PDA

View Full Version : Cold and slow

JHDucky
01-15-2016, 12:38 PM
I made it out to SARL this morning. Got there at 4:45 and about 140 cars in front of me. The line got in quickly when they opened the gates. That was the end of my good luck fishing. I got a spot across from the boat docks. Only two fish caught on that shore by the time I left at 11:30. Drove around the lake and talked to a few people, not much luck anywhere from what I was told.
I tried different power baits, power worms and night crawlers using garlic attractants and 6" to 1' leaders. I cast close to the shore, like 10' out to as far as I could cast. Well it is fishing and not shopping. I was nice to get away from work and the house chores for a little while.
Tight lines

JAG107
01-15-2016, 05:46 PM
Thanks for posting the report. It sure felt like fishy weather to me today, strange that the bite wasn't better. Maybe the high pressure system blowing through earlier this week had an impact?

Marley
01-15-2016, 05:58 PM
Odd for a day after a stock. You mention very short leaders; was the water muddied?

JHDucky
01-15-2016, 06:45 PM
The water was very muddy, I forgot to mention that. You could not see your bait when reeling in until it was just a few feet from the shore.

Marley
01-15-2016, 09:46 PM
Yikes, that's what I thought. The lake is at the mercy of the Santa Ana River and when there's rain, there's mud. But those fish they planted yesterday will still be there and some day they will be able to see a bait. Folks say that you just shorten your leader when the water gets dirty but it's really never worked well for me. Good thing there's four great-sounding football games on this weekend....

jhernandez25
01-19-2016, 08:15 AM
Definitely A super slow day, I arrived around 3:00 am with about 30 cars ahead of me luckily everyone ahead of me headed to Chris's Pond which was probably a smart move since that was the only place I saw people actually catching anything the bite was still slow but they where biting more than at the big lake, I scored a spot at the the bubble whole and no bites whats so ever, but towards the end of my trip I did score a dink enough for a fish taco for one :-). The water pouring out of the pipes was extremely mudied and Veteran fisherman around me were saying that wasn't a good sign. Either way had a great time and met more fellow fisherman. Until next time :-).

Nuoc Mam
01-19-2016, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the report. When water is muddy like that I usually go to a 2-3 inch leader yes, super super short leader. I've always had luck like that but not always guaranteed though. Sometimes I'll just fish about 5ft out. If all else fails, pack up and leave haha j/k keep moving sometimes if possible and hopefully the bite changes. Chris pond is usually the go to lake if the main lake is slow.

Good luck out there and hope you score limits the next time around.

CityAngler
01-19-2016, 04:16 PM
That is an expensive lake to get skunked at.

My buddy was there Sunday and also caught a skunk.

Mr T-rex
01-19-2016, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the report
I also had a friend go out there and told me it was completely dead all around
It has to do with the quality of the water in my opinion! Muddy water no good

jhernandez25
01-20-2016, 07:30 AM
Thanks for the report

Couldn't agree any more, the water clarity is definitely playing a big role but that's how it goes sometimes you do good and sometimes you get skunk the key is not giving up :-), with this light rain we have been having might just give the lake another week before i head out again.

Number1topgun
01-20-2016, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the report

Yeah it has to be the water. If anyone plans on going soon, the only spot that I saw people catching fish was right by the docks and boat ramp. Try a white mice tail or something that they can see easily. I caught one and one other guy caught one using white mice tail too. We were both on opposite sides of the boat ramp. I saw another Osprey dive 5 feet away from me and caught a nice little trout. Every other spot I tried yeaterday was DEAD. Bubble hole, Chris' Pond, and even the Pump House. Once the water starts to clear up im sure the fishing will go back to the way it was.

Mr T-rex
01-20-2016, 04:02 PM
The rain is coming saturday also
We basically need to work harder for our fish and thats what makes fishing interesting
Tight lines

DarkShadow
01-20-2016, 04:16 PM
140 cars?...

Mr T-rex
01-21-2016, 10:18 AM
140 cars?...
It gets crazyyyyyyy

jhernandez25
01-21-2016, 10:29 AM
It gets crazyyyyyyy

Extremely Crazy, Especially since its pretty much the only Trout lake near by that stocks weekly. I have seen people start lining up a non the day before they intend to fish, which I understand if you want to get your "SPOT" No matter what I enjoy getting out there if its alone or with company.

pineapple express
01-21-2016, 08:11 PM
Jr & I got skunked there on Monday. Only saw 2 hook ups the whole day. Super slow.
Tried everything in the box too. Never do well at this lake. Don't think I'm going back either.
Glad some of you guys did ok.