PDA

View Full Version : Can't sleep!

Durdy Daug
01-26-2016, 04:08 AM
Well, I guess that sums it up, can't sleep, keep thinkin about fishing, going to the shop this morning to get the upgrades installed on the boat, gonna try for completion this Friday, hit the wood on Saturday, and Sunday, thinking about trolling either a BBZ, or a SAVAGE on the downrigger for stripers, if I can get the bugs worked out, I'm gonna fish the river next weekend. Ordered 2 AC plug kits, 1 for stripers, and the other for LMB, expect to get them in the mail in the next couple of days. I want to get a few "hand made" models while they have the buy 1 get 1 free, so many choices and I don't know which to buy. I will need to get $100 or more to get the free ones, thinking of only targeting river stripers with the "Hand made" ones.
Need help with model, color and size!
Please post if you know anything about AC plugs and trolling them for stripers @ the Colorado, most likely going to start with "Katherienes landing" next weekend! That is of coarse providing the boat is done and I can get a practice run in @ the wood!

jhernandez25
01-26-2016, 08:05 AM
Well, I guess that sums it up, can't sleep, keep thinkin about fishing, going to the shop this morning to get the upgrades installed on the boat, gonna try for completion this Friday, hit the wood on Saturday, and Sunday, thinking about trolling either a BBZ, or a SAVAGE on the downrigger for stripers, if I can get the bugs worked out, I'm gonna fish the river next weekend. Ordered 2 AC plug kits, 1 for stripers, and the other for LMB, expect to get them in the mail in the next couple of days. I want to get a few "hand made" models while they have the buy 1 get 1 free, so many choices and I don't know which to buy. I will need to get $100 or more to get the free ones, thinking of only targeting river stripers with the "Hand made" ones.
Need help with model, color and size!
Please post if you know anything about AC plugs and trolling them for stripers @ the Colorado, most likely going to start with "Katherienes landing" next weekend! That is of coarse providing the boat is done and I can get a practice run in @ the wood!

Am interested now on how your boat looks now if you dont mind posting some pictures :-), am hopping to finally make the maiden voyage for my boat this weekend FINGERS CROSSED all goes well.

seal
01-26-2016, 08:23 AM
12" original in dark rainbow for low light conditions regular rainbow for daytime. The gizzard shad are not in great numbers yet up river but I wouldn't hesitate going with a gizzard, that pattern is now available online on his store. If you decided to head to Mead down rig the gizzards, they are abundant in the lake and because they no longer plant trout the stripers have been keying in on gizzards.

Good luck!

Durdy Daug
01-26-2016, 06:48 PM
Well to be quite honest, I too am wondering how the boat will look! Would love to post pictures, but I don't know how to do it.

Durdy Daug
01-26-2016, 06:52 PM
Awesome, just bought 3 different models, including 1 in blizzard shad color! With the buy one get 1 free, that should mean that I will get 2 of them. What pound test should I rig them with?

Hsif
01-26-2016, 07:57 PM
Get the hand made AC Minnow 9" and 12" in dark rainbow. Fish it sub surface. I have caught more stripers on that plug than all my swimbaits combined in the last 15 years, switch the hooks out to stronger hooks of your choice. Be consistent and confident and you will be rewarded.

Hsif
01-26-2016, 07:59 PM
25lb or 30lb momoi line, you might have to order it online since its hard to find

flyhigh123
01-26-2016, 09:47 PM
Awesome, just bought 3 different models, including 1 in blizzard shad color! With the buy one get 1 free, that should mean that I will get 2 of them. What pound test should I rig them with?

if you trolling, go heavier... dont want to lose them. they are reaction bites.

Durdy Daug
01-27-2016, 06:06 PM
Okay, the gizzard shad, that is the color. What model should I get? There are several choices. The 9" & 12" were recommended model; minnow in dark rainbow. As for the gizzard shad, what model and size do you recommend. Additionally, I am not actually sure at all where the best lake or landing would be most productive this time of year. I called the shop today and the boat will not be ready till next week, therefore I plan to leave the IE at about 10:00 AM on Friday February 5th. I will stay and fish till Sunday about noon and then start the long drive home. I expect this to be the first of many weekends on the river this year, so I will eventually fish most of the lakes up there, but for my first trip I want to get the biggest bang for the buck!
Hoping for responses soon! Will be looking through out the night. The faster I order these plugs the faster I will get them, and thereby the faster I can try them!

Durdy Daug
01-27-2016, 06:37 PM
Okay, I've said that I am impatient, just bought 4 more hand made plugs, the minnow 9" & 12" fatty in dark rainbow, 2 of the original one 12" fatty in dark rainbow, and a 12" fatty in gizzard. As I understand the offer, I will now get in the mail 8 more AC plugs. I should now have about 22 New AC plugs coming in the mail soon, because I ordered 3 hand made plugs last night = 6 , & 4 more today = 8 + the striper kit, as well as the LMB kit = 8 more for a grand total of 22 plugs, now I won't freak out if I lose one or two, just hope they are worth the $...

EL JEFE
01-27-2016, 07:38 PM
Durdy Daug---

Below should help you out some.......

Been thinking og heading to the river myself. Same plan, drive uo a for a few days and head back. I posted on AC site about info on locations and places to share. Cool guys on that site. Below is what was shared with me by one of the members. I, too, want to purchase some of those AC plugs. Handmade trout 12" in silver shad color and Hatchery Trout 11" in gizzard shad for me. Maybe one day we can buddy boat/drive out there. Be cool to take two rigs.

If you go to cottonwood cove you can charge there. Otherwise I would stay at the el rey in searchlight, bring a long extension cord and you should be able to reach your boat. It's kind of a dive but for 45 dollars a night it's worth it. Lower Mohave (Katherine's landing) might be good right now, I hate staying in Laughlin when I'm fishing though. The river there is always worth a try if the flows are low. Lake Mead will produce numbers with live shad or deep trolling reading reports most say its good back in the wash.

Hey sorry i forgot to mention. If you stay at the Hoover Dam lodge i've never had anything stolen or messed with out of my boat. There are security guards who patrol the parking lot every so often. It is also very close to lake mead and willow beach. Cottonwood cove has a hotel that is 90 bucks a night, that's a good place to stay if you plan on fishing that area. The latest reports i've heard have been slow around cottonwood and better down by Davis Dam and Princess Cove. Lake Mead is a good bet to fill a cooler, but you may have to use something other than ac plugs if they're not chewing that day. Take a cast net and go back into the vegas wash and catch live shad if you have a livewell/baitwell.
Willow is super duper hit and miss, with no trout your probably better off downlake where the shad are.

https://www.acplugs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2588

https://www.acplugs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2589

https://www.acplugs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2582

Durdy Daug
01-27-2016, 07:54 PM
I am going on the 5th, would love to tag team with you if you are up to it. I have several "swim baits" as will as crank baits and the like, I have a live well and a frabil live bait container, rods and reels for fishing as light as 6 pound to as heavy as 40 pound. I carry a long extension cord in my truck as well, hotel room or tent, it doesn't really matter to me, as far as the batteries are concerned, I have 2 batteries for my trolling motor for just that reason, I can go twice as long on a charge as normal. 3 batteries including the main motor battery, with a 12 volt system, they looked at me like I had 2 heads when I ordered the extra battery for the boat at the show room, but after I explained, the guy said it made since (don't think he was into fishing). I am not looking to do much in the way of sleeping, I will be there to fish, and I'm not really picky about the species (except carp), cat fish at night will be just fine as well as striper in the daylight!

EL JEFE
01-27-2016, 08:14 PM
DD, sounds like you're dialed in! Can't make the 5th but perhaps sometime in the future. I work to damn much! I only have certain days I can take off. What boat do you have? Sounds like its pretty new. I have a 2014 Gregor 17 CC. Livewell, bait tank, 24V trolling motor, 9" Garmin FF/Plotter, VHF, etc.... I fish both fresh and salt. In my younger days I used to go all night too! At 53yo, not quite so much anymore!!!

Durdy Daug
01-27-2016, 08:47 PM
Well I'm pushing 52 years old, I have fished pretty much ocean exclusively for the past 20 years, in August 2015, I bought a tracker 2016 pro195txw 150 HP Mercury, live well, 12 volt trolling motor, 2 RD's ,but only the 4 & 5 Lawrence chirp models. I can actually go pretty much which ever days, just need to give notice, worked 2 jobs for 20 years, now I just want to take a little of my remaining days / years fishing. I spent my youth / health making money, and now I just want to enjoy life for all it has left to offer with good clean fun (FISHING!)
My lovely wife of 26 years doesn't quite understand my passion for fishing, but in truth, I don't get her passion for shopping! I think that sort of makes us even! Except that only she enjoys the eating of the fish that I catch! Red meat or chicken only for me!
My biggest physical is getting her to "allow for me to go" I have in excess of 1200 hours of vacation time saved at work, so there is not too much problems with getting the time off! Let me know when and where you want to give it a go!
I hope to get some suggestions as to where my best chances will be at.