PDA

View Full Version : How much longer??

Dsrt Tortise
01-23-2016, 05:13 PM
Well El Nino sure hasn't been what was expected of it has it?? I wonder if the water from up north will trickle its way down here anytime soon. In other words does anybody have any idea when we will be able to launch our own boats again!!!!!

Dsrtortise :Dead Horse::BFish::Fishing Catch::Fishing Catch:

shinbob
01-23-2016, 06:04 PM
Hasn't rained much down here, that's for sure, but Northern California has been getting good rain pretty much non-stop for the past month.

Since Christmas, Trinity Lake is up 19 feet, Shasta is up 36 feet, Oroville is up 41 feet. Even Don Pedro, further down the chain but feeds Castaic directly, is up 12 feet. And the Northern/Central Sierra snowpack is about 120% of normal. Got a couple of months more to go, hope it keeps coming! We need a slight southern shift to keep our trees green down here.

Stinkbait
01-23-2016, 08:17 PM
About 15 feet of water to come up a 45 degree angle..............

parkermann2
01-23-2016, 08:55 PM
I read an article last week because I was curious about when this rain was supposed to be here. It basically said that most el ninos have a dry January and come February the rain starts and goes through May pretty heavily. It also said the there is a 95% chance this year is gonna be El Niņo like rains.

Dsrt Tortise
02-19-2016, 05:26 PM
I'm still waiting!!!

Dsrtortse:LOL:

shinbob
02-19-2016, 06:22 PM
I'm still waiting!!!

Dsrtortse:LOL:

You'll be waiting for a while! No rain in so cal expected until at least March. February will turn out to be the hottest, dryest February ever recorded in LA. January 2016 was not only the warmest January world-wide, but also had the largest temp deviation of ANY month, ever. Breaking the record set all the way back in ... December 2015. Next biggest was October 2015, then November 2015....

It will probably still rain in March and April, and No./Central California are still doing okay, but any hopes of this drought ending this year are long gone.

DEVOREFLYER
02-19-2016, 08:10 PM
Well the guru's that manage the water in the state are doing a bang up job. During the January flooding and heavy rains in the north the pumps were down for maintenance and that water went to the ocean. The duct is being repaired in Kern Co and won't be back up until March. The stupidity is overwelming. Then we have this little diddy.http://www.govtech.com/fs/Water-Release-from-Californias-Folsom-Lake-Prompts-Experts-to-Seek-Guideline-Revisions.html

Baja1ab
02-19-2016, 10:00 PM
It's killing me. Bought a new boat in Nov and with all this El Niņo talk, was hoping I'd get to jam around DVL this spring and use all the fancy electronic do dads and whatnot. Looks like I may just have to keep turning left on Perris like it's the Perris 250. :Bawling:

Ifishtoolittle
02-20-2016, 12:51 AM
Climate change.

HawgZWylde
02-20-2016, 07:18 AM
Climate change.

Better sell your bicycle, when you breath too hard you're exhaling too much carbon dioxide...

http://www.mercurynews.com/science/ci_24993601/california-drought-past-dry-periods-have-lasted-more

HawgZWylde
02-20-2016, 07:25 AM
Well the guru's that manage the water in the state are doing a bang up job. During the January flooding and heavy rains in the north the pumps were down for maintenance and that water went to the ocean. The duct is being repaired in Kern Co and won't be back up until March. The stupidity is overwelming. Then we have this little diddy.http://www.govtech.com/fs/Water-Release-from-Californias-Folsom-Lake-Prompts-Experts-to-Seek-Guideline-Revisions.html

Dev, didn't you get the memo? The Feds know better...

DEVOREFLYER
02-20-2016, 07:28 AM
Dev, didn't you get the memo? The Feds know better...

I must have missed that one........F'n nanny state.......#smeltlivesmatter...

etucker1959
02-20-2016, 09:43 AM
It looks like another GOOD EXAMPLE of CHEAP burecrates doing their job. Hmm I wonder who the CHEAP minded people are of the world. I'll give you a hint, it starts with a C !!!!!!!!! (on a side note) Did you notice in the article how they talk about Climate change as IF it was a non deniable reality!!!! Didn't they get the memo, Climate Change is a hoax!!!!!! lol

kwin
02-20-2016, 01:52 PM
Water has to be released into the rivers that flow out to the delta to combat saltwater intrusion. if this isn't done then the a desalinization plant would be required make the water pumped out of the delta to southern California potable for human consumption and or useable for crops.

Ifishtoolittle
02-20-2016, 02:56 PM
Better sell your bicycle, when you breath too hard you're exhaling too much carbon dioxide...

http://www.mercurynews.com/science/ci_24993601/california-drought-past-dry-periods-have-lasted-more

Kinda hard to sweep it under the rug when January was the hottest one the world has ever seen. Texas floods, abnormally warm east coast temps, and previous hail mary winters over there would make any rational person think that their activities just MAY contribute to this pile of mess. More desalination plants wouldn't hurt though.

HawgZWylde
02-20-2016, 03:24 PM
Kinda hard to sweep it under the rug when January was the hottest one the world has ever seen. Texas floods, abnormally warm east coast temps, and previous hail mary winters over there would make any rational person think that their activities just MAY contribute to this pile of mess. More desalination plants wouldn't hurt though.

It's called the weather + El Nino. But indeed, certain folks are still attempting to use that hogwash for financial and political gain. Show your sources that aren't linked to some sort of government funding...

etucker1959
02-20-2016, 03:35 PM
It's called the weather + El Nino. But indeed, certain folks are still attempting to use that hogwash for financial and political gain. Show your sources that aren't linked to some sort of government funding...
It must be a World Wide conspiracy!!!!! Everyone seems to be in on it!!!!!

BassinPLS
02-21-2016, 08:00 AM
Water has to be released into the rivers that flow out to the delta to combat saltwater intrusion. if this isn't done then the a desalinization plant would be required make the water pumped out of the delta to southern California potable for human consumption and or useable for crops.

Kwin,

Thank you for providing this information. I was of the opinion that the Delta Smelt were the reason the pumps were not turned on during the dry period.

seal
02-21-2016, 12:42 PM

There is no scientific evidence that this El Nino was caused by "climate change". It is impossible to have that knowledge at this point, studies must be done, peer reviewed study's, you know the kind that always get tossed around to make fun of those damn stupid conservatives.

It's like the boy that cried wolf, one day climate change might be the reason but if every time we have a heat wave or a few hot years everybody claims climate change it's going to fall on deaf ears.

etucker1959
02-21-2016, 01:05 PM
There is no scientific evidence that this El Nino was caused by "climate change". It is impossible to have that knowledge at this point, studies must be done, peer reviewed study's, you know the kind that always get tossed around to make fun of those damn stupid conservatives.

It's like the boy that cried wolf, one day climate change might be the reason but if every time we have a heat wave or a few hot years everybody claims climate change it's going to fall on deaf ears.
I just read an article about that, I'll see if I can find it so you can read it.

kwin
02-22-2016, 02:32 PM
Kwin,

Thank you for providing this information. I was of the opinion that the Delta Smelt were the reason the pumps were not turned on during the dry period.

regardless of whether the pumps are on to pump water south or not, freshwater is necessary to offset the tidal push of seawater inland. with an increasing sea level, more water is needed to off set the additional tidal push. proof of this is anglers are now catching halibut and other predominately saltwater species in franks tract, which is ordinarily more fresh water than brackish...until relatively recently. the tide is coming in higher than it has in the past and there is less water falling out of the sky and banked in our reservoirs to combat the inflow. combine that with federal mandates to protect things like delta smelt and winter run Chinook etc and the shell game of how much water is released and from where gets more complicated. combine that with the "need" for water down south for humanity and/or agriculture with water right claims and things get even more interesting.

Dsrt Tortise
02-24-2016, 06:47 PM
This all just sounds like more State mandated BULLSH%T. How many hours of schooling does it take to tell outright scientific lies to the general public. Maybe it's time to speak up and not be followers of what every State Employee feeds us over the net.

FED UP

Dsrttortise :Finger::Finger::Angry::Angry::mad::mad:

DEVOREFLYER
02-24-2016, 08:39 PM
Water may be on the way.
Aqueduct starts filling tomorrow since the repairs are completed. They have to fill the repaired section slowly to prevent damage. Probably 5 days or so and then it's balls out.

Higher flows than we've seen in years 3000 cfs. DVL may finally receive some water.

Baja1ab
02-24-2016, 09:01 PM
Water may be on the way.
Aqueduct starts filling tomorrow since the repairs are completed. They have to fill the repaired section slowly to prevent damage. Probably 5 days or so and then it's balls out.

Higher flows than we've seen in years 3000 cfs. DVL may finally receive some water.

Don't tease me like that.... :Bug Eyes:

HawgZWylde
03-07-2016, 08:03 AM
Climate change.

http://realclimatescience.com/2016/03/noaa-radiosonde-data-shows-no-warming-for-58-years/

kwin
03-07-2016, 10:18 AM
the lake dropped about 3 more feet last week.

shinbob
03-07-2016, 10:44 AM
http://realclimatescience.com/2016/03/noaa-radiosonde-data-shows-no-warming-for-58-years/

Wow. Just wow. The paper this blogger cited from 1978 was co-authored by Jim Angell, who is a pioneer in climate science and has authored many, many papers since then showing that climate change is a real thing.

First off, it turned out that the data cited in that one paper used faulty measuring stations in the tropics. Apparently the design of those early stations couldn't handle the environmental conditions in the area.

But that doesn't really matter. Who cares. What I find particularly galling is that this blogger KNOWS this, and chooses to cherry-pick this ONE paper over all the rest published since then by the same author to make his point.

It is one thing to debate the data -- I was a climate change skeptic for many, many years, so I get it. That's how the scientific process should work - examine the hypothesis and try to prove or refute it. But what this blogger is doing is downright fraud, and since he knows it, that to me is just evil of the worst kind.

Climate change is real. It just is. Even the Republican party admits it. What you're really trying to disprove is anthropogenic (man-made) global warming. There's still debate and critical thinking that can be done in that area, but frankly, nutjobs like this blogger (and the wackos that commented on that post) are undermining your cause.

Tony91723
03-07-2016, 11:03 AM
the lake dropped about 3 more feet last week.

Not sure about those numbers, I was sight fishing last week for fish in 3+ feet. Went back yesterday and the beds are probably 2 feet out of the water from shore. The lady at the marina also said they lost 6 feet within the week.

HuskerRod
03-07-2016, 12:22 PM
A drop in three feet would cut off access to the quarry for sure since it was barely two to three feet of prop clearance (maybe less in spots) to get in there a few weeks ago. Drop the lake six feet....ughhhhhhh!!!

Tony91723
03-07-2016, 02:04 PM
A drop in three feet would cut off access to the quarry for sure since it was barely two to three feet of prop clearance (maybe less in spots) to get in there a few weeks ago. Drop the lake six feet....ughhhhhhh!!!

In another forum there was talk that the quarry is not accessible. I'll be there Wednesday with a boat rental I'll confirm.

Stinkbait
03-07-2016, 05:20 PM
The quarry is not what it once was due to low water levels, so dont stress over it. What is cool are the new offshore jetties, tree lines and rock piles i never new existed. They are not on the fishin' map series topos nor did i see them on my buddies HDS'. Lets make America great again !

noleash
03-09-2016, 11:04 AM

Being such as water commods are the hottest tickets on Wall Street these types of obsurdities will become and are the norm from here to eternity! Good Luck everyone!!! :Smile:

CityAngler
03-09-2016, 11:17 AM
The quarry is not what it once was due to low water levels, so dont stress over it. What is cool are the new offshore jetties, tree lines and rock piles i never new existed. They are not on the fishin' map series topos nor did i see them on my buddies HDS'. Lets make America great again !

Yes!!! Lets make America Great Again.

HuskerRod
03-09-2016, 12:49 PM

Yah, last time I fished the quarry I didn't get spit, but it looked and felt so odd with the water so low. A huge rock point running east/west right down the middle. I did see a lot of bass up against the walls. Will be really strange when the water gets low enough that the quarry is completely cut off from the main lake. Maybe some of our kayak bretheron will venture back. I've seen a few in there over the years. Long kick and hope the wind don't pick up .

MillsapBoyz
03-22-2016, 09:20 PM
Just read in the paper they are going to start filling DV next week for the first time in 4 years. While So Cal has missed the El Nino, apparently Nor Cal has not. Just got a bass boat crossing my fingers that it will open soon.

noleash
03-23-2016, 03:51 AM
Just read in the paper they are going to start filling DV next week for the first time in 4 years. While So Cal has missed the El Nino, apparently Nor Cal has not. Just got a bass boat crossing my fingers that it will open soon.
Actually I might not be that stoked for private boats on the water again for the simple reason that the peace and tranquility of one of the last open spaces in so cal ISN'T F./;[=D UP BY MR D.,K in the mouth A,,.;,E destroying any chance of a quality bite with his 90000 lbs of nigthmare screaming across the lake! But ooooh well, take the good with the discustingly Bad!

DarkShadow
03-23-2016, 02:19 PM
...destroying any chance of a quality bite with his 90000 lbs of nigthmare screaming across the lake! But ooooh well, take the good with the discustingly Bad!

You got that right.

There goes the tranquility.

Dsrt Tortise
03-24-2016, 04:07 PM
From what I heard this Wednesday morning while I was at Last Chance Marine that water is now being added into the lake. Any responses to this???

Dsrttortise :Fishing Catch::Fishing Catch::Fishing Hole:

DEVOREFLYER
03-24-2016, 04:17 PM
The filling to get to a level where private boats will be able to launch won't happen overnight. And when it does get to a level to launch I predict a lot of boats are going to loose their lower unit from hitting submerged structure that isn't going to be marked.

Stinkbait
03-24-2016, 07:15 PM
Per the dock workers on Wed., they are just putting back the 4 feet they took out about 5 weeks ago.
Per what Devore said its going to be open season on lower units.
I bumped an unmarked structure in a rental yesterday in Rawson.
Pretty nasty up Rawson now.

You know the difference between a flat bottom bass boat and a rental boat is? The are just some places you wont take your flat bottom.
The joke is usually about jeeps and rentals.

DEVOREFLYER
03-24-2016, 07:21 PM
BassCat owners aren't afraid of skinny water our boats are rarely in the water.

MillsapBoyz
03-24-2016, 08:04 PM
According to the article I read in the Daily Bulletin they said they are going to fill it. We shall see.

noleash
03-25-2016, 06:02 AM
BassCat owners aren't afraid of skinny water our boats are rarely in the water.

You know what go good with speed in a boat? Alcohol! :Idea:

DEVOREFLYER
03-25-2016, 06:15 AM
Just like an airplane no Alcohol for me, 8 hours from bottle to throttle.

Skinny
03-31-2016, 04:17 PM
Can anyone actually verify if the faucet has been turned on?

GdHkSet1
04-07-2016, 01:29 PM
Can anyone actually verify if the faucet has been turned on?

Stopped by today to take a peak at the Marina cove before my Dr appointment today, looks like it is. 1st pic was last month- seeing the bottom and some shrubs
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk51/GdHkSet/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsomwrbxih.jpeg (http://s277.photobucket.com/user/GdHkSet/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsomwrbxih.jpeg.html)
Today around 1245:
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk51/GdHkSet/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpst8vjilho.jpeg (http://s277.photobucket.com/user/GdHkSet/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpst8vjilho.jpeg.html). Some nice gills are being landed from shore towards the NE corner. I plan to hit it next weds a.m

Skinny
04-07-2016, 03:28 PM
Looking promising, thanks for the report hookset.

NFCD I
04-09-2016, 07:31 AM
Thanks for the photo's. I think they need a bigger faucet. With Skinner getting closer to full pool, I sure thought DVL would have more water in it.

HawgZWylde
04-09-2016, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the photo's. I think they need a bigger faucet. With Skinner getting closer to full pool, I sure thought DVL would have more water in it.

The amount of water already added to DVL probably would have filled an empty Skinner up twice over. Two different water sources with Skinner coming from the Colorado river and DVL coming from NorCal. The Duct coming down the central valley twice had to be shut down due to damage and politics also plays a big role in water being released to come south.