PDA

View Full Version : Weather lookin good for this weekend... soooooooo looks like I'm goin fishin.

Durdy Daug
01-14-2016, 06:24 PM
Tried the trolling thing again last Sunday, didn't work out so good, but I can't let that keep the Durdy Daug down!
I've been looking at adding an electric downrigger to my new boat, looking at the "Digi-troll 10" with the bottom tracking upgrade, anyone have any ideas about that? I was not successful with the lead core, nor with the "U" rigs. Hired a guide to set up my fish finders and go show me around Parris for $500 but I made the fatal error of telling the wife... Well to say that it didn't go over very well would be a BIG understatement, so my latest plan is to just start messin with the machines and see what I can do to make them better, after all, if I really screw them up, I can always revert back to the factory settings! In all reality I'm kind of glad things worked out this way, cause now I can use that $ towards the downrigger.
Can't wait to land my first double didget fresh water fish (not counting catfish and carp!)
If my memory serves me correctly, the LMB should start to pick up at Parris in like 2 more weeks? At least that is what I recall having happened last year, and then mid March at the wood... Any ideas about that hypothesis out there?

iPhish
01-14-2016, 06:31 PM
You don't need to spend $500 bones you dury dawg!!

Stinkbait
01-14-2016, 06:40 PM
I have read most of your reports.
Have you tried deep jigging with rapala ice jigs or jigging spoons over/under bait balls? You should.
I would meter the main channel drop off on both sides in the middle of the lake and outside of the inlet.
Fish will winter out there in the middle of no where on the channel ledges.

Durdy Daug
01-14-2016, 06:46 PM
Well, that was the quote, and I'm not getting any better at reading my electronics, to say that I am a little short on patience would be putting it nicely, in my mind I know that I just need to "put in the time & pay my dues" like I did with the ocean, but the older I get the more I want instant results! I am very fortunate to have such a great wife, she often saves me from myself!
Know anything about the "Lowrance elete 4 chirp & the elete 5 chirp?"

Durdy Daug
01-14-2016, 06:58 PM
If I could identify the bait balls and the predator fish I would use an ice jig or spoon, I bought several of both, but don't know when and how to use them.
I feel kind of silly writing all these posts, but I really do enjoy fishing and now it is my only pass time. My wife tells me that I paid as much time and attention to her as I do fishing....... I know that this is just a phase that I'm going through, the mad passion for fresh water fishing will settle down over time, but for now I'm like an addict waiting for my next fix! Hence all the trips to the wood! I am also really trying hard to improve my fishing skills, the tackle stores love to see people like me I'm sure, cause even though I have no idea how to use it, I just need to hear "I caught fish with this..."!

Stinkbait
01-14-2016, 07:40 PM
You'll see a big blob on your monitor, usually red. You will have several feet of water above and below the blob.
A perfect scenario would be to have the streaking arcs below the blob. Even if you did not see these I would drop the jigs down to the bait ball and snap them up and let them free fall down. Give it a little bit and move along.

Durdy Daug
01-14-2016, 07:53 PM
Thanks! I'm gonna try that, I have seen different color patches, but if I recall they were shades of blue, what does the different colors represent?

fishmounter
01-14-2016, 11:01 PM
DD - You should check YouTube to see if there's any tutorials on using those Lowrance units and also on how to fish those Rapala Ice Jig and jigging spoons. Pretty sure there will be some videos there to help you.

Doghunter
01-15-2016, 04:34 AM
Daug,
Check out DoctorSonar.com he sells a DVD that shows the installation and usage of a Elite/Mark CHIRP unit. He goes through the basic and advanced setting of the units.

Blair

DEVOREFLYER
01-15-2016, 10:04 AM
Lots of screen shots of electronics here: http://www.bbcboards.net/forumdisplay.php?f=175

seal
01-15-2016, 10:32 AM
There are quite a few "humps" at Silverwood. Vertical jig those areas with spoons or ice jigs but make sure and bring something to deflate the swim bladders of any largemouth caught.

flyhigh123
01-15-2016, 11:02 AM
FF, even setting it to auto, it will show you bait balls and striper arches... that's how i started... i even used the fish symbols and that will give you an idea as well.

If you want to learn how to troll and not waste your time and gas, hire TO. If you want to troll this time of year, TO will show you how to do it with the downrigger, but IMO, wait until spring for trolling. Anyways, blindly trolling wont catch you fish. you can hire other guides, but if you are keyed in on stripers, TO is the guy. If you want LMB, then the guys Perris DVL guides are great. Just trying to honestly get you on fish and with TO's help, you will literally catch 5 to 10 times more fish.

When i fish silverwood, i usually get close to or limit out and this is with TO's one time guide service.

Durdy Daug
01-15-2016, 07:10 PM
Thank you to every one, I did go to doctorsonar and bought the DVD today, now I just got to wait on the snail mail to get it. I also found the booklet for the machines today and just got in the house after setting them up as best as I thought made since. PM'ed TO but haven't heard back from him yet. Boat goes in the shop next week or the next for the electronic downrigger I figure to put in a day at skinner considering that the boat will be in the shop for a week or so, that will take care of the 8 day quarintine!
What the neck I do have the spare boat for that week anyways so it's not like I will have to totally dry out!
Again thanks everyone for your advise and thoughts expressed! Got to get some shut eye to charge my batteries for tomorrow's fishin fun!

Fishin4runner
01-15-2016, 10:32 PM
hey bro, don't waste so much money on an electric downrigger. You will do just fine with something like a cannon easi troll. lesss money and will get the job done......check ebay i paid less than 65.00 total...And you need to try T/O guide service it will do wonders take a look..............

catchingsomefish
01-15-2016, 11:00 PM
hey bro, don't waste so much money on an electric downrigger. You will do just fine with something like a cannon easi troll. lesss money and will get the job done......check ebay i paid less than 65.00 total...And you need to try T/O guide service it will do wonders take a look..............

I completely agree, not only will Bob get you on the fish, he will teach you how to properly read your graph, identify bait, and active fish this way you can make the right choices when you go out.....He has been crazy busy the past few weeks at his "other " job, he will get back to you....spoke with him Monday myself........the pictures above done lie!...........Dave