crapping our pants thinking we were gonna get caught and sent to jail when we were 16. Last August we were fishing there and in the apartments right next to the golf course there was a bunch of gunshots then a car driving off very fast. It was a drive by shooting. We never heard cops so we just figured it was a drug deal gone bad or something like that

carpanglerdude
02-03-2016, 08:43 PM
That's your 'gotcha' right there.

Now, if they would have found some endangered field mouse, some arroyo toad, or a 'steelhead' during the sampling, then you perhaps have a case to make. But since the EIR already lets you know that the fish are not native, good luck trying to get the tree huggers on your side. The powers that be will use the "well they weren't supposed to be there anyway," to save them the costs of trapping and transplanting these fish.

Unless some unofficial bucket brigade mission is launched, (which i'm sure will delight the DFG) I think these fish might be doomed.

I noticed that in the report. They do mention several other areas of environmental concern, namely involving various migratory birds, etc. The report is preliminary, with a final version expected soon, but I doubt much will change.

The reason I think it's worth considering is that the City of Rancho paid to have all the fish from Red Hill Park moved out to Guasti just last year. This included not a single native fish, all "exotic or introduced, and not occurring naturally", including this very non-native fish:

http://mn1-lfweb.newscyclecloud.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/storyimage/LF/20140517/NEWS/140519386/AR/0/AR-140519386.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667

The animals are first placed in a 25-gallon bucket and transferred to a wading pool or large container. They are being stored on site until they can be cleaned up, checked out and relocated. The fish will be taken to Cucamonga-Guasti Regional Park in Ontario and the turtles to a facility in Carson, Vitela-Hayashi said.

carpanglerdude
02-03-2016, 08:46 PM
That was the first place I ever ninja'd. My buddy and I were crapping our pants thinking we were gonna get caught and sent to jail when we were 16. Last August we were fishing there and in the apartments right next to the golf course there was a bunch of gunshots then a car driving off very fast. It was a drive by shooting. We never heard cops so we just figured it was a drug deal gone bad or something like that

Weird, never heard about that. I have talked with many anglers that have fished there though. Despite it's proximity to the infamous Wash, it doesn't get talked about much.

castle
02-04-2016, 02:04 AM
Is this place off the 15 freeway?

DarkShadow
02-05-2016, 02:05 PM
I noticed that in the report. They do mention several other areas of environmental concern, namely involving various migratory birds, etc. The report is preliminary, with a final version expected soon, but I doubt much will change.

I'd recommend asking our local DFG spokesperson on the board on how a group of concerned citizens could assist with the saving of the fish, but I think you'll just some get a PDF regarding "year of young," or some other scientific term they think no one else knows, so they keep flying under the radar.

In fact, PM Mr Kwin. I wonder what his thoughts are on a third party doing what should be their own job, and the legality of capturing and releasing game fish in other bodies of water.

I'm curious the response you'd get.

carpanglerdude
02-10-2016, 03:52 PM
I'd recommend asking our local DFG spokesperson on the board on how a group of concerned citizens could assist with the saving of the fish, but I think you'll just some get a PDF regarding "year of young," or some other scientific term they think no one else knows, so they keep flying under the radar.

In fact, PM Mr Kwin. I wonder what his thoughts are on a third party doing what should be their own job, and the legality of capturing and releasing game fish in other bodies of water.

I'm curious the response you'd get.

I hoped to contact him, but he is just too popular- his inbox is completely full.

Hey kwin, please empty up your inbox!

DarkShadow
02-10-2016, 04:10 PM
I hoped to contact him, but he is just too popular- his inbox is completely full.

Hey kwin, please empty up your inbox!

Yes, we have a bunch of concerned citizens wondering how we can assist your agency.

Empty up that Inbox!

seal
02-10-2016, 05:27 PM
I hear it can be done. But I hear lot's of stuff......

carpanglerdude
04-11-2016, 07:46 PM
The final Environmental Impact Report will be released at the Public Hearing on April 13th, at 7PM, At the Rancho Cucamonga Civic Center.